Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-3
Aug 18, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #1,201 of 1,285
For the life of me I can't find the post, but I though the HE-9 still had some issues that King-wa was sorting out?

Was a post on head-fi...

I can say I love my LCD3 and M9 combo, but that is just IMO :) Nor have I heard your amps with the LCD3.... soo

I found the post you are referring to. It is on the Audio-GD-Master-9 thread.
It seems the buyer experienced problems with the HE-9, and ended up getting a refund and buying an Eddy Current valve head amp.
Then sold his LCD3, as he preferred the HE-6. Or that is my memory of reading that thread anyway.

I have ordered the M9, so I am itching to try it with my LCD3. I will give the M9 a good burn in first though, with music playing 24 hours a day. I assume a week /175 should suffice?

The LCD3 sounds amazing with the Auralic. I expect the Master 9 will be even better or at least equal.
Need to make my mind up as I will feel guilty owning both. But I suspect I will keep the master 9 as it is even more powerful than the Auralic when driving the LCD3 in balanced mode. And I do like great dynamics, plenty of headroom for maximum realism.

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #1,202 of 1,285
I found the post you are referring to. It is on the Audio-GD-Master-9 thread.
It seems the buyer experienced problems with the HE-9, and ended up getting a refund and buying an Eddy Current valve head amp.
Then sold his LCD3, as he preferred the HE-6. Or that is my memory of reading that thread anyway.

I have ordered the M9, so I am itching to try it with my LCD3. I will give the M9 a good burn in first though, with music playing 24 hours a day. I assume a week /175 should suffice?

The LCD3 sounds amazing with the Auralic. I expect the Master 9 will be even better or at least equal.
Need to make my mind up as I will feel guilty owning both. But I suspect I will keep the master 9 as it is even more powerful than the Auralic when driving the LCD3 in balanced mode. And I do like great dynamics, plenty of headroom for maximum realism.

IME the Master 9 is transparent, dynamic and full and you will likely more hear the tonality of the rest of your gear (DAC, transport, cables) than the Master 9.  

Rich sounded gear = Rich sounded tonality

Clinical sounded gear = Clinical sounded tonality 

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #1,203 of 1,285
I currently own the alpha primes and am looking at getting the Lcd3c. With the primes I notice little to no difference going from the centrance m8 to an odac o2. I know both of those amps are designed to target a similar sound but what are other opinions out there. Are either enough to "properly" run an lcd3?

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #1,204 of 1,285
I have a question. My hi-fi shop has the Leben 300XS and the Rogue Cronus Magnum 2. I have already decided on the LCD-3 as my headphone choice but am curious as to which of these units would be a good match. I have a listening appointment already set up for next week but was curious if anyone had their own impressions on either of these amps. I don't need comparisons I was just curious as to whether anyone has recently listened to the LCD-3 with either of these amps?

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #1,205 of 1,285
I'm not sure if I'm going off-topic here by asking about portable / transportable balanced amp / DAC solutions for the LCD-3; Do any of you LCD-3 owners have an additional portable setup for your LCDs?

As I am travelling and working simultaneously (at least for the next two years), it breaks my heart that I can't aim for something like the Taurus or Woo-Audio amps (and separate DAC) immediately. Instead I must to go for something smaller that can sit beside my Macbook pro, for work and pleasure, and be put into a backpack for easy travel.

Any recommendations of good portable amp/dac balanced systems that pair with the LCD-3s appreciated. I really liked the look of the balanced RSA Intruder, but I was put off by the fact that it's usb DAC didn't do anything over 16bit. I'm a film trailer editor so I need audio playback higher than 24 bit, 48,000kHz - this is what source files usually come in at.

Currently using the original Apogee Duet, with HD-650. Buying an LCD-3F at the end of this year. Thanks!

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #1,206 of 1,285
I had the same kind of problem for the last 3year
I didn't find anything
Waiting for the liquid carbon that should be smaller but looking a video from YouTube doesn't look even so small
The smaller that I know could be the lake people 109
I have an hugo and even if the 3f sound from it the lcd deserve some better amping
Portable like rsa etc I cannot guess anything
If you have still to buy for your reason I would go for lcdX and hugo top quality

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,207 of 1,285
Hi...
Try This....
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/trusted-traveling-companion-centrance-hifi-m8-portable-headphone-ampdac#lDqgZbM2A06r8h3H.97

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,208 of 1,285
I can second the m8. I own it and use it with the primes currently and about to use it with the lcd x. I can say that it is a fantastic little combo and can hold its own against larger and more expensive units. The adjustable impendance makes it very versatile and is small with option of balanced. It is similar to the odac in that it is designed to be neutral.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #1,209 of 1,285
I'm looking to buy the LCD-3s soon and needed an amp. I was looking at the WA-6SE, but I've been reading lots of good things about the Schiit Mjolnir. I would prefer a warmer sound. Anyone have suggestions? If I were to go with the WA-6SE what tubes would work well with the LCD-3?

As for the DAC, I was looking at the Audio GD DAC 19 (10th Anniversary). Is this a good recommendation?

Would the Audio GD Master 11 work well with these headphones? This is going to be my first audiophile setup, so I'm probably not going to notice very subtle differences.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,210 of 1,285
I have a WA6-SE and also a LCD3f. The combination is fantastic with a lot of synergy! The sound is warm is very detailed. My preferred tubes are 6FD7 and also 6GL7/6EM7 . The 6FD7 has a more relaxed sound and very pleasant, while the 6GL7/6EM7 has a more energetic sound, with detailed mids a bit forward. But about Schiit ... I have not tested with lcd3f.
I hope I've helped....

Sep 8, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #1,211 of 1,285
Hey, i'm buying my lcd-3's this week, and i can't seem to find anything on the schiit lyr 2 with LISST SS "tubes" I'm trying to keep the amp/dac combo around a grand if that helps. Any good insight?

Sep 8, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #1,213 of 1,285
I've purchased the m8 from a fellow head-fi'er. Getting my LCD-3s in December and can't wait to try them! For now it'll be the m8 and the 650s. Cheers for the recommendations!

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #1,215 of 1,285
The eternal question specs vs sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back