Amp3
Jan 28, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #1,996 of 2,090
Update: AMP PRO2 with 75 ohm resistance and Monster Turbine Pro (gold) - bass resolution is back (without the resistance, it is gone). Hiss still present, but at tolerable levels (without, still not as bad as can be).

But, the earphone lacks edge either way. No grit, no edge detail. Like the entire scene is pulled through an antialiasing filter. The earphone is already somewhat smooth, any smoother and it loses its 'fun'. Good earphone, not an excellent combination, but not bad.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #1,997 of 2,090
Well i am glad to hear about the zinos. I was seriously looking into getting them as an upgrade to my porta pros. But i went the iem route. I agree with everything that you said about ultrasones.

Luckily i mostly listen to the genres of music where my 780s really shine

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #1,998 of 2,090
I haven't heard the 780 though I may buy a pair eventually. I have heard all the other ones except the Pro 900. The Zino are the most Ultrasone of all Ultrasones, with a very bright nature. I like their mids especially with the AMP3 and overall control, but do keep a mind: they are bright!

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #1,999 of 2,090
Well i am not sure till i hear them what i will think of them. I want the headphones but i just don't have a need for them portable. So i cant justify a purchase right now. Maybe i will be able to con someone into buying them for me as a birthday present.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #2,000 of 2,090
speaking of differences between the pro1 and pro2, has anyone done a comparison between the sound signatures of firmware 5.41 and 5.42 for the pro2?

I recently decided to upgrade my firmware and was convinced i heard a change in sound, but i hadnt really memorized the old sound and im not sure exactly what changed.

Jan 29, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #2,001 of 2,090
Sorry i am not sure if my post makes any sense. But tonight i was bored and playing around mixing up my audio chain.

First i hooked my amp3 via line in to my cd player and listened to it. I have done this before and i like how it sounds but i prefer using my C2C as an amp. But the only thing is that the gain is too high and i generally have to listen to music a tad louder than i like to overcome the channel imbalance.

So i decided to try using the amp3 as a pre-amplifier and i feel like i getting the best of both worlds. Like i am getting the SQ of listening to my C2C but i can adjust the volume exactly how i like it.

But my brain tells me that logically using the amp3 as a pre-amp would only mean that i would ampilfy how the amp3 usually sounds. But my ears tell me that what i am listening to sounds very different than my amp3.

So i guess has anyone used the amp3 as a pre-amp and how did you like the results??

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2,002 of 2,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by abellaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry i am not sure if my post makes any sense. But tonight i was bored and playing around mixing up my audio chain.

First i hooked my amp3 via line in to my cd player and listened to it. I have done this before and i like how it sounds but i prefer using my C2C as an amp. But the only thing is that the gain is too high and i generally have to listen to music a tad louder than i like to overcome the channel imbalance.

So i decided to try using the amp3 as a pre-amplifier and i feel like i getting the best of both worlds. Like i am getting the SQ of listening to my C2C but i can adjust the volume exactly how i like it.

But my brain tells me that logically using the amp3 as a pre-amp would only mean that i would ampilfy how the amp3 usually sounds. But my ears tell me that what i am listening to sounds very different than my amp3.

So i guess has anyone used the amp3 as a pre-amp and how did you like the results??

Your results make sense to me for the following reasons:
1) While using the AMP3 as a pre-amp, you are not using it as a player, so that the AMP3 is not contributing its source characteristics to the sound. The AMP3 is receiving a line-level signal from the CD player, which is functioning as the source in this chain. This is one reason for why using the AMP3 as pre-amp might be expected to not sound like using the AMP3 as a player.
2) In using the AMP3 as a pre-amp, you are not really using it as an amp either (other than to adjust the volume of the line-level audio signal). Allow me to explain. An amp provides audio, with power, to a driver. It uses its amp circuitry to provide not only voltage levels, but current levels as well, to enable the driver to produce the audio sound according to its electrical needs. Using the AMP3 as a pre-amp, its output is going to a relatively high-impedance 2nd amp input. The 2nd amp is looking for just a voltage vs time trace to describe the audio signal, and it is not making power demands from the source, and so, the AMP3 is not really acting as an amp, but more as a line-out. So, the AMP3 is not really interjecting its amp attributes into the audio chain either. All that the AMP3 is being asked to do (and really, being given the opportunity to do) is to adjust the volume level of the line-level signal from its input going out to its output, which, from your satisfied description, it is doing nicely.

So, your observation makes complete sense to me that in an audio chain using the AMP3 as a pre-amp (in which it is only adjusting the voltage level of the line-level audio signal being run through it), the overall sound is different from using the AMP3 as a player (in which it is contributing both its source and amp characteristics into the audio chain).

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #2,003 of 2,090
Wow thanks for the through explanation sbulack. I never thought of it like that...But i think i am liking the amp3 as a pre-amp for right now. It will tide me over till i get a dedicated pre-amp.

Just when i think i know the amp3 i find something out that i really like. My 780s have never sounded more musical. To top it off i just got some new cds and a supposed boring night turned in to a nice listening session.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #2,004 of 2,090
Yes, I also prefer to use the AMP3 as a pre-amp especially when using low Ω headphones. With proper headphones, I mind less, but overall, the same pretty good signature gets a better oomph with an external amp.

The AMP3's strengths are probably most congealed in its preamp capabilities. I hope HiSound's next DAP/AMP is able to take the player to better performance across the board as it is GREAT with certain headphones, but is better as a pre amp as it cannot push all mid to low Ω phones to their best.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #2,008 of 2,090
Well i have always heard that it is better to keep the pre amp volume high and then let the final amp determine the volume. But when using my C2C i try to keep the amp3 relatively low so that i can turn up my c2c to above 9 o clock and get past the channel imbalances.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #2,009 of 2,090
That also makes sense, however it will introduce more hiss from the AMP3 into the signal if the pre amp volume is much lower. That way, the final amp will pick up the dirty parts of the pre-amp signal much more. If, however, hiss isn't something that bothers you, by all means, keep it low.

Again, waiting my DT880 from the doc - when they arrive, I will be tying the AMP3 Pro into dual-stereo setup for balanced amping of the DT880 just for fun - very interested to see how double the power affects the sound with the 600Ω tonnes of love phones.

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #2,010 of 2,090
What is the hookup sequence in using the Amp3 as a preamp, and what cables do you need? Source>Amp3>Amp (using the amp to control volume, etc.?)? Want to try, but need to get an amp (other than Amp3) first. Just curious. My amp usage is limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back