An alternative to the M50 if one has a somewhat higher budget?
Aug 28, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 35

Quote:
Chances are that I will purchase an M50. The reason I am debating it is that I read somewhere on this site(someone posted a link a headphone shootout) that the M50 is not good for electronica. I listed to lots of dance music and electronica so I was debating if either a 580 or DT770 may be better for me.

LOL...
So to this person electronica wasn't liked with the M50. This means close to nothing. You'll see this all the time... this or that HP is or is not good for classical, jazz, hip-hop, trance, etc. blah, blah.
If you like the signature of a particular can, chances are it'll be just fine for whatever you listen to. For all the 'this can for that music' statements, you'll find at least as many state that a good can is good for all styles.

When I chose to listen to my M50's, everything from them sounds good. If I want a leaner sound, I'll switch cans. For me and many others it's not music dependent. Either they'll work for you, or they won't. At least two sides to everything. Take all statements (including mine) on fora like these with a big fat grain of salt.

shane

Aug 28, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #17 of 35

Quote:
LOL...
So to this person electronica wasn't liked with the M50. This means close to nothing. You'll see this all the time... this or that HP is or is not good for classical, jazz, hip-hop, trance, etc. blah, blah.
If you like the signature of a particular can, chances are it'll be just fine for whatever you listen to. For all the 'this can for that music' statements, you'll find at least as many state that a good can is good for all styles.

When I chose to listen to my M50's, everything from them sounds good. If I want a leaner sound, I'll switch cans. For me and many others it's not music dependent. Either they'll work for you, or they won't. At least two sides to everything. Take all statements (including mine) on fora like these with a big fat grain of salt.

shane

Thanks for the input. The M50's are much cheaper than the Beyerdynamics. The Ultrasone 580 is pretty affordable, so thats still an option for me. I wish there was a way to try out all these headphones before I purchase them. The M50's seem to be liked by everyone so I can't go wrong there. On Monday I will go to B&H so I have until then to ponder this.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The M50's are much cheaper than the Beyerdynamics. The Ultrasone 580 is pretty affordable, so thats still an option for me. I wish there was a way to try out all these headphones before I purchase them. The M50's seem to be liked by everyone so I can't go wrong there. On Monday I will go to B&H so I have until then to ponder this.

Well B&H is a very good outfit. Have gotten many things from them. Never an issue.
I can't comment on the Ultrasone, but good luck whichever you choose. What usually happens... even if the cans are a bit odd at first, your brain accommodates and you wind up liking them. You get used to the sound and eventually think they are 'neutral' or normal. That is unless you are immediately repulsed by the sound... which I doubt you will be in either case.

Happy hunting

shane

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #19 of 35
I have both the M50's and 580's.  Love em both!  I thought maybe the 580 would cause me to want to sell the M50 but instead it made me want to keep both.  Sigh.....

The 580 is a little less full but not thin at all.  I hate thin phones.  It is a bit more revealing and fixes any issues w/ the slight upper mid dip if that is an issue for you.  FYI, I was never one to call the mids recessed on the M50.  I need more of a suck out or roll off to go that far.  If you like hearing the minute details and texture in drums and bass guitar the 580's are great.  The M50s have a better sense of sub bass impact or 'feel'.  The M50s are quite tuneable in the lower reaches as well.  Both are satisfactorily balanced IMO especially w/ tuning.    

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 35
I think the Shure SRH750DJ does everything the M50 does, but better. They have amazing deep and detailled bass without the slighty recessed mids of the M50. I do think the M50's build quality is on a higher level though. The SRH750DJ's feel kinda cheap, but you can't complain about that if you look at the sound you get for the price.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
Chances are that I will purchase an M50. The reason I am debating it is that I read somewhere on this site(someone posted a link a headphone shootout) that the M50 is not good for electronica. I listed to lots of dance music and electronica so I was debating if either a 580 or DT770 may be better for me.

I would ask you to seriously consider SHR750DJ. It sounds close in alot of aspect to the m50 except stronger bass i think, good for electronica music. These are meant for DJs.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:

I would caution you against the 770's as a former owner. The mids are very sucked out which gets really tiresome after a while. The highs can be shrill and sibilant. And the bass, while plentiful, is boomy and one-note. If you want bassy cans, the M50s or a pair of Denons will do you better.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
I would caution you against the 770's as a former owner. The mids are very sucked out which gets really tiresome after a while. The highs can be shrill and sibilant. And the bass, while plentiful, is boomy and one-note. If you want bassy cans, the M50s or a pair of Denons will do you better.

I don't understand why so many people think that the m50 have plentiful of bass? I personally think the sub-bass extension it have give m50 that deep and "puncy" feeling that your get from expensive stereo  speakers. These bass aren't "boomy" but instead touch and go like punching it instead of "floating expansion". Hence the bass only come out when needed to and do not when its not, hence m50's bass sounds very very natural.

PS: if you think m50 bas is "overwhelming" try going into a THX certified CInema hall, you will change your perception.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 35
Aug 29, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
i'm not entirely sure there's a better headphone than the M50 at $200+.

did you read Mike's closed can shoot-out at Headfonia?
10 headphones.  the M50 won.

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/10/

Well this article is partly the reason why i bought the m50. But you cant 100% trust this review too. (Who can trust someone who praise Beats?? HAHAHA)

Its best if you can try these headphones, like try it in guitar shop(if they have and can let you try) or headphone shops that let you try. Trust your own ears will be what I suggest. I was actually comtemplating to buy m50/750dj/840. In the end m50 sounds best with most songs in my playlist compared to the other 2, tahts why i got the m50.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #26 of 35

Quote:
PS: if you think m50 bas is "overwhelming" try going into a THX certified CInema hall, you will change your perception.

+1,  I have owned both...ok well owned the M50 and recently went to the London Waterloo Imax (watched Inception)...that Cinema had bass...my seat literally hopped up and down with the bass - try that ATH-M50.

Seriously though, i'v just sold my m50, and am just a little missing it already sob. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #28 of 35

Quote:
THX certification is more concerned w/ rendering a car explosion in a movie,  not a Cello in a concert hall.

Well assuming that you are playing stereo song in cinema hall. Usually before a movie starts, cinema halls tends to play  some pop songs, you can use those to gauge. If you are talking about classical music, I worked in some world-class concert halls before, used their speakers before and listen to live performances alot of times before. IMHO got to say m50 is one of the few headphones which presented double bass and cello sound in the most natural way.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #29 of 35

Quote:
I have both the M50's and 580's.  Love em both!  I thought maybe the 580 would cause me to want to sell the M50 but instead it made me want to keep both.  Sigh.....

The 580 is a little less full but not thin at all.  I hate thin phones.  It is a bit more revealing and fixes any issues w/ the slight upper mid dip if that is an issue for you.  FYI, I was never one to call the mids recessed on the M50.  I need more of a suck out or roll off to go that far.  If you like hearing the minute details and texture in drums and bass guitar the 580's are great.  The M50s have a better sense of sub bass impact or 'feel'.  The M50s are quite tuneable in the lower reaches as well.  Both are satisfactorily balanced IMO especially w/ tuning.    

Thanks for this post, it was very informative. I am always anxious to hear from people who own both.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
I would ask you to seriously consider SHR750DJ. It sounds close in alot of aspect to the m50 except stronger bass i think, good for electronica music. These are meant for DJs.

I am certainly going to consider them. I have another question. Between the 750dj's, the m50 and the Ultrasone 580, which one is most comfortable and has the most cushioned pads? I am trying to really narrow this down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back