Amp for Phonak Audeo
Apr 30, 2010 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sergio kotoulas

New Head-Fier
hello everybady
i dont speek good english (forgive me that)

i had phonak audeo PFE and made this custom
(the soundstage stage is beter, the mid range is better bat i the bass i want more powerfull)
i use gray filter. the black filter make the bass very stupid and loose high range)

what amps bay?
i looking the ibasso D2 and iBasso D4

listening music: jazz, classical, rock, new age, tiesto sunrise, pop, gothic
all is 320bbs, aac and flac

thank you for sesponding

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems like the headstage arrow would fit the bill nicely if it's available to you.

first time i see this and is very good beacouse select the leven bass!!!!
but his high price!!!

what is the button GAIN???

May 1, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sergio kotoulas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first time i see this and is very good beacouse select the leven bass!!!!
but his high price!!!

what is the button GAIN???

The gain control allows a more precise volume control depending on what type of monitor is used...low/high efficiency, low/ high impedance...low gain would most likely be used for IEM like the Phonak. The PFE likes more power than all other IEMs that I've used...might need med. gain.

May 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 9
You won't notice any difference between the PFE amped and unamped, unless the amp is one of those circuits designed to lead to more bass or what have you. With a transparent amp there will be no difference as they are more than efficient enough to be run by the amp of any dap. That's my experience anyway.

If you want an amp, something like the Arrow recommended above would give you most for your money. I haven't heard it but have read reviewers I trust implicitly state it is fantastic. Even though you won't get many sonic improvements with the amp, the adjustable bass and cross feed should give some new life into the PFE.

I agree with you about black filters by the way, in my mind they are supposed to increase bass but they decrease it's clarity, along with the clarity of the mids and treble too! Grey filters ftw :) Arrow bass boost could be good for adding more bass without losing the clarity and sparkle of the grey filters.

May 10, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 9
The Black filters don't add bass, they filter mids & treble to give the illusion of more bass. I've found the PFE to need an amp more than most IEMs that I've used.

May 11, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 9
Yeah I do realise that (how could a filter increase the volume of a part of the frequency? - I'm not stupid
wink_face.gif
) but reducing the treble and mids and increasing the bass, when it comes to balance, should mean the same thing (+ a little volume).

It doesn't though, since it muffles right across the board and ruins the PFE clarity that is their main selling point.

Personally diagree on the PFE needing an amp.

I've tried them with the D10, Predator, MK V and Cantate.2 and if there is any difference it is extremely minor, which is what you would expect from an efficient and not particuarly sensitive IEM. When I first got a portable amp I thought it did make a difference to the PFE, but after a while and some proper volume matching I realised that was placebo and confirmation bias.

The exception was the Predator, which is coloured and adds sub bass (to my ear). IMO that is why people say phones that really don't need amps improve with them - the differences they might hear would not be there if the amp was transparent. Whether colouration is an "improvement" or not is down to subjective taste.

Obviously the Cantate.2 adds cross feed, and the Arrow could do the same, which is an improvement and is why I would recommend that as an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back