An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #91 of 9,499

Quote:
Actually, it was about her not understanding audio gear pricing, some examples of truly expensive gear seemed to put things into perspective.

Thank you Sennheiser, for making the Orpheus.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #92 of 9,499
Not exactly a wife problem, but I could honestly see my girlfriend's lack of care for her ears (and teeth for that matter) ending our relationship.

We go to live shows and she never wears earplugs. I ask her why when she can't hear for hours afterwards and she literally said 'I don't care about my ears.'

She also has no interest in my gear or even having decent quality files.

We've been together for almost 5 years now.

Mar 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #93 of 9,499

Quote:
Not exactly a wife problem, but I could honestly see my girlfriend's lack of care for her ears (and teeth for that matter) ending our relationship.

We go to live shows and she never wears earplugs. I ask her why when she can't hear for hours afterwards and she literally said 'I don't care about my ears.'

She also has no interest in my gear or even having decent quality files.

We've been together for almost 5 years now.

eek.gif
 How dare she?!? Time to end it 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #94 of 9,499
Ah... Seems interesting , I don't know why but most of people say women are hard to change , they are easily affected but not changed...
Have you ever tried not to listen to your high end HiFi for a month or for a week, at least?
It'll be good about making you more reasonable.
If you've got a good financial life doesn't mean we should do expensive hobbies.when buying things gets a hobby(also using expensive professional devices updating from time to time) can show a state of being meaningless (idk if it expresses my idea) . Show you are not by selling your least used gears and helping the charity for example. Getting so attached to a thing is not so good. These where my ideas mostly about you which may be use ful.
This could show that you CAN do and act as a reasonable man.
This reaction of her at the ratio of 90% is a result of sth that looks completely inappropriate to this. After that time do your hobby again but at a balanced level....

Me by myself have got problems with my hobbies....

Also if she does not like your gear you can help poor me by those!:wink:

Mar 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #95 of 9,499
Magick Man, here's another possible reason for her wanting to control you:

Let's face it, hi-fi can be a pretty insular and passive hobby - at least as viewed by outsiders. She could be worried that you are slowly stagnating into... "Pipe and Slippers" man
eek.gif
. Well, you do already have the pipe!

To counter this, it won't help to buy her presents or turn her into an audiophile - despite some apparent recent success.
Maybe she just wants you to "do stuff". Not DIY around the house, or stuff for her, but really visible stuff that gets you noticed in the community. Stuff that, importantly, her friends would understand and admire.

If you go down that track, you may find that you then don't have so much time to play with loads of headphones, and so go sell most of them. Which of course is part of her Master Plan
smile_phones.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #96 of 9,499

Quote:
Let's face it, hi-fi can be a pretty insular and passive hobby - at least as viewed by outsiders. She could be worried that you are slowly stagnating into... "Pipe and Slippers" man
eek.gif
. Well, you do already have the pipe!

Yeah, I remember my sister was telling me: "Why do you just sit and listen to music? Do something while listening: wash the floor, cook or something. Duh!"

Mar 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #97 of 9,499
Yeah, I remember my sister was telling me: "Why do you just sit and listen to music? Do something while listening: wash the floor, cook or something. Duh!"

That's the thing people don't get. I think it's one of the most noteable things about considering yourself an audiophile...Not just considering music as something in the background.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #101 of 9,499
I haven't read the entire thread.  My wife and I just celebrated 10 years.  My wife is frugal.  I'd spend every cent if I could :)  One of the best things we EVER did was work out discretionary funds up front.  Money we each get for the month that is ours to spend however we want.  If I don't spend mine it goes into MY savings account.  She would not be pleased if out of the blue I said I wanted to drop 2k on a new DAC.  Who would?  On the other hand, If I saved the money and bought the DAC....  I do occasionally take out a loan to buy something used off of Audiogon or here, but I present a clear path for paying it off.  I typically have to sell something in order to pay off the "debt".  Objectively, we could all "collect" a bunch of stuff in our "hobby".  This helps thin the heard as well.  Additionally, as many have mentioned, get her into the music.  I got out of headphones and into speakers to make this part work.  It does work, and she enjoys the music as much as I do.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #102 of 9,499
Well, my wife is evil and tricksy. She swapped the connections for all my headphones around, to see if I could hear a difference. I noticed this before I even started listening or it might have been an interesting test.

Magick Man, here's another possible reason for her wanting to control you:

Let's face it, hi-fi can be a pretty insular and passive hobby - at least as viewed by outsiders. She could be worried that you are slowly stagnating into... "Pipe and Slippers" man :eek: . Well, you do already have the pipe!

To counter this, it won't help to buy her presents or turn her into an audiophile - despite some apparent recent success.
Maybe she just wants you to "do stuff". Not DIY around the house, or stuff for her, but really visible stuff that gets you noticed in the community. Stuff that, importantly, her friends would understand and admire.

If you go down that track, you may find that you then don't have so much time to play with loads of headphones, and so go sell most of them. Which of course is part of her Master Plan :smile_phones:

I was "pipe and slippers" man before she met me, have been the entire time we've been together. I see no reason to change now.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #103 of 9,499
This thread is brilliant.
Couple comments made me crack up, and kirosia couldn't miss the action :)

Honestly, for all you bachelors and struggling couples out there, sometimes it's not the headphone spending problem. Women are fickle creatures. They tend to express their intent in a veiled manner. So what they actually mean... Could be something else entirely.

YMMV, I'm sure some of you have beyer wives, built like a tank and more reliable overall. But I personally prefer the lean fast and more unpredictable ones.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #104 of 9,499

Quote:
YMMV, I'm sure some of you have beyer wives, built like a tank and more reliable overall. But I personally prefer the lean fast and more unpredictable ones.

Wives with a certain amount of PRAT, you say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back