Amp upgrade
Jan 17, 2011 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

intox

New Head-Fier
Hi.
I know there's many threads about amps for HD650 but I have a Musical Fidelity V-Can with my HD650 and SR125i and I'm thinking about buying a better desktop amp but how many do I need to spend to hear a noticeable improvement ? Are the Creek OBH21SE (400€) or the Musical Fidelity X-Can V8p (380€) good enough or should I save up money to buy a better amp than the 2 I've mentioned ?
I don't need an amp/dac combo and I prefer not having a DIY amp.
I'm looking for a balanced amp : not too bright and forward because of the Sr125i but not too smooth and bassy either because of the HD650 :)

My source is a Cambridge DacMagic with a Rotel RCD-02 CD Player and I mostly listen to rock music.

Thanks

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 8
No one can help me ?
I need some advice please. Should I keep my current V-can or should I upgrade for a 300€-400€ amp like Creek OBH21SE, X-Can V8 or a Little Dot MKV or save up some money for a higher end amp like the Meier Concerto (500€-600€) ?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 8
There are so many amps that you could choose from. HD650 is an audiophile headphone that requires serious amplification. WooAudio amps must be one on your list.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
There are so many amps that you could choose from. HD650 is an audiophile headphone that requires serious amplification. WooAudio amps must be one on your list.
biggrin.gif

X2
Hd650 will scale very well going to better amp.
WooAudio Wa6 is a good match. Some other prefer the Burson Ha160 (a bit more bright).
Another amp that you could consider is the CEC HD53N (balanced and unbalanced) but is more expensive.

I don't know the Creek, but the X-Can V8p was not a good match for my taste... trying to explain better: the hd650 plugged in the V8p was so "normal", then plugged into the wa6 was singing.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 8
I've read a lot about Burston HA160 , WooAudio WA6, Lehmann BCL, ... but I'd rather not to spend more than 250€ (340$) for an amp.

I've found a used Gilmore Lite (220€) or a Graham Slee Novo (170€).
Do both of them driver the HD650 or a lower impedance can like a SR225i well ? Which one is better ? I have not much experience with amp (I'm currently listening to them with the HPout of my loudspeaker amp or my mf v-can). A quite neutral amp would be great which will give my HD650 a bit more punch. I'm not very demanding : I'm just looking for an amp which will drive the hd650 quite well. I mostly listen to rock music.

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Bump.
Which amp should I buy between Graham Slee Novo or Gilmore Lite to drive high impedance cans (HD650, DT880 600ohm, ...) ? I just want a cheap (< 250€) and powerful amp to drive them.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 8

You're not likely to get many replies to the "which x should I buy" questions here. Most of the knowledgable hf'ers are happy to share impressions and information so you can make your own decisions on what to buy. You can find a lot of detailed information on those amps driving those cans if you search the threads, I know because I recently did when I was considering the G-lite.

I can't compare the two, I've never heard the Graham. I can say that the G-lite will easily drive the 650's and from my listening and other reports it matches well with Grados. Many report this Grado synergy. It's a very clear and strong little amp. On it's own merit I don't hesitate to recommend it... But I'm probably not one of those knowledgable guys I spoke of. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back