Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,696 of 3,814
Quote:
GG and Bmichels, your making me miss my amp! Great pictures though. Bmichels, can you tell us your feelings on the two amps in comparison?

I have to say that I am quite embarased because I feel that the $ 1000  TU-05  somehow provide me better music pleasure than my RedWineAudio $ 3000 Amp. The RWAK is more Bassy but has quite some HISSS that the TU-05 totaly lack :)

And... this is only from the headphone out of my RWAK100.  I can't imagine how the TU-05 could compeat agains my RWA when driven from the "real line out" of a RWAK-120-S

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #1,697 of 3,814
Quote:

Mullards DF91 <-> Tung-sol ken rad dl92 Better than your dream team " Lorenz df96 <-> Tung-sol ken rad dl92" ? !!! 
redface.gif

don't know, have to combine the mullards with other dl92's, at the moment i slightly miss attack, bite, clarity, speed. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,698 of 3,814
Funny thing about the Mullard FD91: I found 2 very different type, one having small holes in the metal plate !!

.   Which one do you use GG ?

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #1,699 of 3,814
GG, Glad your enjoying the Mullards, they do not have the last ounce of bite or sharpness it is true but they are very musical and in fact I feel these are fit, forget and just enjoy the music tubes. I found the best tubes to go along with them were my Marconi's, Phillips or Mil spec Sylvanias, the later being my favourite to go with them

Bmichels. You know, I lusted after that mullard with holes but I have not seen another like it!

I am itching to try the Raytheons that cam just as my amp broke

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,701 of 3,814
A quick question for my friends in Japan. Just checked tracking and it now is updated and say Final Delivery, does this mean it has arrived?

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,702 of 3,814
Quote:

I have to say that I am quite embarased because I feel that the $ 1000  TU-05  somehow provide me better music pleasure than my RedWineAudio $ 3000 Amp. The RWAK is more Bassy but has quite some HISSS that the TU-05 totaly lack :)

And... this is only from the headphone out of my RWAK100.  I can't imagine how the TU-05 could compeat agains my RWA when driven from the "real line out" of a RWAK-120-S

This is very exciting to hear...woo-hoo

Quote:
A quick question for my friends in Japan. Just checked tracking and it now is updated and say Final Delivery, does this mean it has arrived?

Yes, delivered...................
size]

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,703 of 3,814
Yay, thanks so much! And so now the conversion begins!

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,704 of 3,814
Just had a note from Shikada san saying he has the amp and hopes to have the work done by the end of this month which is wonderful. Sadly my AK120 did not get here today so it will be sometime next week as we do not have postal deliveries at the weekend here.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #1,705 of 3,814
need some advice about japanese email politeness and naming conventions:

when writing an email:

shikada kageyuki

- i assume shikada is the forename, kageyuki is the last name

what are the percieved differences when starting with

- dear mr. kageyuki
- dear shikada kageyuki
- dear shikada

what means 'san'

tia

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,706 of 3,814
As it's the weekend I thought that it might be nice to post photo's of a period wireless that used LORENZ valves.

[size=medium]manufacturer[/size] [size=medium] [/size] [size=medium]Lorenz[/size]
[size=medium]type[/size]   [size=medium]Weekend[/size]
    6 - circuits - superhet
ranges   SW, AM, LW
circuits   6 ( 2 tunable, 4 fixed )
IF   472 kHz
HF - rectification   diode
antifading   working on 3 tubes
speaker   perm. - dyn. 95 x 155 mm ( 3.8 x 6.2" )
specials   frame- and rod aerial
kind of current   all mains and battery
battery   combined anode- heating battery
power consumption   22 W at 220 V
fuse   0,16 A
cabinet   plastic
dimensions   300 x 210 x 130 mm ( 12 x 8.4 x 5.2" )
tubes   DF 91, DK 92, DF 91, DAF 91, DL 94
rectifier   selenium
weight   5, 3 kg ( 11.7 lb ) with battery
price when introduced:   DM 230,-- without battery
introduced   1953/54

The weekend reference above should be apparent!  
wink_face.gif

Have a pleasant weekend folks.

Cheers,
Andy.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #1,707 of 3,814
need some advice about japanese email politeness and naming conventions:

when writing an email:

shikada kageyuki

- i assume shikada is the forename, kageyuki is the last name

what are the percieved differences when starting with

- dear mr. kageyuki
- dear shikada kageyuki
- dear shikada

what means 'san'

tia

Shikada is his last name. For Japanese, last name fisrt then followed by first name.

"San" is equivalent to Mr./Mrs./Ms.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:17 AM Post #1,708 of 3,814
listened to some tube combos yesterday focussing on the mullards and my top combos:

mullard df91 combined with

tung-sol mil spec dl92:
- you get all the benefits of the mullards, great bass texture, quality and decay, miss some bite, attack, speed, sparkle, clarity
- would be my top 'sweet and relaxing'  combo dream set, so call it dream set (no.3)

lorenz dl92:
- good compromise, less bass quality, but more clarity, sparkle, .. 

tesla 1L33:
- good sounding in its own way, hides the mullard bass enhancements, but how to say moving all this properties more to the mids, highs

lorenz df96 - tung-sol mil spec dl92:

- won the contest again to be my dream set (no.1), nearly the bass quality of the mullards, but more clarity, detail, great allrounder

telefunken 1u4 - lorenz dl92:

- fights to be my dream set (no.2), and it is, the clarity is amazing, if you directly compare it to dreamset ds no.1, ds no.1 sounds somewhat unprecise, boomy, bassy (but only in direct a/b comparison, differences are so small), great allrounder, very neutral

telefunken 1u4 mil spec - tesla 1L33 (pin 1 removed):

- a special recommendation for this combo, fast, hard attack, ultra precise, speed, speed, agressive, slighty brighter sounding, no allrounder, but listen to some pink floyd or for example stratovarius - vision - black diamond - and you hear what i mean. my dream set (no.4) (for this kind of music) - how to say it's more like a techno party, not the relaxing armchair.

to explain, there is no absolute rating when calling the sets no.1, no.2,.., my decision to select and to listen to one of this sets is also based on the music i want to listen to and my general mood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back