An exploration of Chord DAVE, MScaler, Qutest, and Holo May, HQPlayer
Jan 22, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 1,488
As I see in your signature, you decided that the Kitsune tuned version is the one to go with. Can you explain to me how the upgraded components contribute to the sound quality? Does the silver wiring add any brightness compared to the lower models? Does the CNC shield over the DAC modules attribute to a blacker background? Does the custom made 1000V 1uF caps add smoothness to the midrange?

Can you do this for the components in some or any of your audio hardware?

(Not saying I can't. :grin: )

Jan 22, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 1,488
Can you do this for the components in some or any of your audio hardware?

(Not saying I can't. :grin: )

Here's the thing though, my audio hardware only has one tier. So I don't have to wonder what a Diana Phi with gold plated drivers vs silver plated drivers sound like. Or an amp with mundorf capacitors vs non-mundorf capacitors. Generally companies will only have one product in different price points.

It's not like this DAC is a car where you are purchasing different equipment lists (i.e. limited vs premium). In a car, I know why I'm paying an extra $x,xxx amount for leather vs synthetic leather or heated steering or cooling seats.

Holo is just listing a bunch of parts that they've upgraded and is assuming that either the consumer knows what the parts do or are banking on the fact that people don't know and just want to make sure they purchase the best one they can so they don't have FOMO in the future. Based on the numbers, my guess is FOMO. If you didn't have FOMO, please explain what about the KTE made a difference compared to the other two.

Jan 22, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #19 of 1,488
How was the NOS roll-off on the May compared to the Dave?
Did you notice the difference in softening transients or incisiveness?
NOS transients are a fair bit sharper. Likely due to having 0 ringing artefacts.
The rolloff is noticeable in an ab test, but it's subtle (3dB by 20khz isn't much), and the may retains an excellent presentation of 'air' and so its not an issue at all.

Whether you will prefer nos or mscaler/hqp will likely come down to the track or mood. I don't have a particular favourite and switch between the two. They suit different types of music

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #20 of 1,488
Great analysis! Having a computer that can run every single HQP filter on the highest sample rate is not cheap as well, but there are so many filter options to choose from. So the HQP can sound like the M-scaler or something you’ll like even more. That’s what I dig about it.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 1,488
Great analysis! Having a computer that can run every single HQP filter on the highest sample rate is not cheap as well, but there are so many filter options to choose from. So the HQP can sound like the M-scaler or something you’ll like even more. That’s what I dig about it.
If just doing PCM, you don't actually need all that much. The new M1 Mac mini can quite happily operate as both a roon core and HQP processor capable of all PCM configs.
Its the DSD modulation that is extremely intensive. Some of the configs for that literally cannot be done realtime on any currently existing hardware.

The MScaler does certainly have the convenience factor, though HQP's flexibility is lovely

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #22 of 1,488
If you have any specific questions about, or things you'd want me to test/compare between these products, let me know and i'll do my best to answer.
So my first question are you a holo distributor ? 😂 Better to post analog out recording done in a honest way. Holo may in nos or even in os mode is no where near even qutest leave alone Dave.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 1,488
NOS transients are a fair bit sharper. Likely due to having 0 ringing artefacts.
The rolloff is noticeable in an ab test, but it's subtle (3dB by 20khz isn't much), and the may retains an excellent presentation of 'air' and so its not an issue at all.

Whether you will prefer nos or mscaler/hqp will likely come down to the track or mood. I don't have a particular favourite and switch between the two. They suit different types of music
Ringing in a impulse response test is not there in a continuous wave because music is not a single impulse but made up of a countless impulses. Btw how nos get rid of noise ?😂

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #24 of 1,488
So my first question are you a holo distributor ? 😂 Better to post analog out recording done in a honest way. Holo may in nos or even in os mode is no where near even qutest leave alone Dave.
I have no affiliation with holo or any other audio brand.
Have you tried the may?

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #25 of 1,488
I have no affiliation with holo or any other audio brand.
Have you tried the may?
How nos with cd quality in holo may measures better than even qutest, can you please post ? How nos in holo may deals with distortion and noise specially with cd quality, can you please elaborate ? Did you record analog out of holo may nos of cd quality files and qutest , if yes then would you care to post those files here ? I don't need to listen to holo may as I know nos of cd quality files can never be equal to os done in good modern ds dacs for cd quality files.😂

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #26 of 1,488
How nos with cd quality in holo may measures better than even qutest, can you please post ? How nos in holo may deals with distortion and noise specially with cd quality, can you please elaborate ? Did you record analog out of holo may nos of cd quality files and qutest , if yes then would you care to post those files here ? I don't need to listen to holo may as I know nos of cd quality files can never be equal to os done in good modern ds dacs for cd quality files.😂
You seem pretty confident in your assumptions despite never having heard it, and are either looking to validate your purchase, or have an argument, so I'm not interested in feeding that.

Im more than happy to have a genuine constructive discussion with anyone who wishes to do so. But if I wanted to argue I'd have posted this on the ASR forums

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 1,488
You seem pretty confident in your assumptions despite never having heard it, and are either looking to validate your purchase, or have an argument, so I'm not interested in feeding that.

Im more than happy to have a genuine constructive discussion with anyone who wishes to do so. But if I wanted to argue I'd have posted this on the ASR forums
Please don't avoid the simple question how nos of cd quality in holo may deals with noise and distortion of nos filter ?😉

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #28 of 1,488
Please don't avoid the simple question how nos of cd quality in holo may deals with noise and distortion of nos filter ?😉
We are listening to music, why the hell we need to know that? Have you tried May yet?

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #29 of 1,488
If even with nos distortion with cd quality files in holo may sounds better to you then it's likely be more of a your subjective choice. It's nothing to do with less ringing artifacts and blah blah.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 1,488
We are listening to music, why the hell we need to know that? Have you tried May yet?
Considering so much eloborate post and technical explanation of things here, don't you think it is surprising that op is deliberately avoiding the simple question about nos noise ? Do you think by listening to holo may in actual, those inherent nos problems will magically go away ? Let the op atleast comment about nos ? 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back