Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Mar 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #556 of 1,285
Quote:
Hi all,

I just put in an order for my LCD-3's.  I heard them at Canjam at RMAF in October, and they've been on my mind ever since.  I did the best, longest "sleep on it" job I could do, saved up the funds, and ordered the headphones.  This, from a HiFi guy who is purely into speaker setups, and who was previously biased against headphones.  These LCD's seem like just the ticket in terms of delivering tonality on a level that good speakers do.

Next step...amp!  Based on what I heard at Canjam - these are not the world's pickiest headphones.  They sounded fantastic out of the Soloist, Mjolnir and WA22 that I listened to - with the Mjolnir being a slight step behind the other 2, and the WA22 focusing more on depth of texture whereas the Soloist had a slightly thinned out but detailed/refined tonality to it (compared to the Woo).  While I like both presentations - I'm leaning towards the Woo side.  My plan is to break in my headphones over a couple of weeks, and then bring them to the Montreal audio show's Canjam in late March to determine my amp.

I have a question though...and that's how to best integrate my vinyl setup into the system.  I'm currently using the phono stage that's integral to my Shindo preamp as my phono stage.  Given that it's orders of magnitude better than most separate phono stages out there, I'd like to use it for headphone listening as well.  Of course, headphone amps all have integrated preamps...so...Is it a bad thing to drive a headphone amp with a signal from a preamp rather than directly from a source?  I have a good DAC to drive the headamp directly - so it's just a question of the phono, where I would be using a pre-amp'd signal.

Any help is appreciated...and I can't wait to start using my LCD3's!

I had the same issues. For my main rig I went the integrated path. I use a rogue audio Tempest III tube amp. Very nice setup with a very good headphone amp. I had it at the Charlotte meet a few weeks ago and it made a very good impression. Unfortunately now I think the closest you can get to it from Rogue audio is the Athena which I believe is about a grand more. You can get the integrated phono I believe but I have it paired with a PS Audio GCPH.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #557 of 1,285
Quote:

Thanks for the update Uncle... I currently have the Gungnir/Mjolnir/LCD-2s. I have ordered my LCD-3s; they are on the way. I am hoping this is a nice noticeable improvement on an already excellent rig.

Start to think about selling the LCD-2s.  When you get the 3s - the 2s wont get to much more head time.  Yes, it was a noticeable difference in a positive way for me.  Thus the 2s got sold.  It helps to buffer that 2K price as well.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #558 of 1,285
Quote:
LionTamer, this is the age-old conundrum.

how to get a headphone rig to be either parallel with a good 2-channel rig, or integrated seamlessly therein.

the truth is, with the traditional TT / preamp / mono blocks rig, there's nowhere for a headphone amp to fit in without much compication - switching boxes, splitters, etc.
and we audiophiles would worry endlessly about signal loss, etc. with those kinds of things...

so, i have gone the route of separate rig for headphones.
which of course means another source, cables, and anciliaries.

another option would be an integrated amp with headphone jack.
but, that is a compromise, both to the speakers being driven, and to the headphones as well.
something like a Leben would be nice enough.  but i'm sure preamp/monoblocks is considerably better...

congrats on pulling the trigger on the LCD-3s.
beyersmile.png

There are a couple of easy ways. 
1. Most high end DACs or CD players have XLR and RCA outputs. Just use the best cables you can afford with 1 set going to the headphone amp, and the other to a preamp.
2. An even cleaner solution is to get top notch headphone amp that's also a state of the art preamp, like I do with an Apex Pinnacle.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #559 of 1,285
Quote:

Start to think about selling the LCD-2s.  When you get the 3s - the 2s wont get to much more head time.  Yes, it was a noticeable difference in a positive way for me.  Thus the 2s got sold.  It helps to buffer that 2K price as well.

X2 for me. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #560 of 1,285
Quote:

Just sold my LCD 2 too. LCD 3 is just straight better, in every possible way.

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #561 of 1,285
Lots of excellent information from the LCD experts - many thanks for that!

I'm quite happy with my Shindo/VTL pre and amp combo for my speakers, so have no intention to do anything that alters that recipe.  I'm not looking for a new preamp or integrated amp for my "alpha" system - I'm looking for the best ways to maximize the investment I already have in it.  It's easy to integrate my DAC - I just unplug it from the preamp and plug it directly into the headphone amp.

