Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Apr 20, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #287 of 391
Ok so I picked up a Benchmark DAC2 HGC to go with my Fostex TH900.  I must say that this is a great pairing.  The DAC2 is more than powerful enough to drive the TH-900 which has low requirements to run in the first place.  Due to the warmth of the TH900 the sound is superb.  
Listening to Michael Buble "Feeling Good" sounds deep and enriching.
Listening to Zedd Clarity is phenomenal.  Separation of sounds is fantastic.  I never could listen to that whole CD until now.
Boston Greatest hits including "Higher Power" song guitar sounds so dang clear.  Not sure how to describe it.
Beck's Album Morning Phase sounds clear, nothing impressive but I have only listened to a couple songs
Wow I have to say "Dead can Dance" Album all sounds great but listen to the hang drum on the song "Anabasis"  = Turn it up a little more than normal and listen.  Wow

After I listen to the DAC2 for a few more weeks I'll post some more impressions after the honeymoon phase wears off.

Apr 24, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #288 of 391
I hust recently decided to acquire the fostex th-900 and it is on its way, but now I'm figuring out what to pair with it, and I was thinking of waiting till its arrival to then bring it around and compare different amplifiers with it...

I'm currently considering schiit, woo audio, auralic. Any more to add? The bakoon burson is not really worth it for the prices they go for here.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #289 of 391
I hust recently decided to acquire the fostex th-900 and it is on its way, but now I'm figuring out what to pair with it, and I was thinking of waiting till its arrival to then bring it around and compare different amplifiers with it...

I'm currently considering schiit, woo audio, auralic. Any more to add? The bakoon burson is not really worth it for the prices they go for here.

I have been listening to the Peachtree Audio Decco65 integrated amp (as a headphone amplifier) since January.  I got it as a closeout special so it was cheapter than getting a Schitt Dac and Amp together.  I think it sounds wonderful, full, fantastic...

I heard Auralic at a headphone meet last month.  Great piece of kit.  Fits the TH900 well.  The Auralic owner didn't expect to like the TH900 as much as he did.  But he liked the sound.  He said he had to pay taxes, so wasn't going to be able to pick up a pair anytime soon.

I also have a Unison Research SH on order that I am looking forward to many hours with.  I heard this amp at the headphone meet as well.

Just some thoughts on stuff to research.

Apr 28, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #290 of 391
The only thing I can offer is that I am using the Woo WA7 with the TH900's and the pairing is growing on me.  I only use the amp side of the Woo as I have a separate DAC I prefer.  I've been a fan of the Woo since I bought it quite a while back.  

Have been listening to the TH900's every evening for almost a week now.  The cans are growing on me.  I found them a bit peaky at first and it felt like the low end was bleeding into the lower mids a bit...kind of muddy there, but I must be making the mental burn-in adjustment because they are coming into their own nicely with more hours on them.

Listening mostly to guitar based music, although some electronica and a bit of pop type stuff for sport to get the bass thump.

Pretty happy thus far.  It's early, but for reference I was listening primarily to electrostats before.

HS

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #293 of 391
I loved the look of the wa7, but went with wa6 because I wanted a separate DAC. So, now I'm actively looking for something that will have great synergy with my Fostex. I'll check into that, thanks!!

My list so far:

Arcam irDac
Yggy
Hugo (like being transportable)
Emotiva
Possibly gungir (bottom of list)

Still growing though.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #294 of 391
I loved the look of the wa7, but went with wa6 because I wanted a separate DAC. So, now I'm actively looking for something that will have great synergy with my Fostex. I'll check into that, thanks!!

My list so far:

Arcam irDac
Yggy
Hugo (like being transportable)
Emotiva
Possibly gungir (bottom of list)

Still growing though.

I placed an order for the Yggy but it'll be a few months out, I figure.

HS

May 15, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #296 of 391
I am currently using a NAD D1050 DAC and a Beyerdynamic A1 amp with my TH-900s. The pairing is unusual, but the setup is for my T1s, for which it makes perfect sense. 

I had originally hoped to just use the built in amp from the NAD for the 900's, as they are sensitive enough that this should work well in theory, but in practice the difference from the A1 was very obvious. First time I got such a first-hand demonstration of flabby bass vs. tight bass control.

The idea of getting an amp specifically designed for the 900's, or trying out something entirely different like a tube amp appeals to me, but honestly I doubt I will see any significant returns. For a while I entertained the idea of a WA7 or a HP-8A, but from the discussion here it seems that the DAC in the WA7 is a bit weak, and the amp in the HP-8A is not quite all that.

I a few months I will be in the bay area again, so perhaps I should try to go to a meet and try out some combos? Can't seem to find a reseller of either Woo or high-end Fostex gear neat SF.

Thanks guys, keep the rewievs coming!

May 15, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #297 of 391
Hi there. I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with the TH900's and the Project Ember amp?  I am about to make a good sized leap from the V-Moda M100's(which i still love) and a few others to the TH900 and my current amp is the Project Ember.  Ive got about 6 different tubes for it and each one seems to have pretty distinct sound differences. I dont EQ any of my music I let the tube do the work for me  :)  but i will if i have to.  I listen to just about everything but Country music.  Thank you for the help :)

May 24, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #298 of 391
Regarding my TH900, I read here earlier that one of the common ways to improve the Bakoon 5210 gain potentiometer resolution was to limit the DAC output volume. Is there any noticeable impact to the SQ doing it this way?  I am waiting for the amp delivery and have been thinking about this...

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #299 of 391
  I am currently using a NAD D1050 DAC and a Beyerdynamic A1 amp with my TH-900s. The pairing is unusual, but the setup is for my T1s, for which it makes perfect sense. 

I had originally hoped to just use the built in amp from the NAD for the 900's, as they are sensitive enough that this should work well in theory, but in practice the difference from the A1 was very obvious. First time I got such a first-hand demonstration of flabby bass vs. tight bass control.

The idea of getting an amp specifically designed for the 900's, or trying out something entirely different like a tube amp appeals to me, but honestly I doubt I will see any significant returns. For a while I entertained the idea of a WA7 or a HP-8A, but from the discussion here it seems that the DAC in the WA7 is a bit weak, and the amp in the HP-8A is not quite all that.

I a few months I will be in the bay area again, so perhaps I should try to go to a meet and try out some combos? Can't seem to find a reseller of either Woo or high-end Fostex gear neat SF.

Thanks guys, keep the rewievs coming!

audiovisionsf.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back