Amplify's Headphone Ranking & Discussion (Ranking in First Post)
May 30, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #376 of 587
Have you tried your Utopia's off of the Euforia? There is an impedance mismatch, but for some reason when I pair the Utopias with my Bottlehead Crack OTL tube amp, it sounds good. Much deeper bass. Definitely far off reference, but it is an interesting sound.

Haven't tried the Utopia off the AE too much either (maybe a quick listen right after I got it).

I can see the appeal of a bass-boosted Utopia off higher impedance sources.

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #378 of 587
Is there some hidden political message that I am not seeing? Confused by this post.

Jun 1, 2022 at 1:45 AM Post #380 of 587
The original author of Hifiman called Winny in the internet. It is said that his son likes Winnie the Pooh. He started to make electrostatic headphones very early. His early masterpiece was a replica of Orpheus——Jade. But he cannot produce Jade in bunch, I read an interview, He said that Jade with the best sound has slight electric leakage, like a needle, while Jade with very safe sound is not pleasant to hear. His partner, Dr. Bian fan, accidentally discovered that he had made a planar headphone, which was actually a small toy he had made for himself. Dr. Bian Fang thought that since electrostatic headphones could not be put on the market, it would be better to make planar one. Only in this way did the famous he6 come into being. In other words, the development of he6 was an accident.

Although the success of he6 has gained a great reputation, it has not sold a lot because He6 is difficult to drive and heavy to wear. After the market test of He560, they decided to develop their flagship. I believe they want to make their Orpheus through planar headphone beacuse the Electrostatic technology is still immature.

I remember Hifiman He1000v1 was announced as the flagship when it was released. However, it is reported that it has made obvious mistakes in tuning, I haven't actually heard of V1 so I have no idea what mistakes. So hifiman he1000v2 is likely to be a product of public relations crisis. It solves the problem of he1000v1, but deviates from the original path, thus its price collapse seems reasonable. Then hifiman launched the he1000se, which became an headphone that is easy to drive. I think this declared the complete failure of this series because this is not the positioning of the flagship. Although this series failed, it did not stop developing, all costs of Hek series became sunk costs, a friend told me he found arya sounds like he1000v1, if it is true, that means Hifman reborn he1000v1 through Arya.

After the success of He6 and the failure of HE1000, they finally produced a very strong product. I would like to call it a real planar flagship-Susvara. On the other hand, Winny did not give up electrostatic headphone, and finally made Shangri La, but it was extremely expensive.

As for R10D/P? It was completely copied from Sony.

What I wrote is not from speculation. The evidence is hidden in hifiman's product tree.000647baa4tow4ww49r9zc.jpg

what the hell are you talking about? Nice story though...Funny, but yeah...

Jun 1, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #381 of 587
The original author of Hifiman called Winny in the internet. It is said that his son likes Winnie the Pooh. He started to make electrostatic headphones very early. His early masterpiece was a replica of Orpheus——Jade. But he cannot produce Jade in bunch, I read an interview, He said that Jade with the best sound has slight electric leakage, like a needle, while Jade with very safe sound is not pleasant to hear. His partner, Dr. Bian fan, accidentally discovered that he had made a planar headphone, which was actually a small toy he had made for himself. Dr. Bian Fang thought that since electrostatic headphones could not be put on the market, it would be better to make planar one. Only in this way did the famous he6 come into being. In other words, the development of he6 was an accident.

Although the success of he6 has gained a great reputation, it has not sold a lot because He6 is difficult to drive and heavy to wear. After the market test of He560, they decided to develop their flagship. I believe they want to make their Orpheus through planar headphone beacuse the Electrostatic technology is still immature.

I remember Hifiman He1000v1 was announced as the flagship when it was released. However, it is reported that it has made obvious mistakes in tuning, I haven't actually heard of V1 so I have no idea what mistakes. So hifiman he1000v2 is likely to be a product of public relations crisis. It solves the problem of he1000v1, but deviates from the original path, thus its price collapse seems reasonable. Then hifiman launched the he1000se, which became an headphone that is easy to drive. I think this declared the complete failure of this series because this is not the positioning of the flagship. Although this series failed, it did not stop developing, all costs of Hek series became sunk costs, a friend told me he found arya sounds like he1000v1, if it is true, that means Hifman reborn he1000v1 through Arya.

After the success of He6 and the failure of HE1000, they finally produced a very strong product. I would like to call it a real planar flagship-Susvara. On the other hand, Winny did not give up electrostatic headphone, and finally made Shangri La, but it was extremely expensive.

As for R10D/P? It was completely copied from Sony.

What I wrote is not from speculation. The evidence is hidden in hifiman's product tree.000647baa4tow4ww49r9zc.jpg

your post literally made me rolling on the floor laughing.

