Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #362 of 587
I hope you can review the dCS Bartok with MSB discrete someday...
It’s my understanding that there is an auditable improvement from the Holo May L2 to the May KTE. It might have been interesting to have compared the KTE version of the Holo May against the MSB, the gap might have been closer.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #363 of 587
It’s my understanding that there is an auditable improvement from the Holo May L2 to the May KTE. It might have been interesting to have compared the KTE version of the Holo May against the MSB, the gap might have been closer.
Yes that’s possible. I hear from @GoldenOne there’s a small difference.

There’s probably a more audible improvement with HQPlayer. I joined the HQPlayer party late.

Damn, what a difference it makes!

The May is the DAC to beat with the HQPlayer.

I was blown away by the new Rossini Apex DAC but that’s obviously at a different pricing stratosphere.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #364 of 587
I have read so many accolades about HQPlayer. My computer is permanently exiled from my listening room and will never be invited back in. I’m not Roon fan, and with out a computer, the only hope of experiencIng HQplayer through my Holo May would be if a streamer/manufacturers somehow incorporated it a new model or an update.

Apr 12, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #365 of 587
I have read so many accolades about HQPlayer. My computer is permanently exiled from my listening room and will never be invited back in. I’m not Roon fan, and with out a computer, the only hope of experiencIng HQplayer through my Holo May would be if a streamer/manufacturers somehow incorporated it a new model or an update.

how about the current streamer offerings which can do hqplayer naa (Sotm, sonore)? alternatively, a rpi4 or a small form factor pc like a fitlet 2 or 3 would do fine too.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #366 of 587
how about the current streamer offerings which can do hqplayer naa (Sotm, sonore)? alternatively, a rpi4 or a small form factor pc like a fitlet 2 or 3 would do fine too.
Sotm and Sonore streamers like Rendus can do HQPlayer? I will have to investigate that. Then the functions will be selectable/adjustable via your UPnP browsers like iPad? Would you still have to use Roon?

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #367 of 587
Sotm and Sonore streamers like Rendus can do HQPlayer? I will have to investigate that. Then the functions will be selectable/adjustable via your UPnP browsers like iPad? Would you still have to use Roon?

yes they both can. I'm using Sotm streamers and they can function as hqp naa. just need to access the streamer UI via a Web browser to enable the naa.

you do not need to use Roon, but the alternative is to use the hqplayer audio software, which I found a bit clunky and troublesome. I'm not aware of any other alternatives to stream hqplayer upsampled music.

I found using roon the most convenient way to browse and stream music whilst still using hqplayer.

I've used hqplayer for a long time, but ultimately, I have gone back to not using hqplayer as I find I prefer listening to the plain vanilla versions available on qobuz etc etc

May 22, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #368 of 587
Been comparing these sub $5K DACs using the AB-1266 Phi TC. Have more detailed notes but quick take-aways:
  • The Pro iDSD Signature is a decent DAC for vocal-centric music (thicker, warmer and natural-sounding male and female vocals). But has limitations in the bass department, soundstage width and even resolution.
  • The Matrix Element X is a great Rock and Roll DAC (extension on both ends and bass tightness and impact are class-leading). It's also a slightly colder and more analytical presentation compared to the Pro iDSD Sig. Its technical performance is a marvel for the price.
  • The Holo May is a great everything DAC (just an amazing amazing DAC, regardless of price). The tonal color and vividness of images is something else.
Will get into more detail in subsequent write-ups / videos.

IMG-3412.jpg

IMG-3423.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3415.jpg
    IMG-3415.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #369 of 587
May 30, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #370 of 587
@Sajid Amit I just saw your review on the ZMF Verite Closed and once again we see things almost the same. The only difference between our perspectives is that I believe the VC sounds better with tubes than solid state.

In your video you mentioned that you would be getting a ZMF Atrium soon. I am looking forward to your impressions. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and they are now my favorite DD headphones, eclipsing my Utopia. The Utopia still has superior resolution, but the Atrium has a much more natural and balanced tonality for my preferences. It has superior treble to the VC and it sounds better on the Ferrum Orr than any of my other headphones which sound better on my tube amp. What's interesting is that the Atrium's exhibit a tube like sound even with a solid state amp. That gives it a softness and rounded off edges typically known when pairing headphones with a tube amp. I do enjoy great resolution, but I much prefer great tonal balance. So, we may diverege in our impressions. But, the Atrium is right up their with my favorite headphones. I thought I might like them more than Susvara, but I don't after A/B testing them on both Solid State and Tube amp sources.

