Amp8-EX Fan-Edition Preorder by Ibasso
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #571 of 704
With relief, it's travels to Japan, Germany, and France are over and at 3rd entry to UK, its met my whole family. In fact they all came out to greet it and welcome their fellow brother to the clan, Happy Days!

Thanks to Vinh, Paul, iBasso technicians and every one else involved in this:smile_phones:

200113 Ibasso 8EXFE 6a.jpg

200113 Ibasso 8EXFE 8a.jpg

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #573 of 704
Just had it delivered this afternoon. Have left my DX228 at work so will have to wait. I need to finish an IEM review before I switch over to the goodness.

My utmost gratitude to @Whitigir, @Paul - iBasso and everyone else at iBasso for their hard work and commitment.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #574 of 704
Ibasso is really responsive. Paul is very fast , but he is usually slower when Ibasso is getting ready for new products, and there are 3 more coming

Yes, I'm sure he's busy especially chinese new year is around the corner. Anyway my dx220 & amp8ex has arrived at ibasso yesterday.

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #575 of 704
Jan 14, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #577 of 704
Agreed with these. mine already 250 hours
Hehehe.. Actually have the chance to try with SP2K last week. Compare to DX220 + AMP8EX-FE, the tonality almost the same.. what SP2K still better, is the clarity of Treble (especially in spark) and the dark background.
Dynamic wise, SP2K still better by a bit marginal.
On Vocal, the detail is almost the same, still SP2K better in edge clarity (female vocal will get the best effect)

Different matter, last weekend, was tried pairing AMP8EX-FE with DX220 local Mod... The different is not much with my DX220... except my DX220 sounds more analytical then the Mod version.... burn in effect on the device ??? dunno..
My point, SQ increase more on modding AMP then Modding DX220, CMIIW... well that's based on my exp...

and this bad boy get a lot of power boost and Vocal refine with DX220 AMP8EX-FE

*not my photo, because I prefer This bad boy with AMP9... the vocal is more emphasizing... my kind of cup of tea...

To improve treble clarity you can replace the Blue Nichicon main cap with a Elna Cerafine. To my ears the Cerafine imparts analog smoothness, but increases the high end clarity and sparkle. Sadly, they're no longer in production, but you can get them from PartsConnexion up in Canada. They are an amazing capacitor.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #579 of 704
To improve treble clarity you can replace the Blue Nichicon main cap with a Elna Cerafine. To my ears the Cerafine imparts analog smoothness, but increases the high end clarity and sparkle. Sadly, they're no longer in production, but you can get them from PartsConnexion up in Canada. They are an amazing capacitor.
woah... i heard that Elna...

just a stupid question, why these capasitor is become rare or gone? sorry, just curious...

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #580 of 704
woah... i heard that Elna...
just a stupid question, why these capasitor is become rare or gone? sorry, just curious...

It's not a stupid question at all, especially as many considered the Cerafine to be one of the finest capacitors ever made. Elna replaced them with the Silmic IIs which are in your amp8EX-FE. I think this satisfied most people because the Silmics have a fuller softer sound. However, a lot of audiophiles were disappointed because the Cerafines have a level of transparency/clarity that the Silmics are not able to achieve. The Sil-mics incorporate silk fibers whereas the Cera-fines are infused with ceramic particles. To my mind they achieve two different pinnacle sounds and I really wish Elna kept both in their product line. Personally, I believe the best sound is achieved by combining them both, but it really depends on the needs of your system.

If you're interested I wrote up build describing the effects of the combination here: Post #208
It also shows you where to put the Cerafine if you are into tinkering.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #583 of 704
The Amp8EX alone can not squeeze out enough Bass and trebles Details and extensions as much as the main body EX upgraded. The DX220 was designed with modular design, and so the Main body is the Sources and the Amp8 is an amp. Just like any high-end system, if your sources is not up to par, then the amp can only do as much. But needless to say, if you have the Main body Dx220EX, then the experiences of the whole combination is going to be Elevated into another notch yet again!. To me, the Dx220EX is very important, a must :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back