Jun 5, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #385 of 587
Hi Sajid (and All), sorry if this has already been discussed, but how would you compare the Audeze LCD4 and the Carbon e-stat? (Or I'd guess the LCD5 and Carbon are more alike?) Thanks.
Very briefly, the LCD5 was a bit disappointing for me in the long run due to comfort mostly. I also found it a bit dry overall after a few months. It's also very forward in the upper mids. But it's a technical power house no doubt, with class-leading clarity and resolution. It's one of those headphones for which an audition is a must. Some do like it.

The LCD4 I personally enjoyed, because I loved the bass and the mids, and the treble took to EQ like a champ. Once EQ-ed, it's a really fun and enjoyable headphone, and performs well across the FR. The bass, in terms of subbass to midbass balance, bass depth, tightness, speed, resolution, and impact is just class-leading. I think the TC hits harder but the LCD4 is close, and for overall bass enjoyment, it's a must-have, unless you already have many bassy cans. It's dark in its stock tuning, which is also nice sometimes. This again, is a must audition. Opinions are divided on the 4.

The CRBN is like an e-stat version of the HD650 (not a 100% but close) and for me, it has better bass than any e-stat out there. In fact, it's got good bass, in terms of all the aforementioned aspects of bass, compared to not just stats but any headphone, IMO. However, I find that the uppermids can be just a tad shouty on certain tracks, but not as much as the LCD-5. I also find the treble a bit dark occasionally, but it still has some sparkle, and overall, I personally really like the CRBN, and consider it to have a "safer" tuning compared to the LCD4 and 5. Technically, it's impressive as well, although I find it less resolving than the 009/009S.

And as always, YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #387 of 587
Very briefly, the LCD5 was a bit disappointing for me in the long run due to comfort mostly. I also found it a bit dry overall after a few months. It's also very forward in the upper mids. But it's a technical power house no doubt, with class-leading clarity and resolution. It's one of those headphones for which, an audition is a must. Some do like it.

The LCD4 I personally enjoyed, because I loved the bass and the mids, and the treble took to EQ like a champ. Once EQ-ed, it's a really fun and enjoyable headphone, and performs well across the FR. The bass, in terms of subbass to midbass balance, bass depth, tightness, speed, resolution, and impact is just class-leading. I think the TC hits harder but the LCD4 is close, and for overall bass enjoyment, it's a must-have, unless you already have many bassy cans. It's dark in its stock tuning, which is also nice sometimes. This again, is a must audition. Opinions are divided on the 4.

The CRBN is like an e-stat version of the HD650 (not a 100% but close) and for me, it has better bass than any e-stat out there. In fact, it's got good bass, in terms of all the aforementioned aspects of bass, compared to not just stats but any headphone, IMO. However, I find that the uppermids can be just a tad shouty on certain tracks, but not as much as the LCD-5. I also find the treble a bit dark occasionally, but it still has some sparkle, and overall, I personally really like the CRBN, and consider it to have a "safer" tuning compared to the LCD4 and 5. Technically, it's impressive as well, although I find it less resolving than the 009/009S.

And as always, YMMV.
I may have asked this before so excuse me..... But have you tried the LCD-3?
For the soundstage is the best out of any headphone, admittedly I have weird taste, it's the most laid back by far, and male vocals... scary good!
Was a sleeper hit glad I bought on blind now I have a new one.
Clearly nowhere as much performance as the 4 though, and the bass is lacking compared to the un-EQ'ed 4, it's close to being great, but there is a clear difference and fun it lacks
Obligatory sexy picture on Zebrawood, had this convo with another user here but the wood on a lot of LCD-3's looks like it belongs on the 4
bing chilling.jpg

Edit- I remembered I already asked this sorry!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #388 of 587
I may have asked this before so excuse me..... But have you tried the LCD-3?
For the soundstage is the best out of any headphone, admittedly I have weird taste, it's the most laid back by far, and male vocals... scary good!
Was a sleeper hit glad I bought on blind now I have a new one.
Clearly nowhere as much performance as the 4 though, and the bass is lacking compared to the un-EQ'ed 4, it's close to being great, but there is a clear difference and fun it lacks
Obligatory sexy picture on Zebrawood, had this convo with another user here but the wood on a lot of LCD-3's looks like it belongs on the 4
bing chilling.jpg
An Oppo Ha1, that's a rare sieht!

Jun 5, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #390 of 587
love it to death! feel lucky I found something so cheap I like so much pretty soon into my journey, 100% has saved me a lot of money!
I used to have an Oppo Sonica DAC. For the price unbeatable products.

Too Bad Oppo doesn't produce hifi electronics anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back