Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Jan 26, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #271 of 391
Oppo's response:

"Balanced headphone outputs allow for four times the amplification. This is why we you can get much more power out of a balanced output than a single ended output."

Translation: it's not a mistake, we meant it to be that way.

Probably because power, P=V2/R and a balanced connection is twice the unbalanced voltage, or Pb=(2*Vu)2/R = Pb=4*(Vu)2/R, or 4X the power.  Assuming there is no current limiting.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #272 of 391
I think it has as much to do with the internal architecture (whether it's fully balanced or not). E.G., the Schiit Ragnarok which features both 4pin xlr balanced and single ended outputs has the same power output regardless of the connection type.

To be clear, the Oppo HA-1 is fully balanced.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #273 of 391
It has normally more to do with current limitation... Except for inherently balanced topologies (I think the Ragnarok uses one of these, so that case may be different) when using 2 amps per channel each one sees only half the load. With no current limitation that will amount to 4x power...

Nevertheless I still don't understand the obsession with power... yes, a certain amount is necessary (normally a factor of 1:8 sustained vs. peak) to reproduce music without compression, but that is it... for my listening level below 90dB I don't need 2W/channel... whats the sensitivity of the TH900? I remember something around 94dB @1mW. I'm absolutely shure if the TH900 were in need of power to show their best, Fostex would have made the A8 put out more. Its their flagship combo, they won't take shortcuts on that.

Jan 27, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #274 of 391
Agree.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #276 of 391
Meh. If I didn't hear the HP-A8C a/b'd with the Burson conductor (aka a big power difference), I might be inclined to agree that 700mW was good enough. A lot of folks like the Bakoon hpa-21 with the th900's, a pairing that produces slightly more than the Fostex (I believe it's just over 1w @32 ohms). At the end of the day, the th900's are rated to take over twice what the hp-a8c puts out. It's no crime to feed 'em more juice.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #277 of 391
Meh. If I didn't hear the HP-A8C a/b'd with the Burson conductor (aka a big power difference), I might be inclined to agree that 700mW was good enough. A lot of folks like the Bakoon hpa-21 with the th900's, a pairing that produces slightly more than the Fostex (I believe it's just over 1w @32 ohms). At the end of the day, the th900's are rated to take over twice what the hp-a8c puts out. It's no crime to feed 'em more juice.

The comment was on addressing a topic we were not supposed to be discussed. The mids with th900. Course I have no issues listening to the chord Hugo which is warmer and puts out 600 mw at 32 ohms or the hpa8 which is about the same. The power of the hugo is plenty animal to power the th900 to bliss as is the a8 however the a8 pairing is by no accident. Fostex knew what they were doing and pushed the mids and highs a tinge to get that audio bliss out of the th900. granted for me I'll take either amp and im sure a more powerful amp adds it's own flavour...

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #278 of 391
Hmmn... I've no idea what you're on about, I'm not talking about recessed mids in the th900. Yes, they exist. No, I don't really care.

That said, I own, and have owned the HP-A8C for more than a year. I'm quite familiar with it, and it's pairing with the th900's. If you like that pairing; if you find that pairing to be perfect - more power to you (pun, unintention - but funny as hell)!

That said, I'll pick up something with a little more back-end.

Feb 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #279 of 391
Sorry I thought you were commenting on the thread, tie back to th900 thread, as opposed to just a one off statement about more power. And who could disagree with that.
I don't care either about the mids in the th900.
Since I have only heard the hugo and a8 I cannot say what is a perfect pairing.
In the context of the thread, and a few posters have agreed, and I have done the back and forth between the Hugo and the a8, from a sound stage and characteristic perspective I totally get the desighn pairing of the a8 and the 900. Cheers.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #280 of 391
HI 2gether,

I am new in this forum.
I have a FostexTH900 and operate it well in a Ifi Micro Idsd. I am verry enjoyed about this kombination. I checked the TH900 with some other amps(like lehmann, hdvd800 ect.), but this setup i prefere. The little Ifi have can control the fostex all the time.
Cu

Maldix:beyersmile:

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #282 of 391
the analog square paper TU-05 is a very good match with the TH-900, and fun for tube rolling.  

This can make a sexy 'transportable' set-up 
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #285 of 391

Users who are viewing this thread

Back