That said - a separate headphone amp would be ideal (ie without an integrated pre section), as I doubt that the pre section in any of these amps will improve upon what I already have - but those don't seem to exist.

I do like the idea of the Zen Taboo - thanks for that suggestion gjc!  In looking at the specs, it's a bit hard to figure out what the input impedance is, though I *think* that the schematic indicates 100kohm (which would be ideal).

I am a bit apprehensive about ordering an amp that I've never heard - I've heard and liked the Woo amps.  Has anybody heard both the Taboo and either the Woo 6se or 22?  Also, in looking at the CSP2 preamp by Decware - it seems to have variable output voltage, designed to reduce the output when sent into something like the Taboo which has some level of preamp integrated into it...the Taboo might not really be any better with a standard preamp than any other headphone amp?

As an FYI - Jack at Woo suggested that I can use my preamp into the Woo amp for LP listening, and it will work as long as the pre outputs less than 3 volts.  That's a compromised solution that would apply only to my LP listening due to the need for a phono input.  But it might be a solution that's no different really from using a pre in front of the Taboo?

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #562 of 1,285
It seems the LCD-3 has changed quite a bit from a year ago. Now it's stable and unveiled, and there are actually affordable amps and dacs.
tongue_smile.gif

I am very happy with my LCD-2 R. 2 and V200 and Rega. I enjoy the warm, vinyl-like sound it gives. When I listen, though, I wonder sometimes what I am missing...or what I could be hearing from the LCD-3. I reminded of this primarily with the LCD-2's soundstage. So I have a few questions:

1. I remember people saying the V200 was not good with the LCD-3. Has that changed? Could a LCD-3 work with my Rega? I honestly have no clue.
confused.gif

2. As for the Mjolnir, it is the same in quality as the V200 but more aggressive. I can't picture it in my head, the aggressive sound compared to the laid-backness I currently have. Is there a way I could hear a hint of what it wound sound like before I purchase?

3. If I put more money in after I sell my V200 & Rega, what am I looking at that would be better than the Mjolnir & Gungnir, up to $1500 each? I ask because I hear the Gungnir is not as good as the Mjolnir, and the Mjolnir could possibly be too mean for me.

I DON'T LIKE HARSH TREBLE! My LCD-2 sometimes gets me agitated because of that...probably because of the song itself. I also really, really love the heavy bass of the LCD-2. The heaviness of the headphone as a whole is awesome.
wink_face.gif

Thank you for your help with my inquiry. -Joseph

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #563 of 1,285
I bought a LCD3, and really don't know whart to take.
DAC+AMP our DAC/AMP:
With my research i found Schiit MAGNIR+MOLJNIR or Audio-GD 27, what do you think or if you have a better option?
I am listening Rock/Hard Rock/Post Rock.
My budget is 1200$
Ty

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #564 of 1,285
So, what is the best solid state amp for LCD-3? I only listen to heavy music like black/viking/death/doom metal. Currently I am driving my LCD-3's from the built-in amp in my Eximus DP1 DAC and I am looking for something that will really make a big difference.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #565 of 1,285
Quote:
So, what is the best solid state amp for LCD-3? I only listen to heavy music like black/viking/death/doom metal. Currently I am driving my LCD-3's from the built-in amp in my Eximus DP1 DAC and I am looking for something that will really make a big difference.

GS-X. Love it. Best amp (SS or tube) that I've heard with my LCD-3s (and HD800/TH-900). I'm more of an old school metal fan like Sabbath and Metallica and just love the pairing.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #566 of 1,285
Quote:
GS-X. Love it. Best amp (SS or tube) that I've heard with my LCD-3s (and HD800/TH-900). I'm more of an old school metal fan like Sabbath and Metallica and just love the pairing.

What about the RSA DarkStar? Have you tried it?

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #569 of 1,285
Quote:
Sorry what does this mean?

I assumed it meant that he wants amp recommendations for an LCD-3 with a 4-pin XLR cable ("one exit", as opposed to the "two exits" of dual 3-pin XLRs). Is that correct, zekioflo?

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #570 of 1,285
Quote:
And one With only one exit XLR for the LCD3?

Quote:
Sorry what does this mean?

Quote:
I assumed it meant that he wants amp recommendations for an LCD-3 with a 4-pin XLR cable ("one exit", as opposed to the "two exits" of dual 3-pin XLRs). Is that correct, zekioflo?

Here are two outputs one XLR 4-pin and one single ended. Is this what you mean minus the single?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back