An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #76 of 9,499

Quote:
Actually, I do smoke pipes. I have Petersons, a couple choice Dunhills, a few Erik Nordings, a Viprati, a Castello Old Antiquari, and a Savinelli VIP Autograph.
wink.gif

And THAT doesn't bother her?  
eek.gif
  Interesting.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #78 of 9,499
Mar 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #81 of 9,499

Quote:

And THAT doesn't bother her?  
eek.gif
  Interesting.  
biggrin.gif

C'mon, sexy girls love cigars what are you talking about...  
beerchug.gif

----
as for magik man's question anyone care for an answer? i had a wa22 max on loan atm and that question about other similar balanced contenders of the same range interests me too.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #82 of 9,499
So it should be something like this: "No honey, I had those lcd-3's YEARS ago!"

Genius! :D

BTW, the cans arrived and one of the first things I did after inspecting and getting them set up was sit her down and put them on her head with some Alison Krauss. She said, "holy s***" and then sat there with her eyes wide and looking shocked. :cool: She listened for about 15 minutes talking about what she was hearing and said, "damn baby, these kick serious ass".

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #83 of 9,499

Quote:
She listened for about 15 minutes talking about what she was hearing and said, "damn baby, these kick serious ass".

So maybe the whole time she simply just wasn't into the sound sig of the Beyers?  
rolleyes.gif
  This sounds like it's more about finding the right cans- so just keep searching!

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #84 of 9,499
So maybe the whole time she simply just wasn't into the sound sig of the Beyers?  :rolleyes:   This sounds like it's more about finding the right cans- so just keep searching!

I don't think she's heard any Beyers. She's listened to most of my headphones though, and she's partial to the HD598s. My modded Fostex T50s she likes a lot too, and they sound quite a bit like LCD-2s. She doesn't really care for the HD800s I borrowed, however.

Right now I think I'll slow down on the purchasing and enjoy what I've bought lately, I've collected a pretty decent selection now. I'll look into getting a nice tube amp sometime next few months.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #88 of 9,499
Just responding to the OP (have not read thru thread).

Depending on how long you've been married, the disdain she seems to have towards your toys might have been festering during the entirety of your relationship and she's at a point now where she's unable to tolerate it, for whatever reason.  And my guess is the particular "toy" is irrevelant.  It's what that "toy" represents to both you and her and your relationship.  

Try spending more quality time with her.  But don't make it so blatantly obvious.  Otherwise, she'll resent the fact that you're only trying to spend time with her so you can get something for yourself in the end. 

For the next several months put the emphasis back to her, as I'm sure you did when you initially got together.  Sometimes, all we need is to feel genuinely appreciated.

Or maybe she's right and you do have too much worthless crap. 
wink_face.gif

Good luck.

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #89 of 9,499

Quote:

I just moved all my crap into the "man-cave" or garage. Good thing it never gets that cold, at least for me, in SoCal.

The other thing you might want to do is sit down with her and really let her know how important this hobby is to you, and how her offhand remarks are very hurtful to you. From her point of view, she might be feeling cornered or threatened a bit from the apparent excesses for your hobby. It will probably take a lot of practice and time to have things sorted out because it seems like the nagging has built up into habit for her. Habits are hard to break.

Oh, you seem have gone through this already. 
wink_face.gif
  Your pain is felt.

I think that she feels irritated that you are such a weirdo. But after some decades she will get used to it. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #90 of 9,499
Just responding to the OP (have not read thru thread).

Depending on how long you've been married, the disdain she seems to have towards your toys might have been festering during the entirety of your relationship and she's at a point now where she's unable to tolerate it, for whatever reason.  And my guess is the particular "toy" is irrevelant.  It's what that "toy" represents to both you and her and your relationship.  

Try spending more quality time with her.  But don't make it so blatantly obvious.  Otherwise, she'll resent the fact that you're only trying to spend time with her so you can get something for yourself in the end. 

For the next several months put the emphasis back to her, as I'm sure you did when you initially got together.  Sometimes, all we need is to feel genuinely appreciated.

Or maybe she's right and you do have too much worthless crap.  :wink_face:

Good luck.

Actually, it was about her not understanding audio gear pricing, some examples of truly expensive gear seemed to put things into perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back