Amp for Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm?
Jan 19, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #61 of 91
Has anybody tried any of the ibasso line for the 600 ohm beyers? I'm mostly interested in the amps in the $100-200 range. How would the ibassos compare to the E7+E9 combo for driving the 600 ohm Beyers?

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #63 of 91
I have just recently bought a DT990 used and was wondering what amp to pair it with.

does the WA3+ sound sonically better than the MKIVSE ?

has anyone compared the DV336 with the MKIVSE ?

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #64 of 91

Quote:
Off topic: When I gave my gf the 990s to compare it to her crap phones, she couldn't hear any difference. All she said was: Ooooh, they feel soft.

Some people...
rolleyes.gif

My girlfriend says she gets the chills when she listens to my set up 
dt880smile.png

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #65 of 91

Quote:
I have just recently bought a DT990 used and was wondering what amp to pair it with.

Speaking from my own, personal experience I can highly recommend the Schiit Valhalla as an excellent match for the Beyerdynamic DT 990/600 Ω.

Werner.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #66 of 91
Hello,

I have Fiio E7 + E9 at home and my plan is to invest in a better pair of headphones. I think that i have finally made up my mind to buy the 600 ohm DT990's (due to the fact that i've listened to them both and prefer the 600ohm) but im now worried that my amp might not be enough to make these beasts sound good.

What do you guys think?

kind regards

Mattias

Jun 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #68 of 91

Quote:
How does it tighten the sound of the dt990 ?

I don’t know if tighten is the right word, and I think it’s difficult for me to describe sound, much more in a language which is not my native language. Let’s try it:

The treble is detailled and sparkling, midrange and vocals sound alive and very present, bass is muscular and beefy. There’s enough reserve power available for short, loud and dynamic peaks without distorsion or clipping. Detail resolution and separation of instruments and voices is very fine and alive, not as analytical and clean and maybe sterile if I compare this to my AKG K701.

Since I switched from the AKG K701 to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 I noticed a lot more goose bumps, foot tapping and pure joy.

Werner.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #69 of 91
thanks for the explanation. i am still considering either the valhalla or jade.

Quote:

I don’t know if tighten is the right word, and I think it’s difficult for me to describe sound, much more in a language which is not my native language. Let’s try it:

The treble is detailled and sparkling, midrange and vocals sound alive and very present, bass is muscular and beefy. There’s enough reserve power available for short, loud and dynamic peaks without distorsion or clipping. Detail resolution and separation of instruments and voices is very fine and alive, not as analytical and clean and maybe sterile if I compare this to my AKG K701.

Since I switched from the AKG K701 to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 I noticed a lot more goose bumps, foot tapping and pure joy.

Werner.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #73 of 91
I'm beginning to question more and more if rather my DT990s are truly 600Ω, or if my current setup is enough to drive it to its potential.  The beyers sound pretty good out of the iPod, straight from the iMac, or with my LDMK2.  Going from iMac to MK2, there of course is less of a strain on the MK2, as my volume is always at around 20%, but the differences seem to be pretty subtle compared to the iMac.  A better noise floor and slightly wider soundstage and a tiny bit better timbre seem to be at hand, but the timbre thing probably has to do with the amp having warm driver tubes.

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #74 of 91
I am thinking about getting the DT990/600 and am curious about opinions on whether the M-Stage will drive it sufficiently. I have read the posts recommending tube amps, but I already have an M-Stage on the way and will hopefully not be changing it out any time soon. :D Thanks for your input.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #75 of 91

Quote:
I am thinking about getting the DT990/600 and am curious about opinions on whether the M-Stage will drive it sufficiently. I have read the posts recommending tube amps, but I already have an M-Stage on the way and will hopefully not be changing it out any time soon. :D Thanks for your input.

I have DT880/600 and an M Stage.  The M has no problem driving them.  The 600 ohm versions need a fair amount of voltage, the M has no problem delivering enough voltage.
Good luck!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back