Here we are!

IMG_20191227_131440.jpg

IMG_20191227_131546.jpg

IMG_20191227_131555.jpg

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #380 of 704
First impressions of AMP8-EX vs AMP8:

1. The high frequencies definition is more detailed on the AMP8-EX
2. I am surprised by the separation and wide soundstage on the AMP8-EX
3. I am still missing the punch on the basses which is stunning on the AMP8. For now it is almost absent on the AMP8-EX.

I will update you in the meanwhile of the burn-in.

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #381 of 704
Phoned DHL (£10 credit used!) to see why they haven't contacted me re. Stuck Shipment of Amp8-EX, as waiting in today for signature required.

DHL say HK Yong Shun Trade / iBasso Account in UK has been suspended by Customs/DHL as there is money owed by firm. They would give no further details other than that it is being sent back to iBasso who they have advised to use other Couriers in future. And that I should request payment back from Supplier.

Despite plea from me to allow shipment as DHL accepted parcel in Hong Kong and sort out externally with firm, they said there is no chance once account has been closed.

@Paul - iBasso please help!!!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #382 of 704
First impressions of AMP8-EX vs AMP8:

1. The high frequencies definition is more detailed on the AMP8-EX
2. I am surprised by the separation and wide soundstage on the AMP8-EX
3. I am still missing the punch on the basses which is stunning on the AMP8. For now it is almost absent on the AMP8-EX.

I will update you in the meanwhile of the burn-in.

thank you for the impressions. Allows me to share some interesting history
You are correct with the above counts. The Amp8EX aimed for all of those, especially #3. The stock Amp8 has a very special Bass line toward Sub-bass into low bass. But IMO it was not accurate according to my experiences and Opinion. Over here, I have to say that “your preferences” will matter. This was why a long time ago when I first published the Amp8W mod, I mentioned that “Ibasso engineerings is brilliant, And so I am holding in my hands a very unique devices with so much capability. The bass line that IMO is a little bloated, was intentional to begin with for the Amp8 as most of other modules are pretty flat and boring with their bass lines.” After the Amp8W, I realized so much that the Amp8 had the potentials to show a “references bass line as much as an emphasized bass line”. So the Amp8EX happened and aimed toward those counts as you mentioned.

Actually there are 2 different versions of the Amp8, and the first version of the Amp8 was made for DX200 and Dx200Ti, while the Amp8 V2 was released at the time that Dx220 was released. Under my experiences for all of them, I am pretty sure that Amp8 Original was aimed toward a more references sound signatures. Therefore, over my thread of DIY, You could found the “how to EX” for your original Amp8. Later on, I also showed the Amp8 V2 which was aimed toward Dx220 signatures with a little stronger bass lines, impact and lower mid spectrums. Therefore, I actually played around, tuned and made 2 versions of Amp8EX V2. The one version is To enhance Ibasso intentions, which focuses toward Bass and lower mid. Then there is a References version of Amp8EX V2, which I have never published for DIY.

The Amp8EX-FE is the Amp8EX References tuning for the V2 (current productions). It aims toward soundstage, separations, imagines accuracies, timbres density, accurate bass lines, musical and yet remain very Neutral.

the one thing to notice is that due to this references tuning, your bass lines will improve very slowly, and will only show itself after 200-250 hours mark. However as mentioned, 24 hours is the least needed to start enjoying the Amp8EX-FE. For people who love to ride along the burn-in period. You will also experience the rolling coaster effects during this burn-in period too.

For all that said, there is a line of where I found things still remaining neutral, references, and since Ibasso MoTo for Dx220 is “references”, the Amp8EX-FE is aiming toward “references” :).

please share with all of us on your findings

Dec 27, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #383 of 704
Guess I got super lucky. Also ordered to Germany. Mine got stuck in Hong Kong customs for 3 days.Got it delivered today around 8.20am. I immediately installed it and to my surprise it already sounds better to me than the stock amp8. This is a masterpiece, got a dx220 on the way but until then gonna enjoy it with my dx200,after burning it in for 9h at work all there is to say from my side is "WOW,it sounds unreal". Thank you Ibasso, Paul and Vince.
Wish you all happy new year.
20191227_164002_HDR[1].jpg 20191227_163920_HDR[1].jpg 20191227_163952_HDR[1].jpg

Dec 27, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #384 of 704
Phoned DHL (£10 credit used!) to see why they haven't contacted me re. Stuck Shipment of Amp8-EX, as waiting in today for signature required.

DHL say HK Yong Shun Trade / iBasso Account in UK has been suspended by Customs/DHL as there is money owed by firm and under-valuation. They would give no further details other than that it is being sent back to iBasso who they have advised to use other Couriers in future. And that I should request payment back from Supplier.

