Amp3
Jan 31, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2,011 of 2,090
Yeah Shigzeo your right...but hiss doesn't bother me too much as long as it isn't too loud. In my case it has never been enough to bother me. I am really curious about the DT880s i have never spent any real time with beyers. So i am curious about how they sound.

If you want to use the amp3 as pre-amp i just use two sets of rca to mini cables. One connects the source(in my case cd player) to the amp3 line in jack. Then the other connects the headphone out of the amp3 to the rca jacks in my C2C.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #2,013 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I have the CD player, but I guess it requires an amp with RCA inputs, or would a mini to mini work as well?

Yes, mini to mini will work as well. From AMP3 headphone out to the line-in of the second amp. When I use AMP3 as preamp, I set it at almost the highest volume level (30/31) and then regulate the volume with the second amp, which in my case right now is a Ibasso T3. No hiss and nice resolution and depth to be heard by my ears.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #2,015 of 2,090
Yeah it works with a mini to mini too. All you need to do is connect a source to the amp 3 line in. Then connect the headphone out to the line in of the second amp. Let us know what you think of using the amp3 as a pre-amp because i am sure you will like it!

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #2,017 of 2,090
As a source, I have used a variety of machines from the lowly professional-on-a-budget Edirol FA66 (balanced output to single ended mini TRS), to the Fubar IV, iPod touch with LOD/without LOD, Sony 828, Fuze, and another AMP3 (since the one I returned to HiSound came back - we are both confused about this).

Why I love the AMP3 as a pre-amp: very good LR channel balance, perfect digital volume governor, good performance even at high volumes (can take in a lot of volume and spit out unloaded signal with very low distortion).

If only it would do the same whilst driving most headphones, it would be 'perfect'. Again, the DT880 experiment will come in a few weeks (when me headphones come back) and I expect each AMP3 to do wonders with the separate L and R channels for the DT880.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #2,018 of 2,090
I have so far only tried Fuze, Creative ZVM through Lod's and a Sony S639 ( through headphone out) into the AMP3 as a preamp and then finally using a Ibasso T3 as the "control amp".

These combo's I have tried matching up with lower impedance IEM's like Fischer Audio Eterna, Monster Turbine and Sennheiser IE8, all warmer sounding and somewhat bass focused IEM's, and I certainly hear a better resolution of lower frequencies and also more depth in soundstage.
Much better what the AMP3 can produce itself, or using AMP3just as an amp with the same sources.
Hiss is gone unless I turn up the control amp extremely loud where it become's very uncomfortable to my ears and also at a level where the neighbours starts complaining!

Unfortunately this is not a very portable solution at all, but it does seems like the Amp3 does really well as a preamp

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #2,019 of 2,090
The truth is that since i got my zune hd i rarely take my amp3 out of the home. I would rather enjoy it as an amp/pre-amp or with my yuins in my house. I am glad that you like the amp3 as a pre-amp. I will spend more time comparing the amp3 as a pre-amp but my impressions so far have been really good.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #2,021 of 2,090
One of my "Big Treat" listens, for a while now, has been from my AMP3-Pro.1 (used as a Player), and using a mini-to-RCAPair cable into my Amphora - driving my ALO-780. It displays the depth, fullness, musical beauty and presence of bass of which these phones are capable, as well as how beautiful and exquisite its mids and highs can sound. This rig has me looking forward, with great expectancy, to the sound of which the Studio may be capable - with its direct connection between the Player and its enhanced amp section, relative to the AMP3. In the AMP3 setup I'm using at home, I'm really using the AMP3 as Player + Pre-Amp, leaving the work of the amp component to the Amphora - and it sounds exceptional. Of course, at work, where I'm using the AMP3 with a pair of Senn MX-660 earbuds, it sounds surprisingly full and wonderful as well.

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #2,022 of 2,090
Well i have always liked my 780s but never really heard them till i used my amp3 as a pre-amp they sound so good it is ridiculous. It just pushes out the sound of the headphones so much so it likes fills the air around my head if it makes any sense. I agree with you sbulack on the highs and mids sound on those cans. But what appeals to me most is the bass that you can feel but is still not muddy...

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #2,023 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i have always liked my 780s but never really heard them till i used my amp3 as a pre-amp they sound so good it is ridiculous. It just pushes out the sound of the headphones so much so it likes fills the air around my head if it makes any sense. ...

That description makes perfect sense to me. From even before I had my HFI-780's modded to ALO-780's, I've always found their sound to be a fully enveloping and totally engaging immersion in the sound - which exists and unfolds all around and outside the listener. The mod to ALO-780's only served to expand the envelopment and immersion in the sound while using them all the more. Since I started hooking my AMP3 up to my Amphora, I've been using the 780's and enjoying them more as well. There's some fine synergy going on there with the AMP3 in the audio path to the 780's.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #2,024 of 2,090
Your Amphora can be used as a pre amp as well? I just wonder, how does the AMP3 as a pre-amp compare against the Amphora's pre-amp function. I figure that you would need another amplifier at the same quality level or so to be able to compare this. But if you do so, it could maybe indicate where the quality of the AMP3 as a preamp could be subjectively compared against.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #2,025 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they don't isolate, but as I have not had good experience with a single isolating earphone with the AMP3, I don't mind. The amp3 needs that 150Ω to achieve linear bass response and not drive up a few undesirable things: hiss and distortion. Thus, the PK1 are probably one of the only earphones which are really driven well by the AMP3 and ones I must buy.

This post got me thinking about trying the RE1 with the AMP3. PK1 is no-go for me 'cause I need isolation for commuting. But at nearly identical 150Ω and 103dB sensitivity the RE1's specs looked good.

Long story short the RE1 is the best IEM match with the AMP3 I've heard to date. Still some hiss but only very faint. At first the RE1 seemed a bit dark, but after swapping the stock filters for cotton swab I like them a lot. Quite flat, detailed and non fatiguing - highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back