Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #406 of 1,285
Frank thanks for tip. I have not hear Violectric unfortunately, I know many like it with LCDx. But I have also read that V200 is darker and Audeze is also darker at least my version rev1 (rev2 would be better for me probably). And if Mjolnir is one of the most nature-agressive amp I think it is safer to think it would be better combo for Audeze..but I just thinking.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #407 of 1,285
If I was in the market for a V200, I'd just pick up the M3.  Cost less and can have higher part quality.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #408 of 1,285
@ Knopi.

The Mjolnir will most probably be the relative right choice for you amongst the three (Mjolnir, V200 and Soloist).

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #409 of 1,285
It looks like the Mjolnir is only balanced in and balanced out, is that correct? That is what they seem to be indicating on the Schiit website.

But, if that's the case, what are the unbalanced inputs on the rear panel for?

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #410 of 1,285
Balanced or single ended in... only balanced out... ever.  Adapters will blow the protection circuit.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #411 of 1,285
Quote:
Balanced or single ended in... only balanced out... ever.  Adapters will blow the protection circuit.

Cool... Thanks. What exactly is this quoted text taken directly from Schiit's website talking about?

"You won’t find any balanced-to-single-ended conversion or vice-versa in Mjolnir. It’s balanced in and balanced out, with a 4-gang RK27 Alps volume pot--providing end-game performance for a mid-level price."

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #412 of 1,285
Schiit uses 4 independent wires in it's balanced output to the headphones. (You can convert Single Ended output amps, which is three wires, to balanced connectors but the ground is shared. Schiit doesn't to that.). That's all that means.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #414 of 1,285
Quote:
"You won’t find any balanced-to-single-ended conversion or vice-versa in Mjolnir. It’s balanced in and balanced out, with a 4-gang RK27 Alps volume pot--providing end-game performance for a mid-level price."

It's a jab at other companies that sell balanced amps that at some point from input to output are single ended.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #415 of 1,285
Much appreciate the input folks. It looks like I'll be going with the Soloist. I listen to a little of everything, but definitely my preference is more towards jazz, acoustic and vocal. Based on what I've read so far, the Soloist should the better match for my listening habits.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #416 of 1,285
Quote:
OK... Mjolnir and Soloist will cost me roughly the same amount, which should I choose to go with my LCD-3? And, does Bifrost work with Mjolnir? What I mean is, will unbalanced into the amp and then balanced out to the headphones work?

Ignoring the aspect of sound (which has already been covered), you should get the amp that has the feature set you want, for the headphones that you intend on using. And by that, I mean you should try to "future-proof" your setup - the Mjolnir makes more sense for an all-balanced system, while the Soloist makes more sense for an unbalanced one. And since the Mjolnir will drive only balanced headphones, if you ever plan on acquiring more headphones, those will need to be balanced as well. Only saying that because most Head-Fiers inevitably end up with more than one headphone.
wink.gif
Contrasting with the Soloist, which you'd be able to use any dynamic headphones on without needing to re-cable.

Although you can use the Mjolnir on an unbalanced source, it's really ideal to use it on a balanced one, like the Schiit Gungnir, so you get the full benefit of "balanced" from source to headphones.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #417 of 1,285
Everything is leaning towards buying the Mjolnir and a nicer DAC but whenever i see deals i find it hard not to consider them
frown.gif

There is a LF on Head-fi for 2000$ and a GS-X for around 1800. The LF is really tempting but almost everyone seems to think that the MJ and LCD-3 sound great together.

If money wasn't a question would most you buy the LF (however, Macedonian leans in favor of the GS-X) at that price? Or do you think it would really just be my best bet to stop looking at amps and settle with the MJ. The thing is, I won't be returning home until June so i have until then to decide (maybe more info on the statement by then) on what i want to settle with.

Sorry if i'm being redundant with my questions. I just want to get as good a grasp on this gear as i can without being able to demo it.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #418 of 1,285
Quote:

Ignoring the aspect of sound (which has already been covered), you should get the amp that has the feature set you want, for the headphones that you intend on using. And by that, I mean you should try to "future-proof" your setup - the Mjolnir makes more sense for an all-balanced system, while the Soloist makes more sense for an unbalanced one. And since the Mjolnir will drive only balanced headphones, if you ever plan on acquiring more headphones, those will need to be balanced as well. Only saying that because most Head-Fiers inevitably end up with more than one headphone.
wink.gif
Contrasting with the Soloist, which you'd be able to use any dynamic headphones on without needing to re-cable.

Although you can use the Mjolnir on an unbalanced source, it's really ideal to use it on a balanced one, like the Schiit Gungnir, so you get the full benefit of "balanced" from source to headphones.

Thanks for the comments! I have already decided on the Soloist due to my listening preferences, but these are certainly more great arguments to add in favor of the Soloist. Balanced output was never a priority for me anyway.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #419 of 1,285
I have a long list of amps I prefer to the LF with the LCD-3.  And all of them cost less so um ya. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #420 of 1,285
Quote:
If money wasn't a question would most you buy the LF (however, Macedonian leans in favor of the GS-X) at that price? Or do you think it would really just be my best bet to stop looking at amps and settle with the MJ. The thing is, I won't be returning home until June so i have until then to decide (maybe more info on the statement by then) on what i want to settle with.

Will you be using the amp only with the LCD-3? If so, I'd pick the Mjolnir over the LF. If you're planning to mix in an HD800, T1 or similar headphone, then the LF becomes the better option IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back