Amp for Denon AH-D5000
Jul 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mdude186

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I know this has been talked about a lot, but I couldn't find much about the particular amp I had in mind, in relation to these headphones.  What do you guys think of the Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G for the Denon 5000?  Any other amps you would suggest in that price range?  (Wouldn't wanna go over $300)  I'd prefer it if the amp was portable and not a desktop amp.  

Also if you have LOD suggestions that would be appreciated as well.  I'm not trying to go crazy with it just want a decent one for the amp i pick out.  It will be connected to an Ipod 5.5 gen.  

Thank you for your time!

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 8
I have heard the matrix m-stage goes well with the denon. It is $250 but it is a desktop amp. Also, if memory serves, it is a copy of the Lehmann Black cube Linear, which is a $700 amp. I have the D2000 and I am going to buy that amp for it, and the differences between the two headphones is only cable quality and the wooden cups.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Fiio E11 Portable headphone amplifier ($65)
Decently drives my 250-Ohm headphones, the Denon AH-D5000 is only 25-Ohms.
For around $13, off eBay, for the E11, you can get two spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery recharger.

And get the Fiio L cable for use with your apple products.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 8
The Matrix M Stage looks like a really nice amp indeed.  I'll keep an eye on it if i'm ever in the market for a desktop amp, but to be honest I wanted something that could do both.  Connect to desktop and be portable.  The Arrow 4g retailer (Headphonia) also sells a dac that can be connected from the computer to the amp to the headphones.  So that amp would serve as both a desktop amp and portable one.  

I was looking for something a bit better than the E11.  But your LOD suggestion raises the question, is it worth it to buy a better LOD or no?  My father has the the one you mentioned, I think its like an L3 or something, so i can try it out after i purchase an amp.

I appreciate you all taking the time to pop in and make a post.  Any other suggestions out there?

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
The Matrix M Stage looks like a really nice amp indeed.  I'll keep an eye on it if i'm ever in the market for a desktop amp, but to be honest I wanted something that could do both.  Connect to desktop and be portable.  The Arrow 4g retailer (Headphonia) also sells a dac that can be connected from the computer to the amp to the headphones.  So that amp would serve as both a desktop amp and portable one.  

I was looking for something a bit better than the E11.  But your LOD suggestion raises the question, is it worth it to buy a better LOD or no?  My father has the the one you mentioned, I think its like an L3 or something, so i can try it out after i purchase an amp.

I appreciate you all taking the time to pop in and make a post.  Any other suggestions out there?

To the best of what my little brain knows, you really do not need much in the way of an amplifier for the AH-D5000.
Normally you can not use an external DAC with the iPod, but the HRT iStreamer ($150) is something you can keep around the house to plug into the iPod's LOD port.
For the computer, just get the DD (Dac Destroyer), USB-DAC, sells on eBay for around $60.
You can plug the E11 into both the DD and HRT.

I would just use a Fiio L cable, not spend more cash on a cable that might(?) be better.

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 8
Do you think a better solution would be to just go with the E17?  It can be had for 130 on amazon and doubles as a DAC and headphone amp.  I've read up on the E11 and it seem a lot of people were complaining about a static/popping noise from the line out on it (i'm not sure if this is resolved or not)  and also some form of distortion in the vocals.  

I'm just trying to get the most out of the Denon 5Ks, i've already spent the money on the headphones, there is no reason to skimp on the amp/dac haha.

Thanks again for your replies!

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Do you think a better solution would be to just go with the E17?  It can be had for 130 on amazon and doubles as a DAC and headphone amp.  I've read up on the E11 and it seem a lot of people were complaining about a static/popping noise from the line out on it (i'm not sure if this is resolved or not)  and also some form of distortion in the vocals.  

I'm just trying to get the most out of the Denon 5Ks, I've already spent the money on the headphones, there is no reason to skimp on the amp/dac haha.

Thanks again for your replies!

I do not have any problems with my Fiio E11. I rather like it as an amplifier.
But it's sounds like you would prefer to get the E17 and have everything in one package, go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back