Despite plea from me to allow shipment as DHL accepted parcel in Hong Kong and sort out externally with firm, they said there is no chance once account has been closed.

@Paul - iBasso please help!!!

Same happened to me - delivery held up in clearance delay at East Midlands hub. I have emailed them my PayPal receipt - ukupd@dhl.com. They seemed to think that it would be OK - I might have to pay the duty or possibly not.

@Paul - iBasso: who knows what will happen!

Dec 27, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #385 of 704
Same happened to me - delivery held up in clearance delay at East Midlands hub. I have emailed them my PayPal receipt - ukupd@dhl.com. They seemed to think that it would be OK - I might have to pay the duty or possibly not.

@Paul - iBasso: who knows what will happen!
We are discussing this with the courier service we use for shipping.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 27, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #386 of 704
We are discussing this with the courier service we use for shipping.

Hi Paul, Can you stop my unit being sent back to you? DHL would not enter any discussion with me to prevent return. I lost £10 credit on my phone I had to use to DHL CS before call expired.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #387 of 704

Out of the box impression :
- not as bad as AMP8 out of the box.. MUDDY
- Its like AMp1Mk2 with more detail Vocal.
- No midcentric issued, which is Sub bass and spark roll off, with AMP8EX FE all still in place...
- pair with Solaris, Less Hiss then AMp1Mk2 (extra surprises for me).

Ok... so far is above my expectations... its burn in time...

edit : Grand effect appear... wow... its like first time try SP2000CU...
need to do compare that again....
now that is a huge statement when u mention its like sp2000cu which i sold , i need to get one amp 8ex immediately if that is true, will ibasso continue selling it or is that it ? Anyone wants to trade with my amp9 with amp8 ex

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #388 of 704
thank you for the impressions. Allows me to share some interesting history
You are correct with the above counts. The Amp8EX aimed for all of those, especially #3. The stock Amp8 has a very special Bass line toward Sub-bass into low bass. But IMO it was not accurate according to my experiences and Opinion. Over here, I have to say that “your preferences” will matter. This was why a long time ago when I first published the Amp8W mod, I mentioned that “Ibasso engineerings is brilliant, And so I am holding in my hands a very unique devices with so much capability. The bass line that IMO is a little bloated, was intentional to begin with for the Amp8 as most of other modules are pretty flat and boring with their bass lines.” After the Amp8W, I realized so much that the Amp8 had the potentials to show a “references bass line as much as an emphasized bass line”. So the Amp8EX happened and aimed toward those counts as you mentioned.

Actually there are 2 different versions of the Amp8, and the first version of the Amp8 was made for DX200 and Dx200Ti, while the Amp8 V2 was released at the time that Dx220 was released. Under my experiences for all of them, I am pretty sure that Amp8 Original was aimed toward a more references sound signatures. Therefore, over my thread of DIY, You could found the “how to EX” for your original Amp8. Later on, I also showed the Amp8 V2 which was aimed toward Dx220 signatures with a little stronger bass lines, impact and lower mid spectrums. Therefore, I actually played around, tuned and made 2 versions of Amp8EX V2. The one version is To enhance Ibasso intentions, which focuses toward Bass and lower mid. Then there is a References version of Amp8EX V2, which I have never published for DIY.

The Amp8EX-FE is the Amp8EX References tuning for the V2 (current productions). It aims toward soundstage, separations, imagines accuracies, timbres density, accurate bass lines, musical and yet remain very Neutral.

the one thing to notice is that due to this references tuning, your bass lines will improve very slowly, and will only show itself after 200-250 hours mark. However as mentioned, 24 hours is the least needed to start enjoying the Amp8EX-FE. For people who love to ride along the burn-in period. You will also experience the rolling coaster effects during this burn-in period too.

For all that said, there is a line of where I found things still remaining neutral, references, and since Ibasso MoTo for Dx220 is “references”, the Amp8EX-FE is aiming toward “references” :).

please share with all of us on your findings

is the bass at least same quantity and impact as in amp1mk2

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #389 of 704
Further Details - Shipment is held pending clarification of goods valuation
Next Steps - A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer for further clarification or proof of valuation if required by Customs.

Just got this from DHL Heathrow UK
so bit confused as some people are saying it’s going back to Ibasso due to account issues. I’ve already made payment for import/tax duty of £3.40 so very confused now...

Dec 27, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #390 of 704
Further Details - Shipment is held pending clarification of goods valuation
Next Steps - A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer for further clarification or proof of valuation if required by Customs.

Just got this from DHL Heathrow UK
so bit confused as some people are saying it’s going back to Ibasso due to account issues. I’ve already made payment for import/tax duty of £3.40 so very confused now...

Same message I believe for all Uk buyers. I had already paid the £3.40 to DHL when unit in Hong Kong, so thought all good, but told that DHL have cancelled account with iBasso’s shippers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back