Amp for my new MD-5000's
Mar 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Bizong

Head-Fier
I'll be receiving my MD-5000's in a little bit and I've since gotten enough money to order an amp to go along with them. My budget is max $700. I've never acutally owned an amp before, so I don't really know what i like. But my music preferences are heavy metal and trance.

I've heard good things about the WA-6 but then again I've heard the MD-5000's match up very well with SS amps. I just don't know which ones. I think i would like a ss amp just because of the increased life span honestly.

Any suggestion's based on this? If you need more I'll be happy to supply.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be receiving my MD-5000's in a little bit and I've since gotten enough money to order an amp to go along with them. My budget is max $700. I've never acutally owned an amp before, so I don't really know what i like. But my music preferences are heavy metal and trance.

I've heard good things about the WA-6 but then again I've heard the MD-5000's match up very well with SS amps. I just don't know which ones. I think i would like a ss amp just because of the increased life span honestly.

Any suggestion's based on this? If you need more I'll be happy to supply.

The X-CAN v8 is excellent with the MD-5000's, and other low impedance phones... though... it (US version) struggles with Senns.

The WA6 SE is also great... so... I expect the WA6 is also.

And... the MAD EAR+ HD is great with Grados... I expect its great with the low impedance MD5000's also.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 45
ok, the only thing that's really throwing me off from the tube amps is the life span. If i'm spending 700 dollars i kinda want my amp to last a good while. Although i guess 5000-9000 hours is a good while.

where would i even order a x-can v8? or would i have to get one used which isnt a problem.

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 45
Make sure to upgrade source first.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 45
You should REALLY look at the new Meier Concerto... amazing review from skylab.

Here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...ne-amp-471583/

If you put 20$ more (includes shipping btw) I really don't think you will be able to better than this amp at all. It is very sophisticaed and the specs are great. I can't wait to get one myself XD.

Good match with low impedance headphones, yet can drive even 600 ohm beyers. Again, you can't go wrong.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have an asus xonar stx. I think that's pretty sufficient no?

I think you'd be best putting some of the money into a better source. IMO, it's strange spending $700 on an amp and $200 on your source. Especially since the Denon's aren't particularly hard to drive.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 45
Idk i just feel like since i bought this soundcard i sort of wasted my money. I've heard it has a great dac chip in it already? If i'm going to upgrade my source i want a pretty big upgrade from this xonar STX as it was 200 dollars. But if it is a fairly lousy source i suppose I'll buy something around 300 dollars to replace it.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 45
You'll eventually learn that your source matters. I mean think about it man, the higher quality DAC you have the better your music will sound. If I were you I'd sell that soundcard and get a Nuforce HDP (Which has a nice DAC and a nice headphone amp built in). I know it seems like I keep mentioning that thing in every post but it sounds amazing with my Denon's. The built in headphone amp will and do power the Denon's VERY well. I own a highly modded WA6 and while at times the WA6 seems more musical it will not match the HDP headphone out in terms of clarity and detail. Personally I feel that Denon's love an SS amp and I'm sure many on this site will agree.

I'm still on the rocks of deciding if I should keep my WA6 or not but I wouldn't mind having an extra $800 in my pocket. I think the biggest reason I wanna keep the WA6 is because how damn sexy the sophia princess tube looks...

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 45
ok now i got a question. If i was to sell my soundcard. These DAC's can run by themselves just out of the usb on my computer correct? I wouldn't even actually need a soundcard in my computer? Or is there a better way of doing it.

oh wait i just remembered I also use the mic on my computer output on my soundcard alot. How would i compensate for this?

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 45
The nuforce HDP can be run from USB, it needs a discrete power supply though. However, since you're apparently using a desktop, shouldn't you be able to run your mic from your motherboard's sound chip?

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 45
Ah yes i guess i would be able to.

With dac's, without sound card driver's installed, how does Windows actually know how to output sound to the DAC through USB? Would everything still work the same without driver's or is their something special i need to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back