An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Apr 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #6,661 of 9,499
  I've always thought of the 250LM as a much better can than the GTO, personally, even in terms of beauty, and they can be had for under half the price of a GTO. They have the sort of clean looks that make attractiveness seem effortless, and they were fantastic race cars for the day.

No question. The LM was from the ground up designed as a racer. The GTO was a modified chassis and suspension from   production vehicles. Still 14 meg for an LM, utter madness.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #6,662 of 9,499
Agreed, 100%, the LM is my favorite classic Ferrari (along with the TdF). Speaking of which, the TdF whips the GTO in feel, grip, stability, you name it. All around, it's a more balanced car at speed, though not nearly as powerful. There's a 10" difference in wheelbase length between them, which is not a small amount. Of all the classic Italians I've driven, the TdF seems the most surefooted.

-------------------

I think classic Ferraris are priced about right, personally. Because they're very limited in quantity and there will never be enough to go around, even among the super rich. I also see it this way, would I rather have a typical Jackson Pollock painting (splatters on canvas) or a 250 LM? :D

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #6,663 of 9,499
Agreed, 100%, the LM is my favorite classic Ferrari (along with the TdF). Speaking of which, the TdF whips the GTO in feel, grip, stability, you name it. All around, it's a more balanced car at speed, though not nearly as powerful. There's a 10" difference in wheelbase length between them, which is not a small amount. Of all the classic Italians I've driven, the TdF seems the most surefooted.

I think classic Ferraris are priced about right, personally. Because they're very limited in quantity and there will never be enough to go around, even among the super rich. I also see it this way, would I rather have a typical Jackson Pollock painting (splatters on canvas) or a 250 LM?
biggrin.gif

Aha didn't know you owned a laFrancais. That would explain the lukewarm GTO reception. What the track width difference?
They do have ground up LM kits available, ever considered one of them?

Depends which appreciates faster. No one collects Pollock because they like the aesthetics. Now if you were to compare that same Ferrari to it's equivalent in the art world Say a Rembrant, Monet or heaven forbid Pissaro's works.

If you'd collected Pissaro's work 10  years ago (let alone in the 70's) you'd not even be entertaining relica GTO marks I or II :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #6,664 of 9,499
There's not much width difference. They're similar that way. 60s Ferraris outpaced fine art, in most respects, and as long as there are more billionaires than cars to go around, they'll keep soaring. I was too late for the cream of the crop; Cali SWB & LWB, GTO, LM (maybe), Testa Rossa, but the mid and lower tiers are just now cranking up.

----------

Drove the 2015 Cayman GTS today, and I'm wondering what the NA 911s are for, now. It's clearly the better car. I'll be so bold as to say it's the best sports coupe under $100k. As a driving experience I'm struggling to think of a car that's better, at twice the price.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #6,665 of 9,499
There's not much width difference. They're similar that way. 60s Ferraris outpaced fine art, in most respects, and as long as there are more billionaires than cars to go around, they'll keep soaring. I was too late for the cream of the crop; Cali SWB & LWB, GTO, LM (maybe), Testa Rossa, but the mid and lower tiers are just now cranking up.

Drove the 2015 Cayman GTS today, and I'm wondering what the NA 911s are for, now. It's clearly the better car. I'll be so bold as to say it's the best sports coupe under $100k. As a driving experience I'm struggling to think of a car that's better, at twice the price.

Much as I hate to quote em. C&D regards the alligator as "911 performance for 10K less". The 911 is for people who want the legend status.

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #6,666 of 9,499
The 911 says you made it, the Cayman says you're almost there but not quite. The 911 also has an "icon" premium. Silly in my book but that's how it works I guess. I personally never bought a car because of legend or something, just how they drive.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #6,668 of 9,499
Umm, no. The 4C is mostly a toy, in comparison.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #6,669 of 9,499
The 911 says you made it, the Cayman says you're almost there but not quite. The 911 also has an "icon" premium. Silly in my book but that's how it works I guess. I personally never bought a car because of legend or something, just how they drive.

Yeah, I get the prestige angle, and the interior is more fancy, but one would have to be a very poor driver to not notice that the Cayman GTS is the better car, if you ignore the aesthetics. I'm curious to see Porsche's new sub-halo $500k car, the 918 w/o electric motors with a TT V8, making ~750bhp, that they're debuting soon. That's the one I really want.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #6,670 of 9,499
Yeah, I get the prestige angle, and the interior is more fancy, but one would have to be a very poor driver to not notice that the Cayman GTS is the better car, if you ignore the aesthetics. I'm curious to see Porsche's new sub-halo $500k car, the 918 w/o electric motors with a TT V8, making ~750bhp, that they're debuting soon. That's the one I really want.

I'd hold out and see if they offer an RS version of the 918 for the street.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #6,671 of 9,499
One thing that's funny, if they're all sold (918), why do they keep trying badgering me to buy one?

Apr 28, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #6,673 of 9,499
Geez, as if I'm not busy enough, I received a letter stating I have to appear for jury duty.

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #6,674 of 9,499
Geez, as if I'm not busy enough, I received a letter stating I have to appear for jury duty.

Luck of the draw, I guess. When is it?

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #6,675 of 9,499

I got out of it the last time. Purely by chance, my uncle was there the same day, and when the ADA asked if any of us knew each other, we raised our hands (seated next to each other, too) and after we identified the relationship, I got to go home and he had to stay.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back