Ananda Loaner Tour
Apr 25, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #46 of 124
I am currently enjoying the Sundara that are on loan to me as part of the European loaner tour, I would be very happy to also get a chance to try the Ananda if they are coming through Spain, although my wallet may not agree! :)

Apr 26, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #47 of 124
I would like to test Ananda and see whether it improves on my current setup. I currently have HE400i and while reasonably happy with the HP I have been thinking of an upgrade. I am in Brussels, Belgium.

Apr 26, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #48 of 124
I would like to test these headphones as well and compare those with my Audeze isine 20 (I know it is different animals). I am a resident in Boston area, Massachusetts, USA.

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #50 of 124
Amsterdam, Netherlands here. would love to take part!

Always liked sound signature of the Hifiman family.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #51 of 124
Damian here from Lubartow, Poland (Lubelskie voivodship).

I'd love to hear the Ananda for few reasons - gaining more experience with full-size headphones, comparing them with my AQ Nighthawk and NightOwl on both portable rig (DX220, WM1A) and a stationary rig I will get in few next days/weeks. Also new Hifiman lineup is very interesting:wink:

Apr 29, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #52 of 124
The Ananda arrived today.

14cqxkw.jpg

I'm definitely gonna need some time to hear the differences here...

A few things to note:

1. The Ananda needs a smidge less on the volume pot compared to the Edition XX. A smidge.

2. The Ananda weighs 21g less (399g) but I honestly can't tell the difference in weight. Both are acceptable due to even weight distribution.

3. I don't know if it's because of the many more hours on the Edition XX, but the Ananda clamps slightly little more on my head, and the suspension headband has a little bit more presence on my head. Both are quite comfortable, regardless. The size adjustment on the Ananda's headband is a lot like Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990. They grip HARD, and leave marks between each dot.

4qitmc.jpg

4. The cups and pads are nigh identical. The only differences for me would be that the 'glue' used on the Ananda is darker than the XX. The headband is obviously different and higher quality on the Ananda.

5. The Ananda comes with two cables. One shorter one that is similar to the one used on the XX, which terminates into a right angled 3.5mm plug with a 1/4" snap on adapter. The other is quite a bit longer and terminates into a beefy straight 1/4" plug (the XX does not come with this cable). The cables are similar to the XX cable, but they are see through (you can see the inner wires), whereas the XX cable is see through but covered with an inner sleeve of some kind. Also the dual 3.5mm mono plugs that connect on the headphone side are silver on the Ananda, and black on the XX.

I'm on a Modi 3/Magni 3 combo. As far as sound goes... that's gonna take some time. They definitely share similar sound, though there are differences. Whether that's due to difference in clamp, hours used, impedance/sensitivity/volume, drivers, I certainly can't say. That's gonna take time. It definitely sounds great though.

I don't like doing straight comparisons because it's simply hard to A/B due to length of time changing between them, and not being able to match the volume precisely. I will certainly be able to hear differences in frequency tests through sinegen however, which should make it a little easier to know what's different at least there.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #53 of 124
Apr 30, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #54 of 124
Hi, from Houston, TX here.

I am seriously in the market for the Ananda's and would like to try them out. I really am thinking about the HiFiMAN X Edition XX from Massdrop (aka Drop) and would like to know how they compare so I can make the right purchasing decision. @Mad Lust Envy, I am looking forward to your review. I am looking for a clean sounding headphone overall with a wide soundstage, bass extensions present, nice and tight. Hopefully, I am looking at the right gear here.

I recently got into HiFi audio with the HD6XX, Schiit Magni 3/Modi 3 Multibit. I am awaiting my order of the THX AAA 789 due in August and think the Ananda or X Edition XX will pair nicely with it.

May 1, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #55 of 124
Doing some frequency tests and doing my best to swap between the Ananda and the Edition XX, it's clear that they share a resemblance with similar dips and rises in the frequencies. it's not a perfect match, but the general frequency line is more similar than different with similar peaks and dips. Since I don't have a way to perfectly volume match, this is far from scientific, but if someone were to tell me to compare between the Ananda and the Edition XX based on general frequency tests... I'm almost 100% sure I'd always fail. Slight differences would be things like a peak being at 3.3khz on the XX and at 3.6khz on the Ananda. They both have a steep dip at 7.5khz, but the Ananda climbs to 8khz a little taller than the XX, but they both dip again immediately after... it's really hard to tell between them based on just minor things like this. Who knows if it's just driver to driver variation, and not targeted changes.

They definitely share similar tonal characteristics as well, leaving it to things like imaging and soundstage, and the last bit of refinement as the things that may be different between them, and I'm gonna have my doubts that I'll be able to tell the difference.

If I were a betting man, I think most people would fail to hear enough of a difference from my impressions. Leaving it to price differences, availability, if you prefer the old headband or new one, and whether you want two cables instead of just the disappointingly small one on the XX.

I'd argue that the premium on the Ananda MAY be worth it if you want the better cable and headband design. Whether the cost difference makes sense, I'll leave up to you. I think when you factor these things, the Ananda premium does make sense, as well as why the XX is cheaper.

Either way, they're both amazing performers, with a beautifully balanced and tonally accurate sound, IMHO.

