An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 21, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #106 of 9,499

Quote:
I haven't read the entire thread.  My wife and I just celebrated 10 years.  My wife is frugal.  I'd spend every cent if I could :)  One of the best things we EVER did was work out discretionary funds up front.  Money we each get for the month that is ours to spend however we want.  If I don't spend mine it goes into MY savings account.  She would not be pleased if out of the blue I said I wanted to drop 2k on a new DAC.  Who would?  On the other hand, If I saved the money and bought the DAC....  I do occasionally take out a loan to buy something used off of Audiogon or here, but I present a clear path for paying it off.  I typically have to sell something in order to pay off the "debt".  Objectively, we could all "collect" a bunch of stuff in our "hobby".  This helps thin the heard as well.  Additionally, as many have mentioned, get her into the music.  I got out of headphones and into speakers to make this part work.  It does work, and she enjoys the music as much as I do.

My wife and I have a similar arrangement. I have a set amount from each paycheck go into a personal savings account, which i can spend as I wish. From time to time, I make some purchases from household funds, but my hobby stuff (audio and photography - both major cash sinks) come out of my savings.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #107 of 9,499
Quote:
I was "pipe and slippers" man before she met me, have been the entire time we've been together. I see no reason to change now.

I'm not sure you fully appreciate what you're up against here. Your wife has probably got a 10-year strategy to "improve" you as a man. With a well though out list of objectives along the way. And with a whole arsenal of tactics that she will ruthlessly deploy to achieve that goal.

If you're a typical bloke, the only "strategy" we've got probably doesn't extend beyond our next headset. 
Resistance is futile. She will nibble away at you until your foundations crumble.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Who else is going to look out for us blokes and stop us from always taking the lazy path?

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #108 of 9,499
She can think that all she wants, but I'm old and set in my ways. :p

BTW, went out today and got a Cary SLI-80 Signature from the local dealer. It's a floor demo and they let me take it home for a week to see how I like it. So I got it home and set it up, and she said, "Yeah, that's what I was talking about, that looks awesome". Apparently big tubes have high WAF. :D

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #109 of 9,499
She can think that all she wants, but I'm old and set in my ways. :p
BTW, went out today and got a Cary SLI-80 Signature from the local dealer. It's a floor demo and they let me take it home for a week to see how I like it. So I got it home and set it up, and she said, "Yeah, that's what I was talking about, that looks awesome". Apparently big tubes have high WAF. :D

Yes! That's what I'm talking about.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #110 of 9,499
This thread is both amusing and disturbing, as I'm going to be married 1 1/2 months from now. 

Mar 24, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #111 of 9,499

Quote:
This thread is both amusing and disturbing, as I'm going to be married 1 1/2 months from now. 

Amusing yes 
wink.gif
, however shouldn't be disturbing as long as you communicate.

I'm enjoying some of the comments from 'short time' married (or obviously unmarried) folks proposing the'she'll just have to adapt' philosophy.  From what I have observed with some of my friends - this only leads to eventual decline of the relationship.  Communication and mutual decisions are everything.

I really like Beerguy0 and jeffreyj900's comments.  My situation is similar.  My only two real "vices" are audio and golf.  My wife and I have discussed and agreed on everything I've purchased so far - and she has zero problems with it.  I have a mutually agree budget - and I live to it.  And even though the money is put aside (my play-money), I always involve her in every purchase.  She knows the audio is my other and only 'mistress' in life - but as long as I involve her, she's totally OK with what I'm doing.

We're celebrating 20 years married in November.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #113 of 9,499

Quote:

My tongue-in-cheek comments are probably true to some extent, but there's no need to be disturbed. Communication is key, as has been mentioned.

I have a similar arrangement as described by Beerguy0 and jeffreyj900. It works fine, and my wife is very tolerant of my hobby - even though she doesn't fully understand it, She has never, ever, asked me to stop or take anything back. She does, however, very occasionally, suggest I get out more
smile_phones.gif
. And right she is too.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #114 of 9,499
She's doing well with it now, but my spending is over for a while... Except for the Bifrost I just ordered, and the Fischer FA-011s I'm getting when Frogbeats gets them in stock next week. But that's it for a while, honest. :wink:

Actually I ordered a Bifrost and a Xonar Essence One, gonna keep the one I like best.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #115 of 9,499
Thread necro!

So, my wife has changed quite a bit, for my birthday I got a set of Fostex TH900s and a Fostex HP-P1 portable amp. Which was great. However, I gave her a car for hers, a new Beetle, so I think she came out on top there.

Not that I get to listen to my new Fostex very much, she's had them at her desk listening to them all evening. :confused: When I get my GES I'm going to setup the SRM-717 and ESP/950 at her desk, that will keep her occupied for a while.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #116 of 9,499
BTW, I did order two more amps. Well, an amp and a DAC/preamp. I put in my order for a custom Woo GES and also bought a like-new Onkyo P-3000R (a rather good deal at $880 shipped).

and no, I haven't mentioned it... *whistles Molly Hatchet's Flirtin' With Disaster*

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #118 of 9,499
Looking at my girlfriend, who was experiencing severe dismay when her "potential" dress and fashion accessories was substituted into audio equipment....

And looking at this thread, I may say... Darn, Is that my future gonna look like??

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #119 of 9,499
[after hearing about my Woo GES order]

"You paid $400 for an extra headphone jack and a better volume knob?"
"Yeah."
"Really?" *raises one eyebrow*
"...."

Looking at my girlfriend, who was experiencing severe dismay when her "potential" dress and fashion accessories was substituted into audio equipment....

And looking at this thread, I may say... Darn, Is that my future gonna look like??

Don't neglect the things she wants, otherwise your life will become a living hell.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #120 of 9,499
My wife doesn't mind the stuff I buy that actually gets used.  She knows I have an ipod, headphones and other bits & pieces in between - and I could pretty much swap parts in and out without her even raising an eyebrow - she simply doesn't care.  HOWEVER, the problem is that the boxes, drawers and piles of gear NOT currently being used tend to grow - and that bugs the *heck* out of her...

But, but, I can't part with ANY of it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back