Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Mar 22, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #3,691 of 3,813
My turn to do tube rolling 
biggrin.gif

I will test an all-Mullard solution and a Telefunken DF904 with Philips DL92. They are on their way.

Meanwhile, I received a MHDT Stockholm 2 DAC (R2R Non Oversampling and triode tube output). Pure beauty sound with the TU-05.

- chris

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #3,692 of 3,813
  I received my TR-07hp mk2 some weeks ago and i'm verry happy with it. The amp is nicly
build with a DIY touch what i like. As you may know the amp use 2 vfet transistors from Sony
(2SK79), the are discontinued since years and hard to find. Vfet have a triode characteristic,
so a tube like sound is the result.

The bass is detailed, deep and strong - hard to finde a portable amp so competent. The mids
are soft and nicely balanced, some extra details are missing, the focus here is on a enjoyable
side, not a analytic one. The highs are not very extended but fits the character of the amp very
well. Some will say that the amp is missing here some parts of the music. Overall is a natural
sounding amp with the focus of enjoyment and easiness, not neutrality. Soundstage is either
super wide nor narrow, that fits fine. The presentation is not very 3d, leans on the flat side.
What is realy nice that this all comes with a quite speedy and direct prensentation - not muddy
oder sticky like other tube amps. If you know the neslon pass house sound, think of it minus
some details in the highs and limited 3th dimension.

The power output is weak, don't try to use low efficieny and/or high ohm headphones. Works
great with sensitive headphones like Fostex TH-900, here the not so prominent highs fits the
character of the TH-900 perfect. With the Piano Forte X the bass gets some extra power and
the presentation is super smooth. At the moment i used it most of the time with some AK T8ie,
a great pairing too.

The amp needs some time to sound best, about 15-20 minutes. It gets warm after 1 hour.
Runtime is short with about 4 hours, charging time long with about 8 hours. So its not the
best amp for portable use due the limited runtime and warm up time.

It's a amp for people who like to dive into the music and not into analytics. This amp brings
you to the music no away from it.

Update 04/2016

Love is strong for this amp after some weeks, it realy shines with easy to drive headphones or
iem. With the AK T8iE the Bass around 150 hz gets to dominant for me, i eq these iem with a
bump of -3 db around 150 hz. Direct driven from the AK240 i would put the bass down only the
half. A weakness of this amp are complex multi layered arragements, like in a opera where the
whole orchestra is playing, the instruments blend together and loosing contour, that was special
to realise because the amps nature is quite speedy and i wasn't expecting this. I never had this
effect with any amp who is at the same time not on the slow or muddy side. It's for me not a big
no go because you need to throw a lot of musical information at the same time at the amp that
this happens but when it does it's obvious. No problem at all when you listen to jazz, country,
latin or arragments with a dozen instruments. Maybe it's like a supercar performing perfect but
when the limit is reached he failes heavy. But anyway, i often grab this combo at home even if
i could choose great desktop gear/full size headphones, a pleasure to dig deep into the music.

I measured the charging power, it's 0.65 a and drop to near zero after 4 hours, so the battery
should be near full after 4 hours.

Receiving the Ocharaku Flat4-Sakura Plus tomorrow after they get out of the customs i'm very
exicted to discover this new combo
etysmile.gif
, have a good feeling that's also a great pairing.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #3,693 of 3,813
Small review of my Mullard (CV820 and CV785) experience on TU-05, compared to the original tubes  (original from A2P: 1U4 Raytheon from the US Army and 3S4 from General Electrics) which is a very good combo.

I was expecting a romantic personnality, but not at all: bass might be a little deeper but this is not obvious at all, medium is a little bit recessed compared to the original one but also more refined, higher frequencies are very refined, never aggressive, and I would say the combo adds musicality, at the cost of a little bit less definition and space. I like it more than the original combo.

Hope to test DF904 Telefunken and DL92 Philips soon. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,694 of 3,813
Thx for the update and specifics, good to know for us lurkers who are saving up our pennies for one of these.

Update 04/2016

Love is strong for this amp after some weeks, it realy shines with easy to drive headphones or
iem. With the AK T8iE the Bass around 150 hz gets to dominant for me, i eq these iem with a
bump of -3 db around 150 hz. Direct driven from the AK240 i would put the bass down only the
half. A weakness of this amp are complex multi layered arragements, like in a opera where the
whole orchestra is playing, the instruments blend together and loosing contour, that was special
to realise because the amps nature is quite speedy and i wasn't expecting this. I never had this
effect with any amp who is at the same time not on the slow or muddy side. It's for me not a big
no go because you need to throw a lot of musical information at the same time at the amp that
this happens but when it does it's obvious. No problem at all when you listen to jazz, country,
latin or arragments with a dozen instruments. Maybe it's like a supercar performing perfect but
when the limit is reached he failes heavy. But anyway, i often grab this combo at home even if
i could choose great desktop gear/full size headphones, a pleasure to dig deep into the music.

I measured the charging power, it's 0.65 a and drop to near zero after 4 hours, so the battery
should be near full after 4 hours.

Receiving the Ocharaku Flat4-Sakura Plus tomorrow after they get out of the customs i'm very
exicted to discover this new combo :etysmile: , have a good feeling that's also a great pairing.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #3,697 of 3,813
Hello. By chance I have bought a used Tur06. Does any body going to visit London CanJam with the last version* of the amp? Since I want to compare, how it improves the sound before sending my to Japan for an upgrade...

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #3,698 of 3,813
Hello, its been a while off from this thread. just want to share my latest addition to my (old) setup.

the tur06 still in early version (mine is #4) and i love it.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #3,700 of 3,813
Sunny day with the TU-05 and...the 2 dogs :wink:

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #3,702 of 3,813
Folks, I have been using the TU-05 with Telefunken DF904 and Philips DL92 for 6 months now and it is pure beauty, delicacy but also great power, lot of weight when needed or and very deep bass. Really a killer combo. Add a MHDT Stockholm 2 (not portable) to this and this is an end of the game for me. I enjoy every second of it. It is so perfect that I have no idea how I could improve it and what result it would give. I am 52 and have been a HiFi guy all my life (since I was 14), with incredibly expensive systems in my salon when I could afford them and with endless conflicts with my family (which brought me to something smaller and less expensive), but the MHDT + TU-05 is beyond anything I owned, for a fraction of the price.

Here is the whole thing:

- Mac Music Server with iTunes and Pure Music processor
- USB TotalDAC D1
- MHDT Stockholm 2 with WE396A (military) and NOS 2R PCM56K
- AudioQuest BigSur cable
- Wireworld Electra 7 power cable
- TU-05 with Telefunken DF904 and Philips DL92
- EarSonics Velvet with pure silver cable

Pure blessing.

- chris

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #3,704 of 3,813
Hello. Yesterday I have thoroughly listened to my Tur06 and compared it to Chord mojo alone. With my T5P I have noticed, that the mojo alone sounds much clearer on the highs. I think that it might be the tubes. I use Silvania. Can you advice me what pair I can try to get the clearer highs with low impedance headphones and not do much V sound character. I also have a pair of CIFTE tubes. They sounds very natural, but have even more distortion on the highs.

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #3,705 of 3,813
I have tried today my TUR06 with the external cap. :) 22 mf 630V !!! Nearly 50% as big as the whole amp. it was fun. The low end was AWERSOME!!!. Thinking of making an external connection for an big caps for home use. With the possibility of quick switching off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back