An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #61 of 9,499

Quote:
she is sexy :D?
I need to see pics!!

Don't you think that may be a little to far?
ph34r.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #63 of 9,499

Quote:
I suppose I'm at a loss. Anyone here experience this? Got any ideas how to smooth this out?

I just moved all my crap into the "man-cave" or garage. Good thing it never gets that cold, at least for me, in SoCal.

The other thing you might want to do is sit down with her and really let her know how important this hobby is to you, and how her offhand remarks are very hurtful to you. From her point of view, she might be feeling cornered or threatened a bit from the apparent excesses for your hobby. It will probably take a lot of practice and time to have things sorted out because it seems like the nagging has built up into habit for her. Habits are hard to break.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #65 of 9,499
I love how this thread went from "my wife says my hobby is nonsense" to "it must have balanced output and be able to properly drive the HE-6."  
smile.gif
  In fact, this thread has the makings for a good screenplay- a plot many of us can relate to, a problem/conflict ("she doesn't like my hobby"), building up of characters (antagonist/protagonist), a climax (f--- it, I'm getting the HE-6s), and a resolution/happy ending!  Neat.

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #69 of 9,499
What a turn. Send her to more of those 'classes' im sure it'l work..
with that comin...remember to tell her she had just became sexier than ever!
(and for a moment there i though the cause was she thinks you love your phones more than you love her...)

I believe she started to realize how much a hobby like this means to me, the sit-down talk helped a ton.
She probably found the thread right...? :p

I'm quite sure she doesn't even know what Head-Fi is, she just knows I talk with people online about audio gear.
she is sexy :D?

I need to see pics!!

:rolleyes:
I love how this thread went from "my wife says my hobby is nonsense" to "it must have balanced output and be able to properly drive the HE-6."  :smile:   In fact, this thread has the makings for a good screenplay- a plot many of us can relate to, a problem/conflict ("she doesn't like my hobby"), building up of characters (antagonist/protagonist), a climax (f--- it, I'm getting the HE-6s), and a resolution/happy ending!  Neat.

She doesn't think the hobby is nonsense, she just thinks that 1000s of dollars spent on it is extreme. However, I showed her what some audiophiles spend on monitors, amps, and sources and it blew her mind. "$120K for speakers!?! @#%%#$%@%*#@!!"

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #70 of 9,499

Quote:
I believe she started to realize how much a hobby like this means to me, the sit-down talk helped a ton.
I'm quite sure she doesn't even know what Head-Fi is, she just knows I talk with people online about audio gear.
rolleyes.gif

She doesn't think the hobby is nonsense, she just thinks that 1000s of dollars spent on it is extreme. However, I showed her what some audiophiles spend on monitors, amps, and sources and it blew her mind. "$120K for speakers!?! @#%%#$%@%*#@!!"

What $120K FOR SPEAKERS!!!! I wish I could do that. :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #71 of 9,499
Mar 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #73 of 9,499
Very nice thread. Seems like the OP got things sorted out. As the thread illustrates, it seems to be about accepting that audio cost money. I mean - "normal" people easily spend an extra $10-20K on a more expensive car than they need, but find 1K headphones absurd. I think a 10K sofa is absurd... 

I'm lucky - my wife likes music, thinks peculiar audio gear looks cool and even insisted on getting a turntable. I refused (I'm not going down the vinyl road), but when she said she'd pay for it, I helped her get a nice one. She does however complain sometimes when there are too many boxes placed ranomly on top of each other and she is in a really bad mood. In our urban apartment are no extra rooms, so all audio gear is in the living room and bedroom. 

Generally I never tell her what I buy or what it cost. She generally doesn't ask. Sometimes I have sold gear with a slight profit or no loss, and THEN I tell her.. so I guess I'm deluding her a bit but I think she knows...

Quote:
I love how this thread went from "my wife says my hobby is nonsense" to "it must have balanced output and be able to properly drive the HE-6." .........

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #74 of 9,499

Quote:

Ahhh... the 'It Could Be A Lot Worse' defense.  
biggrin.gif
  What if you started an interest in pipe or cigar smoking?

Quote:
Two words: Wilson Audio.
$120k isn't even their top of the line.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm

I don't really consider some of those legit though- since they only made 1 (if that).  I have seen the Goldmund Epilogue in a few photos, so there must be a few of them around.

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #75 of 9,499
Ahhh... the 'It Could Be A Lot Worse' defense.  :D   What if you started an interest in pipe or cigar smoking?

Actually, I do smoke pipes. I have Petersons, a couple choice Dunhills, a few Erik Nordings, a Viprati, a Castello Old Antiquari, and a Savinelli VIP Autograph. :wink:

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.htm

I don't really consider some of those legit though- since they only made 1 (if that).  I have seen the Goldmund Epilogue in a few photos, so there must be a few of them around.

Yeah, it's madness, but the good kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back