Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Jun 18, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,188 of 1,285
If there was not other issues other than flat, but not rolled off sound, to me it is not a problem. I like neutral sounding gear. With such amp (O2 good example) , I'm using WST plugin SPL Twin Tube. So I can to "season" the sound to my taste. I dropped my eye to LG due to it ability to be fine tuned by selection of tubes. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #1,189 of 1,285
Hi.  This thread still seems reasonably active, so I thought I'd ask a question.  

I have some new LCD3Fs (burned in now), and my amp is an EF6.  Upstream it's a Naim DAC V1 and a laptop.  

I've been a little underwhelmed by the LCD3s: generally I like their signature, but in my current set up they're sounding a bit 'treacly' and 'flabby' (best words I can find).  Not really very dynamic, a bit flat.  

I've had planars before, so I don't think it's a dynamic vs planar issue.  I currently also have HD800s and K812s.  I appreciate that the LCD3 isn't going to have the same precision / definition that the HD800s have, but I do miss some of the details and crispness.  

I'm wondering whether this is an amp problem: my understanding is that the EF6 is a warmer SS amp.

If so, am I likely to have a better experience with the Soloist or Mjolnir (at the slightly less expensive end of the price spectrum), or the Taurus, Ragnarok or V281?  Would any of those be a better match? 

Any thoughts appreciated.  

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,190 of 1,285
  Hi.  This thread still seems reasonably active, so I thought I'd ask a question.  

I have some new LCD3Fs (burned in now), and my amp is an EF6.  Upstream it's a Naim DAC V1 and a laptop.  

I've been a little underwhelmed by the LCD3s: generally I like their signature, but in my current set up they're sounding a bit 'treacly' and 'flabby' (best words I can find).  Not really very dynamic, a bit flat.  

I've had planars before, so I don't think it's a dynamic vs planar issue.  I currently also have HD800s and K812s.  I appreciate that the LCD3 isn't going to have the same precision / definition that the HD800s have, but I do miss some of the details and crispness.  

I'm wondering whether this is an amp problem: my understanding is that the EF6 is a warmer SS amp.

If so, am I likely to have a better experience with the Soloist or Mjolnir (at the slightly less expensive end of the price spectrum), or the Taurus, Ragnarok or V281?  Would any of those be a better match? 

Any thoughts appreciated.  

I used to think the same about my LCD 3's. I started with the soloist and a Schitt Gungir DAC and wasn't blown away with the quality or the headphones just thought yea this is good but not amazing. Then went to the Schiit Mjolnir as I thought the pairing between the Gungnir and Mjolnir might help bring out the best in the 3's. This set up still left me wanting more, The sound was still not quite right for me.

After having those for a few months i started looking at the Ragnarock / Auralic and purchased the Auralic Taurus Mk II and have got say it was the single biggest improvement of sound I have ever heard (second was going from LCD 2 to the 3s) Was really surprised just how much more the Taurus brought the 3's to life in every aspect.

Am now deciding between upgrading my DAC to the Vega or Yggy but thats still a little way away :wink: my wallet need recovery time audiophilia is an expensive addiction. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,191 of 1,285
Thanks for the info, very helpful.  This evening I read a tonne of reviews and posts on the Net, and came to the conclusion that the Mjolnir is the best way forward.  It seems to wake the LCD3s up, making them more energetic and dynamic.  

What were your reservations about the Mjolnir?  You say that the sound wasn't quite right?  I'm trying to gauge where the improvements with the Taurus were, and how substantial.  In the UK the Mjolnir is around £695 but the Taurus is £1500, so there's a fairly big price difference there (on the topic of expensive addictions.....).    

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,192 of 1,285
  Thanks for the info, very helpful.  This evening I read a tonne of reviews and posts on the Net, and came to the conclusion that the Mjolnir is the best way forward.  It seems to wake the LCD3s up, making them more energetic and dynamic.  

What were your reservations about the Mjolnir?  You say that the sound wasn't quite right?  I'm trying to gauge where the improvements with the Taurus were, and how substantial.  In the UK the Mjolnir is around £695 but the Taurus is £1500, so there's a fairly big price difference there (on the topic of expensive addictions.....).    

In my country we can get the Mjolnir for $1100 and the Auralic Taurus MK II is about $3000 so its almost 3 times the price, A very large step up and it was my first piece of "End Game" gear so I was worried sick that i may have wasted all that money and what if it ends up being worse? It was a stressful few days waiting for it to arrive but man I am happy I made this purchase.

The Schitt Mjolnir has an energetic sound and really brings you closer to the music, I just foundd the high end to be a little too thin\harsh (Hard to explain but almost fatiguing?) The Taurus MKII takes you right to front stage, at times even in the arms of the artists them selves. You feel so close that its almost intimate, across the whole spectrum the sound is more detailed and has more body (massive improvement on bass) i just felt like it lifted a veil on the music and took me one step closer.

