Amp + DAC for less than ~$300USD - help brainstorm based on my requirements :D
Aug 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

spronkey

100+ Head-Fier
Guys,

I'm currently using an NAD C542+C320BEE combo, or an iPod (with or without the 320) to power my cans (Grado SR225, Senn HD580, and probably soon the ATH-M50 or DT770).

What I want is a combo DAC + Headphone amp that will scale up with my system. I want it for the following purposes, #1 is most important, #6 is least.
  • USB -> DAC+Amp -> Cans
  • USB -> DAC stage -> C320BEE Amp -> Speakers
  • In the future, USB -> DAC stage -> Better HP Amp -> Cans
  • IPod Line Out -> Amp stage -> Cans
  • Possibly Digital Input -> DAC(+Amp) -> Amp (Cans)
  • Possibly use as a low jitter digital output

So I guess I'm looking for the following features:
  1. DAC stage more important than HP amp stage
  2. Decent HP amp
  3. Probably easily adjustable gain (I don't want hiss on my Grados)
  4. USB input and hopefully digital S/PDIF or similar as well
  5. Ideally analogue input as well, but this isn't quite so important
  6. Analogue line out post-DAC
  7. Possibly a digital out post-USB (for #4)

Build and sound quality are paramount. Looks are next :). I'm also in New Zealand, so whatever I get needs to support the 240V power we have down here, and must be able to be shipped here.

The list of possible candidates so far with what I've read:
  1. Audinst HUD-mx1 - Meets almost all requirements, good price, good DAC, no gain switch, a little ugly.
  2. NuForce Icon uDac-2 - Great price, good DAC, no digi in or out, no gain adjust.
  3. Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 - Good looks, but questionable build+sound quality (?), no digi out
  4. Firestone Audio Fubar III (and IV) - Good looks, no digital output (or input on III), more expensive. Not sure on SQ?

What else is on the market that I can consider? What sort of price range? How do the above stack up?

If you've got any I'd love to hear comments (and especially comparisons).

I'm fully aware that I probably won't be able to get something to satisfy all my requirements.
If I can get something that satisfies most, and has an appropriate price, I'll be happy :)

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Hello, I'm not sure about the amps you mentioned, but I can vouch for my LD MK III.  It's a superb value and would leave you with over $100 left to budget on a DAC.  Mine is currently for sale if you are interested.  Feel free to send me a PM :)

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 5
LD MKIII eh... Do you use a DAC on that at the moment? I'm open to suggestions for Amp+Dac as two boxes that would somewhat meet my budget as well...

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, I don't know what they go for nowadays, but the Audio-GD FUN meets all your requirements.  Might be right around your budget.

DAC, headphone amp, pre-amp, line-in, USB, coax, optical input, gain switch, rollable HDAMs (not necessary, but fun).  I use it with headphones, as a pre to my A5s, with my ipod with line-in etc.  It really is a "fun" piece of gear.  lol

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 5
The Fun looks damn good. I got in touch with the NZ distributor, unfortunately they're around $670NZD or $470, which is somewhat outside my budget.

Have my eye on a used compass though, for around  $180USD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back