Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Feb 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #93 of 3,813
Quote:
no disrespect but you have to be nuts to want to do that on daily basis :-D

tongue_smile.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #94 of 3,813
Quote:
Thanks for sharing these great impressions.   I am enjoying my TU-05B feeded by AK100 as well.   Has been listening to Steven Wilson's "Grace for Drowning" album from HDTracks with my PF-X and I must say the music is sublime.  Will try rolling some tubes when I can find the time to stop listening.    

Congrats evolutionx for your new TU 5

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #96 of 3,813
Quote:
Paul. I have done some due diligence and found a seller in the UK with an excellent reputation, also one in Ontario with similar reputation. Both are from the dredded ebay but both sellers have been used by tube loving friends with no issues.

I will PM you their stores.

Can I get a PM or post for the Ontario guy?

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #97 of 3,813
Quote:
Does anyone know how much the new portable version is going to sell for when released?

Looking at about "50,000 yen or less" according to conversations with Di-ma.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #98 of 3,813
Does anyone know how much the new portable version is going to sell for when released?

Just to add here, Though it may not look it the TU-05 though not as portable as my blackbird admittedly is indeed portable! Yesterday I did something I normally don't do which is walk around the streets listening to music (Vancouver is not a city to have ones ears closed off to traffic in, the drivers resemble chimpanzee's in their behaviour when they get behind the wheel in this city :D )

Anyway. I put the amp in my courier bag, plugged in my rig and Ortofons and off I went! It actually worked really really well and I could see if I lived somewhere safer to walk around with headphones me using this for that purpose so it passed my portable test!

Heck, I am old enough to remember Boom boxes in the seventies being regarded as portable though :D

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #99 of 3,813
Can I get a PM or post for the Ontario guy?

Absolutely!

Here is his ebay store..

http://stores.ebay.ca/TheTubeRoom?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #100 of 3,813
no disrespect but you have to be nuts to want to do that on daily basis :-D

Owned :D

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_fZocBAMI[/VIDEO]

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #102 of 3,813
Thanks rudi0504.    I am bringing it out to a new coffee joint this weekend.  

That case looks so cool, it just oozes class. How are you doing with the amp, what do you think of it?

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #103 of 3,813
Quote:
That case looks so cool, it just oozes class. How are you doing with the amp, what do you think of it?

Hi Ian, tried changing my tubes from the Pan Am and realized they are smaller size tthan the stock tubes for the TU-05B.   Doesn't work and guess I need to get the proper tubes.  Will look at the link you provided.    Can really listen to TU-05B for hours as the sound is really smooth and less fatigue than say -db Solo + RX Mk3.     Pair with Piano Fortes and you can listen for hours without realizing.   They sounded like ear speakers to me.  The sound is much more natural/analog and soundstage is WIDE.......

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #104 of 3,813
Hi Ian, tried changing my tubes from the Pan Am and realized they are smaller size tthan the stock tubes for the TU-05B.   Doesn't work and guess I need to get the proper tubes.  Will look at the link you provided.    Can really listen to TU-05B for hours as the sound is really smooth and less fatigue than say -db Solo + RX Mk3.     Pair with Piano Fortes and you can listen for hours without realizing.   They sounded like ear speakers to me.  The sound is much more natural/analog and soundstage is WIDE.......

Thats exactly what I am finding. I think you will find with the tubes I have suggested a little more smoothness and quite a bit more detail revealed in the mix, a bit more texture as well. I think though the biggest thing I have found having the mullards in the power stage (3S4) is the bottom end.

Its not like it is more, hmm, how can I describe it? Ah! If you have a stand mount speaker system and then add a really good quality subwoofer and tune it so that it is barely on you listen and you think your not hearing any change. Then you switch it off and suddenly the sound seems thin and lacking depth. It is not like base has been added with the Mullards more that they underpin what is there to make a more solid three dimensional image, does that make sense?

Also, I am learning that tubes need a good few hours on them to start singing nicely and they most certainly perform better I find if I switch the system on, let it idle for 5 minutes then let 20 minutes of music play through and then it is nicely warmed up and on song. If you listen right away and keep an eye on the time and once about 25-30 minutes have passed you will notice the change!

I have been experimenting with isolation on that wooden platform I built (and no, I have not got round putting wood stain on it yet!) What I had, that little rubber mat was OK but then I tried some of the silicone dots that are on the side cheeks.. Big mistake! The sound became hard.

So today I went to my local hard wear store and got some 3mm cork sheet cut it to size and glued one strip to the base and also to the sides. Now the amp is perfectly stable in the holder and the sound is better. A touch more organic and detailed.

So though this is a portable unit it really benefits from isolation I find so even it is just on your table top when you listen put a little bit of cork underneath it and see what happens. The leather case I would imagine has the same effect of damping the case.

And for info. There are different codes on tubes between Europe and the USA.

These are what we need to search for this amp.

Voltage amp stage: 1U4/1T4(US designation) DF91, CV1971 (UK/Europe designation)

Drive Stage: 3S4 (US designation) DL92/CV820 (UK/Europe designation)

From my research I have found out that the only difference between the 1U4 and 1T4 is that the 1T4 uses slightly more current and is thus a little less efficient but it is not a great amount from what I have found out!

Hope that helps my fellow TU-05 owners!

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #105 of 3,813
Hi Ian, I can see you are really enjoying yourself perfecting the sound of the TU-05B.   Hearing your impressions on tube rolling really makes me wants to go out and get those tubes Immediately.  According to Kageyuki-san, 3S4 and 1U4 are directly heated tubes and it takes few minutes to warm up.   I will try my local stores to see if I can find those tubes recommended by you.   Enjoy your weekend!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back