An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
May 1, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #6,691 of 9,499
That's probably a common case of Ferrari taking more orders than they intend to fulfill, since they assume that some people will cancel theirs due to their own "unforseen circumstances". The company is willing to make a few lower-priority buyers unhappy just to stick to the claim that their halo car has sold out. Unfortunately, since you keep to yourself and aren't a celebrity or eccentric, you would've probably been on the chopping block if you hadn't already paid in full.

May 1, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #6,692 of 9,499
I talked with an old Ferrari guy and he said they did that with the 599 GTO, the Enzo, the F50, and the 288 GTO (not the F40, they made as many of those as they could, it's the least limited of the "limited series" cars). So, yeah, that just means I bumped one of the "deserving" customers out of their spot. Oops. :xf_eek:

May 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #6,693 of 9,499
I talked with an old Ferrari guy and he said they did that with the 599 GTO, the Enzo, the F50, and the 288 GTO (not the F40, they made as many of those as they could, it's the least limited of the "limited series" cars). So, yeah, that just means I bumped one of the "deserving" customers out of their spot. Oops.
redface.gif

Watch out for your nearest B-rate celebrity coming after you.
etysmile.gif

May 1, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #6,695 of 9,499
As long as it isn't T-Pain or Dwayne Johnson, especially not the latter, he's kind of scary. If you think I'm reclusive now, our new facility is going to be 20 miles from any incorporated town with a 1 mile private drive (flat and level), directly in the middle of 2200 acres.

May 1, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #6,696 of 9,499
As long as it isn't T-Pain or Dwayne Johnson, especially not the latter, he's kind of scary. If you think I'm reclusive now, our new facility is going to be 20 miles from any incorporated town with a 1 mile private drive (flat and level), directly in the middle of 2200 acres.

Yeah those old Atlas missile silos are going cheap thesedays aren't they
wink_face.gif

May 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #6,697 of 9,499
Nope, it's a large tract of land that adjoins the Smoky Mtns nat'l park. It's too far from civilization to be a popular residential area, and there are too many restrictions for industrial use, so it's pretty cheap. They had it chopped up into 50 acre parcels but haven't been able to sell them, so I've made an offer for the whole thing. It even has a lake, 2 log homes, an old church, and 3 huge bald eagle nests.

May 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #6,698 of 9,499
Nope, it's a large tract of land that adjoins the Smoky Mtns nat'l park. It's too far from civilization to be a popular residential area, and there are too many restrictions for industrial use, so it's pretty cheap. They had it chopped up into 50 acre parcels but haven't been able to sell them, so I've made an offer for the whole thing. It even has a lake, 2 log homes, an old church, and 3 huge bald eagle nests.

May 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #6,699 of 9,499

Sooooooo......... Private race track? 

May 3, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #6,701 of 9,499
  Log homes sounds interesting.

Wouldn't mind having a cottage somewhere with a 3 bed log home, a fireplace and next to a lake.

Same here.
I would still want Internet connectivity and TV, but I've watched the whole area I grew up in be cleared and built upon, and I miss the days of trees and grassy fields, and not having to hear teenagers' fart cannon car mufflers all the time...be nice to be a little more removed from the great unwashed masses. 
smile.gif

May 3, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #6,702 of 9,499
I could live without TV and just need a rudimentary Net connection for basic Internet stuff. Plenty of nice cottages in European countryside going cheap. I bought one for 80k Euro in Naples, Italy but haven't had the chance to have a proper look and renovate it. It's a picturesque village but no lake or a fireplace and no logs either.

May 3, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #6,703 of 9,499
I lived in a small house on an island in Michigan for some time that was originally part of a church camp in the 1930s, but was one of only three remaining buildings on the island when we moved there. That little place was heaven for a long time, but then the person who owned most of the island died and his son sold it to a developer, and within a few years our little house was surrounded by suburban Detroit McMansions and everything had been clear cut. All three of the little cabin-like houses in a row stood out among the new custom homes, partially because we were the only three people with trees left on our lots. It was heartbreaking.

May 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #6,704 of 9,499
The cabins aren't nearly that size, they're each only 1 BR, and neither even has electricity:

The area was owned by the Park but not part of it, like a buffer zone. To raise money they decided to sell it, and at first it was ~12,000 acres, what's left is the most secluded "chunk". We spent some time there checking it out, riding ATVs with the realtor, and it's immense. Like freaking huge. Also there's a section of stream going into the lake, and living there is a family of river otters! The moron asked if we'd hunt them, is he nuts? I think they're even protected now. They can happily live there as long as they want, we won't bother them.

OTTERS!

Northeast view of the nat'l park.

They asked "what are you planning to do with it", and I told them. Yeah, he looked at me like I was nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back