Amp for Audio Technica M-50
May 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Newff

New Head-Fier
So I think I'm buyinf the Audio Technica M-50 Headphones and I'm wondering what I should buy for it. I listen to mostly Hip Hop, and House. I saw somewhere that a FiiO E5 would be good? If I spend a little more could I get something better?

Also do I need anything else besides an amp? Thanks

May 5, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your source? Portable, desktop? Price range?

Desktop PC, as for price I'm not sure because I know nothing about amps. As for price, it looks like the Fiio is like $25 but if there is something better I would go higher forsure..maybe $100

May 6, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 8
For significant improvements from a portable amp you have to go pretty high-end (think $200-$400, like the Arrow, TTVJ, Pico Slim, ALO Rx etc).

Most budget amps (T3, Fiio, etc) are more like volume boosters than amps IMO. Some IEMs benefit, but it's marginal at best.

Desktop amps are a different story. You can get a sizable improvement from a budget of only $100-$200.

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Can you give some more info or recommendations for a desktop amp? I'm planning on getting the M-50's as well as a gift for my bf, and he produces music in ableton on his pc. I know he's very particular about having enough bass, he's got subs in his auto and at home, but he's moving to a place with noise limits and I want him to get the most out of a headphone. How much of an improvement/necessity would a desktop amp be in this case? Anything in the lower price ranges ($25-50)? Thanks. :)

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Can you give some more info or recommendations for a desktop amp? I'm planning on getting the M-50's as well as a gift for my bf, and he produces music in ableton on his pc. I know he's very particular about having enough bass, he's got subs in his auto and at home, but he's moving to a place with noise limits and I want him to get the most out of a headphone. How much of an improvement/necessity would a desktop amp be in this case? Anything in the lower price ranges ($25-50)? Thanks. :)

What you want to look at in your price range is something like FiiO E10 dac/amp for desktop / laptop use. It has bass boost feature which will work well for your application.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 8
I agree with Ultrainferno, I haven't heard a big improvement with an amp for the M50s. They sound pretty similar (great!) out of anything I put them in, even my iphone
If you had to get an amp, maybe try one with a bass knob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back