Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Feb 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #392 of 1,285
tongue_smile.gif
He just went there....

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #394 of 1,285
Quote:
Why don't you wait and find out for yourself? If anything, reading through this thread should teach you just how subjective this hobby is
and that there's not always, if ever a general consensus.

Many of of us may dispel the HA160, however I think it would be more prudent for you to holdout any judgement based upon any one 
of our opinions.

With that said, I vote upgrade the HA160 to which ever amp you choose. 
tongue.gif

And again, I'll hammer it home, stop agonizing over the gear and the decision process and just decide so you can enjoy. 
biggrin.gif

X2

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #395 of 1,285
Thanks for the input folks. The problem is, I don't really have a basis for comparison. The HA160 is the first and only desk top amp that I've owned. And, not too many places to audition headphone amps in my neck of the woods. I am fairly new to headphone audio, so there you go...

Solude, with respect, I don't really care so much how the amp measures. I'm more concerned with how it sounds. You seem to dog the HA160 simply because it doesn't measure as well as some other amps. Bottom line, if we are being honest, how many people could consistently pick out the HA160 versus say the Soloist in a blind test?

Feb 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #396 of 1,285
Everyone :p  Remember I owned the HA-160D for a long long time.  It's a good mid-fi amp that is more buffer than amp since it caps out at a little over 2V and about 100mW into the LCD-3.  Which technically means it has less voltage swing than the DAC I have now /facepalm

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #398 of 1,285
OK... Mjolnir and Soloist will cost me roughly the same amount, which should I choose to go with my LCD-3? And, does Bifrost work with Mjolnir? What I mean is, will unbalanced into the amp and then balanced out to the headphones work?

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #400 of 1,285
Feb 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #401 of 1,285
Quote:
OK... Mjolnir and Soloist will cost me roughly the same amount, which should I choose to go with my LCD-3? And, does Bifrost work with Mjolnir? What I mean is, will unbalanced into the amp and then balanced out to the headphones work?

When I had them both...

LCD-2 - Soloist because the LCD-2 is more alive of the two
LCD-3 - Mjolnir to counter the LCD-3 more laid back nature

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #402 of 1,285
Pick either. Mjolnir is more aggressive. Soloist is more laid back. I only feel Mjolnir has more dynamics.

Other than that, do you want an in your face presentation, or a relaxed easy going presentation.

Oh, the agony of choice. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #403 of 1,285
That is bad info solude and paradoxer. I look for Mjolnir for a good price from second hand but I want agressive-energy amp which will be also normal laid back not in face. So Mjolnir is not the best option with my requirements..? But I always thought overal quality, depth soundstage, no vocals in face, natural tones etc..decides mainly source and hp..

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #404 of 1,285
Quote:
That is bad info solude and paradoxer. I look for Mjolnir for a good price from second hand but I want agressive-energy amp which will be also normal laid back not in face. So Mjolnir is not the best option with my requirements..? But I always thought quality of depth soundstage, no vocals in face..decides mainly source and hp..

The V200 is excellent with the LCD2. I am using that amp and find the synergy excellent.   The musicality and synergy of the V200 and the LCD2 makes me forget the electronics and just enjoy the music. Very black background and it works well. It is also excellent with the hE500 and the   HD800 and AT3000anv. I also reviewed it with the NBeyer T1.It will work we'll with all those flagships and  satisfy most people IMO.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #405 of 1,285
Quote:
That is bad info solude and paradoxer. I look for Mjolnir for a good price from second hand but I want agressive-energy amp which will be also normal laid back not in face. So Mjolnir is not the best option with my requirements..? But I always thought quality of depth soundstage, no vocals in face..decides mainly source and hp..

You can either have aggressive or laid back presentation, but you can't have both.

And this is where lack of experience bites you. You may hear aggressive and think harsh/grainy/fatiguing, but it's not. 
The aggressive nature makes for a energetic type of presentation, not necessarily in your face. 
I think it is Mjolnir 1a : Soloist 1b and vice versa. 

To be fair, there aren't really many aggressive amps on the market, so it may be hard to figure out if you'd like it or not without hearing it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back