May 30, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #371 of 587
@Sajid Amit I just saw your review on the ZMF Verite Closed and once again we see things almost the same. The only difference between our perspectives is that I believe the VC sounds better with tubes than solid state.

In your video you mentioned that you would be getting a ZMF Atrium soon. I am looking forward to your impressions. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and they are now my favorite DD headphones, eclipsing my Utopia. The Utopia still has superior resolution, but the Atrium has a much more natural and balanced tonality for my preferences. It has superior treble to the VC and it sounds better on the Ferrum Orr than any of my other headphones which sound better on my tube amp. What's interesting is that the Atrium's exhibit a tube like sound even with a solid state amp. That gives it a softness and rounded off edges typically known when pairing headphones with a tube amp. I do enjoy great resolution, but I much prefer great tonal balance. So, we may diverege in our impressions. But, the Atrium is right up their with my favorite headphones. I thought I might like them more than Susvara, but I don't after A/B testing them on both Solid State and Tube amp sources.
Good to hear. I am awaiting my Atrium. Hope Zack sends it out soon.

I have a Feliks Euforia AE in my rig now and I love it with the VC. I can't decide if I like the VC off the AE or off solid state, lol, but truth be told, I haven't had the chance to listen to the VC off the AE too much.

I look forward to doing a general "system update" video soon.

My search "slam" has also led to the acquisition of the humble HE6SE.

I EQ this headphone a bit, and damn, I am impressed. Very punchy while having a sweet midrange. Not the final word on technical performance, but I can live with it happily.

I have tried the original and I do think the original is a tad bit more technical.

May 30, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #372 of 587
Good to hear. I am awaiting my Atrium. Hope Zack sends it out soon.

I have a Feliks Euforia AE in my rig now and I love it with the VC. I can't decide if I like the VC off the AE or off solid state, lol, but truth be told, I haven't had the chance to listen to the VC off the AE too much.

I look forward to doing a general "system update" video soon.

My search "slam" has also led to the acquisition of the humble HE6SE.

I EQ this headphone a bit, and damn, I am impressed. Very punchy while having a sweet midrange. Not the final word on technical performance, but I can live with it happily.

I have tried the original and I do think the original is a tad bit more technical.
Given the hype surrounding the HE6 4 screw, I bought one. It's only so-so. Very disappointing. Build quality is terrible. Sound is decent and its slam is okay. But, it's nothing compared to 1266TC or even ZMF VC or Utopia. Almost any TOTL beats it. Not sure if I am going to keep it as a collector's item like my HD600 and 650 or put it up for sale.

May 30, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #373 of 587
Given the hype surrounding the HE6 4 screw, I bought one. It's only so-so. Very disappointing. Build quality is terrible. Sound is decent and its slam is okay. But, it's nothing compared to 1266TC or even ZMF VC or Utopia. Almost any TOTL beats it. Not sure if I am going to keep it as a collector's item like my HD600 and 650 or put it up for sale.
Sorry to hear that.

I have heard the 6 screw and it had good slam.

The HE6SE off the iCAN Pro with bass boost is a ridiculous treat once fed through the Holo May.

I still love my HD 650 / 6XX and actually listen to it on days I want to focus on work more than critical listening. The 6XX off the Euforia is a treat.

May 30, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #374 of 587

Listening to the VC off the Euforia now and it is indeed a better experience than on solid states.

Probbably better in every way.

I hadn't given this pairing much time, saving it for later, but it is indeed fantastic.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #375 of 587
Listening to the VC off the Euforia now and it is indeed a better experience than on solid states.

Probbably better in every way.

I hadn't given this pairing much time, saving it for later, but it is indeed fantastic.
Have you tried your Utopia's off of the Euforia? There is an impedance mismatch, but for some reason when I pair the Utopias with my Bottlehead Crack OTL tube amp, it sounds good. Much deeper bass. Definitely far off reference, but it is an interesting sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back