Amp3
Feb 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #2,026 of 2,090
Seems like the thread has settled into people using the Amp3 for preamp, amp and/or DAP. Guess we've finally gotten beyond the hair-pulling aspect of the Amp3. I just have used mine as an at-home DAP, but excited to try it as a preamp. All I need to do is get another amp, something not too expensive. Sounds like a fun way to use it. Of course, the Studio I is around the corner, I think.

Also, currently enjoying the CK10s and the Amp3. A little hiss, but when the music is playing, sounds great.

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #2,027 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jupiterknight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your Amphora can be used as a pre amp as well? I just wonder, how does the AMP3 as a pre-amp compare against the Amphora's pre-amp function. I figure that you would need another amplifier at the same quality level or so to be able to compare this. But if you do so, it could maybe indicate where the quality of the AMP3 as a preamp could be subjectively compared against.

Yes, the Amphora does function as a pre-amp and has a Pre-Amp Output RCA pair. Sitting right next to the Amphora is a Mapletree Ear+ HD amp, and an iMod perched in a VCap (VHAudio OIMP caps) Lineout Dock. If I use the iMod/VCap-dock as the input source for both the AMP3 and the Amphora, and run the output of each of the AMP3 and the Amphora into the Mapletree, I could get some sense of how the AMP3 headphone-out compares to the Amphora pre-amp out as pre-amps for the Mapletree.

I'm not sure when I'd actually be able to try this. Setting it up is the relatively quick part, it's doing the comparative listening that gets to be the time-consuming part. But, since we're (very off-label, I'm sure) very happily talking about our use of the AMP3 as a pre-amp, I agree that it would be an interesting assessment of the AMP3's pre-amp quality to compare its pre-amp function to an actual pre-amp. I don't have a dedicated pre-amp, but, as Jupiterknight noticed, I do have a good quality amp with a pre-amp circuit - which I'd expect to supply a good example of pre-amp function.

I'll likely try this at some point (no breath-holding here, I'm really not sure when), and I'll post what I hear. Thanks, Jupiterknight, for spotting the opportunity for an interesting comparison.

I'm hoping that the Studio, with its enhanced amp section, will surpass, or at least be good enough to replace, my present use of a dedicated headphone amp with the AMP3. A one-small-box listening solution is surely a whole lot more convenient than a two-box-with-IC solution.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #2,028 of 2,090
^^ - yes. that is what is needed. The AMP3's size is perfect. If only their next box can deliver the goods: quality amp section for a large range of headphones with no ill effects, clean signal, and if possible, a stable OS. That would persuade me to drop my iPod touch and Fuze and Sony in favour of the HiSound. I am as of yet, unconvinced.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #2,029 of 2,090
Sbulack, thanks for your reply. You're right that it's somewhat out of context to discuss
the AMP3 as a dedicated preamp. To me it's just interesting to experience another use of this unit. A functionality that bypasses some of the well known issues or bugs that most owners most likely has experienced. Certainly a one-box solution is what I prefer too. But while we wait to hear about if the Studio actually will deliver what has been promised it can do, I may as well spend a little time experimenting with different uses of the AMP3.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #2,030 of 2,090
More and more i find myself experimenting with the amp3...i have gone from originally using it as a DAP to now using it as a amp/pre-amp. But as Jupiterknight mentioned i originally did this to avoid the bugs of using the amp3 as a DAP. Honestly i have not been excited about the studio, but i think i might have to start putting money aside for it. Put a must for me is having all the bugs fixed. I am sure the SQ of the studio will exceed that of the amp3.

I agree sbulack the 780s are an amazing set of headphones. i for one don't like my alo-780s straight out of the amp3 but i love how they sound with the amp3 in the audio chain. So musical and accurate and the bass is controlled while still being abundant. More than anything the fact they immerse me in the music. Since i started using the amp3 as a pre-amp my 780s are getting more head time than my HF2s.

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #2,031 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since i started using the amp3 as a pre-amp my 780s are getting more head time than my HF2s.

That goes for me too.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #2,032 of 2,090
Where can I get latest firmware to the AMP3 Pro1? And does it support 16GB memory card after upgrade?
PS. Where's the "hold" switch?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #2,033 of 2,090
I am not sure where you can get the latest firmware but if worse comes to worse i can email you what I have. Unfortunately there no hold switch for the amp3

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #2,035 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some firmware versions. I forget which is which. I think they both work with the Pro1.

Pro2 American

Please be aware that the the PRO1 And pro2 have different circuit designs, so please don't misuse the software of them. If you need the correct software, you can contact with Hisoundaudio for helping. Their service is great.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #2,036 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I get latest firmware to the AMP3 Pro1? And does it support 16GB memory card after upgrade?
PS. Where's the "hold" switch?
confused_face_2.gif

5.31 is the latest Pro.1 FW release to date. And, in my hands and on my Pro.1, I am successfully and happily using a 16GB sdhc card on my Pro.1 which is running the 5.31 FW.

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #2,037 of 2,090
Thanks
I have another synergy with AMP3
smily_headphones1.gif
which is Sony MDR-EX82/85 earphones. Someone mentioned that SHE9500 sounds great with AMP3. I have SHE9500 and I can say that EX82/85 sounds to me noticeable better with AMP3. Still I have to try KPP and NuForce NE-6, because I found AMP3 likes bassy earphones
biggrin.gif

PS. I like Metal music if it matters :p
and sorry for my english
PS2. It's a shame there's no hold swith
frown.gif
.... so basic function

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #2,038 of 2,090
Well arthass i have found that the buttons on the amp3 are so hard to push anyways that a hold button isn't really necessary. But what you are saying pretty much is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the amp3 and its usability issues.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #2,040 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume the studio version will change all of that as it looks to have individual radio buttons rather than a 'dial'.

I didn't know that. Have any pics of the studio been released??...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back