Amping for dt770/80 fps gaming on ps3, mixamp vs turtle beach earforce dss
May 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Im currently looking to invest in either the earforce dss or the astro mixamp to pair with my beyer dt770 80 ohm cans. I have been a little dissapointed with the positioning of the cans, and i tried hooking them up with the Fiio e7, and then the E9 but this didnt help all that much, i now just plug them into the Arcam Solo Neo sterio i have next to the tv (parents sterio), rather than diretly from TV output.

I was wondering what the best option would be as i heard some people saying the dss was not great and others saying it was on par with the mixamp, also i heard its a litlle bass heavy? I do not use any form of mic with the cans so this feature of the mixamp is irrelevant. Can get the the dss for £65 and mixamp £110, so i would naturally go for the dss :)

Also what would be the best way to hook up the dss or mixamp to my dt770?

ps3>dss/mixamp>amp (arcam solo neo/ E7)>dt770  ?

Thanks allot, also wondering what games people are playing and they find have good SQ ony have COD games, but getting a little bored, so was thinking of getting Killzone 3 or bad company 2 :)

Thanks for the time youve taken to read this, and please help!

May 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Both of those don't get good reviews...

Personally, I'd keep using the Arcam Solo Neo.

Oh, well ive been reading on amzon (although some may have nothing to compare it to) and they seem to be reviewed well. Also some people on hear have held them in good regard :)

I'm interested in where the bad reviews are as i would love to give them a read as these amps arent cheap and I'd hate to waste £110 :frowning2:
Are there any other options?

Thanks

May 26, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
The DSS is horrible.  Its signal/noise ratio is abysmal, you will hear lots of static hiss even at the lowest of volumes.

OK cheers, I have just looked at the pictures and the USB leads supplied doesnt have chokes, (i think there called that) I have the lead that i  got with the fiio e7 and it has chokes, will this reduce the hiss to you believe, or is the hiss developed in the process or turing the signal to dolby 5.1? Its the lead that has usb to micro usb i believe (one ps3 controllers use)
Also if i hook the DSS up to another amp will this reduce the hiss?

Thanks for all the helpp guys! XD

May 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 10
I think the hiss has to do with the way Turtle Beach amps their products.  I owned the DPX21 for a while (which is the px21 with the dss packaged) and both produced their own hiss because of the amping.

Double amping will only make hiss worse, as the DPX21 exemplifies.  

I'm not sure about the exact number of watts it takes to properly power an 80ohm beyer, but the mixmap provides 70mwatters per channel at 32ohm while DSS does 40mwatts per channel at 32ohm.  The other major factor between the two besides power and signal/noise is their features. DSS gives you bass boost while mixamp lets you mix voice chat volume with game volume.

May 27, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 10
yeh i dont need any of the featues, just down to pure sound quality! :)
Is SQ the same for both?

May 27, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #9 of 10
They both use the same dolby processing, so surround sound is the same.  I never A/B'd them enough to test their sound signatures, but the overwhelming flaw in the DSS is its signal/noise compared to the mixamp.  You'll hear hiss on the DSS even at lowest volumes, while noise only starts to slightly kick in on the mixamp at around 60%.

May 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
They both use the same dolby processing, so surround sound is the same.  I never A/B'd them enough to test their sound signatures, but the overwhelming flaw in the DSS is its signal/noise compared to the mixamp.  You'll hear hiss on the DSS even at lowest volumes, while noise only starts to slightly kick in on the mixamp at around 60%.

Yeh i think I'm going to leave it, as i can only imagine that I'm going to be dissapointed with the noise flaw od the DSS, and i cant afford the mixamp :frowning2:
Also killzone 3's footsteps arent great and thats the game ive been playing recently!

Thanks for your help everyone, i'm going to keep an eye out on the for sale forums though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back