20zz7dv.jpg

If anything, the Ananda is a little more clearer and coherent in the vocals, but I can't say whether that's volume difference, frequency differences or expectation bias. The XX sounds a little more mixed in the background while the Ananda vocals stand out just a hint more. I've tested various tracks, and it's always the same outcome. The Ananda is ever so slightly clearer, slightly more upfront, with higher definition in the vocals. But it's too similar to say with absolute certainty. Just a slight extra bit of brightness and clarity.

Personally, the XX is a steal considering the premium of the Ananda over it. If you could manage to get one. That and I would buy an extension cable (or like I did, just buy a 3.5mm female/female barrel you can use with any 3.5mm cable).

Not elegant cosidering you're using a short cable of the XX, this barrel, and some other aux cable, but hey, we're talking cost saving measures here.

edit: The more and more I compare, I feel more confident in saying the Ananda does sound clearer and less distant. I couldn't deny this no matter how much I'd try and fool myself into thinking they sound the same. They are similar, but the Ananda does improve a bit on clarity, detail, and object definition.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #56 of 124
Hi, from Houston, TX here.

I am seriously in the market for the Ananda's and would like to try them out. I really am thinking about the HiFiMAN X Edition XX from Massdrop (aka Drop) and would like to know how they compare so I can make the right purchasing decision. @Mad Lust Envy, I am looking forward to your review. I am looking for a clean sounding headphone overall with a wide soundstage, bass extensions present, nice and tight. Hopefully, I am looking at the right gear here.

I recently got into HiFi audio with the HD6XX, Schiit Magni 3/Modi 3 Multibit. I am awaiting my order of the THX AAA 789 due in August and think the Ananda or X Edition XX will pair nicely with it.

Yeah, as much as I wanted to think I was hearing things, I have to say that the Ananda is a better headphone. The XX has more 'distance' in details, and fuzzy definition in direct comparison. The Ananda is ever so slightly more clear, with sharper details, and object definition. It's not apples to oranges. It's oranges to slightly sweeter orange.

Now that I'm a LITTLE more confident in hearing the difference in these aspects, I still need more time in terms of soundstage and imaging, though that may prove to be harder. As for the cost difference and whether it's worth it... personally I can't answer that. Why? Because as good the XX sounds (and it really does sound fantastic) and how close it already is to the Ananda, something in the back of my mind will miss the added improvement of the Ananda. Still, it's like a $250-$300 difference, and that's way too rich for my blood. If I already had the XX, I'd stick with it, but if I had to make a choice... I think I'd spend quite some time trying to justify going for the Ananda instead. Not only because of the additional sound improvement, but also the better headband design, and the benefit of the larger cable, which the XX does not have.

I wouldn't want to be put in the position to choose between saving that much money for slightly less SQ, or spending it all for just a smidge better SQ, but better build and cable.

The bass and treble to me are identical. Is the midrange and clarity that differ. Part of me wonders if it's headphone to headphone variation, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #57 of 124
Yeah, as much as I wanted to think I was hearing things, I have to say that the Ananda is a better headphone. The XX has more 'distance' in details, and fuzzy definition in direct comparison. The Ananda is ever so slightly more clear, with sharper details, and object definition. It's not apples to oranges. It's oranges to slightly sweeter orange.

Now that I'm a LITTLE more confident in hearing the difference in these aspects, I still need more time in terms of soundstage and imaging, though that may prove to be harder. As for the cost difference and whether it's worth it... personally I can't answer that. Why? Because as good the XX sounds (and it really does sound fantastic) and how close it already is to the Ananda, something in the back of my mind will miss the added improvement of the Ananda. Still, it's like a $250-$300 difference, and that's way too rich for my blood. If I already had the XX, I'd stick with it, but if I had to make a choice... I think I'd spend quite some time trying to justify going for the Ananda instead. Not only because of the additional sound improvement, but also the better headband design, and the benefit of the larger cable, which the XX does not have.

I wouldn't want to be put in the position to choose between saving that much money for slightly less SQ, or spending it all for just a smidge better SQ, but better build and cable.

The bass and treble to me are identical. Is the midrange and clarity that differ. Part of me wonders if it's headphone to headphone variation, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Thanks for the update!

At this point, I tend to agree to all your points. The differences you are hearing could be due to "burn-in" time, or that the Ananda is just that much clearer in the mids. There will always be those that feel the difference isn't worth the $250-$300 premium due to budget and those that feel that to get a noticeable difference in clarity, better headband, extra longer cable, no wait time for the XX to drop or even have another drop is justified as long as the wallet allows.

For me, the cable may not be an issue as I would probably get a balance cable for it. Now if the Ananda has noticeable difference in sound-stage and imaging, that may sway me towards the Anandas, but of course, if I were to hear how the Anandas sound and it checks off all the boxes for me, that would influence the decision as well.

May 1, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #58 of 124

Thanks for the review. I think I'll be looking for the HE-XX then. I really like that style of headband. Never had an issue with comfort on my HE-500, I actually prefer this style.

May 2, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #59 of 124

Makes me curious how the Edition Xv2 would fair in a three-way dog fight.
Interesting that the differences are so narrow in your opinion, makes me wonder if one could mod the differences out of the XX...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back