I found my self re listening to all my favorite songs and it was like listening for the first time, i heard and felt things i never heard before like in one of Sam Smiths songs there is a chorus and it wasn't until I got the Taurus that I could now pinpoint everyone of the 3 guys who were supporting. I know other peoples experiences may vary but in my situation the Taurus is a perfect amp for my taste, Very transparent and revealing, I feel now the last thing in my stack that isn't end game is my DAC and wonder how much more its holding back? Will replacing it lift another Veil? All the while i listen to the cries from my wallet in the corner as it gives me a sad face.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,193 of 1,285
I empathise with your wallet, mine feels the same way.  Never mind the increasingly puzzled looks on my wife's face as one set of headphones arrives and another is packaged up to be sold.  I suspect she'll have me certified before too long.  

I think you've basically persuaded me that the Taurus is the way to go.  You mention a veil on the music, and that's exactly the way I feel about the LCD3s: a lack of clarity, a slight feeling that they're being muffled.  Transparent and revealing is exactly what's needed.

Many thanks for your help. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #1,194 of 1,285
  I empathise with your wallet, mine feels the same way.  Never mind the increasingly puzzled looks on my wife's face as one set of headphones arrives and another is packaged up to be sold.  I suspect she'll have me certified before too long.  

I think you've basically persuaded me that the Taurus is the way to go.  You mention a veil on the music, and that's exactly the way I feel about the LCD3s: a lack of clarity, a slight feeling that they're being muffled.  Transparent and revealing is exactly what's needed.

Many thanks for your help. 

No worries my friend, Check this thread here  "http://www.head-fi.org/t/657266/auralic-owners-unite" lots of people asking questions and posting reviews on their impressions of the Taurus.

I even remember in a thread some one mentioned the CEO of Auralic having Tuned the MkII to better suit Audeze headphones from the Mk I (will try find this reference so not 100% certain)

Heres a photo of size comparison. Auralic is rather small but packs a nice punch

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,196 of 1,285

I went for the lcd-3 & liquid glass and I'm not disappointed. You get best of both worlds with a hybrid plus all the fun of tube rolling, what's not too like?

That is one sexy looking set up.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,197 of 1,285
For now I trying with the DIY amps. Cavalli's EHHA rev A sounds just an excellent, drives LCD-3 with absolute control and confidence. Lehmann Black Cube clone - has a power, but it sounds definitely not to my taste. Still need to give a try to R.N.Marsh  amp, but probably the final step will be in direction of Cavalli Liquid Glass - if DIY EHHA just shines in all terms, possible to imagine the LG performance.
Now need to select some fine DAC... Yulong DA8 MK2, Matrix X-Sabre, or Auralic Vega. Vega is very expensive. But is it so far superior  then Yulong or Matrix ?

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #1,198 of 1,285
I have the LCD3 (non Fazor). For amps I use the Auralic Taurus mk2, and the Icon Audio HP8 mk2.
I use the Auralic with balanced silver core headphone cable, and balanced out from my DAC.

For the Icon Audio I have to use single ended. (No balanced input or output on the Icon).
It sounds excellent with both amps.
However I have spent a lot of fun time reading these forums, and I wondered if anyone can advise if I should buy the Audio-GD Master 9, or even the HE-9 version.

The Master 9 seems to get all positive comments. I have not read anything bad mentioned with regard to the sound and I understand it works well with the LCD3.
It's driving me crazy deciding what to do. How do my amps compare to the Master 9 when used with LCD3?
I have no way of listening to the Master 9 without buying it first.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #1,199 of 1,285
I have the LCD3 (non Fazor). For amps I use the Auralic Taurus mk2, and the Icon Audio HP8 mk2.
I use the Auralic with balanced silver core headphone cable, and balanced out from my DAC.

For the Icon Audio I have to use single ended. (No balanced input or output on the Icon).
It sounds excellent with both amps.
However I have spent a lot of fun time reading these forums, and I wondered if anyone can advise if I should buy the Audio-GD Master 9, or even the HE-9 version.

The Master 9 seems to get all positive comments. I have not read anything bad mentioned with regard to the sound and I understand it works well with the LCD3.
It's driving me crazy deciding what to do. How do my amps compare to the Master 9 when used with LCD3?
I have no way of listening to the Master 9 without buying it first.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

For the life of me I can't find the post, but I though the HE-9 still had some issues that King-wa was sorting out?
Was a post on head-fi...

I can say I love my LCD3 and M9 combo, but that is just IMO :) Nor have I heard your amps with the LCD3.... soo

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #1,200 of 1,285

I went for the lcd-3 & liquid glass and I'm not disappointed. You get best of both worlds with a hybrid plus all the fun of tube rolling, what's not too like?

Which tubes are you using with your LG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back