Amp Dac for AKG
Sep 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cosmos

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am new to Head-Fi and this is my first post.  I recently purchased the AKG 701 headphones and I'm using my old Marantz 63 CD player to listen to music with the AKG's.  I'm considering purchasing the Little Dot DAC + Little Dot MKIII along with a Wadia transport+ I Pod to replace my Marantz.  Does this sound like a good combination and will I notice an improvement in sound compared with just using my Marantz CD player?

Thanks in advance for any help with my question.
Scott

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi Scott,

Welcome to our community. I don't have experience with the components you mention but the 701s will improve with enough power to control them and a clean source. Tough first headphone to support because I did. Have you used the search and inserted the amp/dac and K70x combo to see what others have commented on?

The limited reviews I read said the III didn't have enough juice to compare to the most you can get out the 70x. For under $500 I'd go with a solid state amp. You'll get better value there. When you jump to a full tube amp, prices go up for the same sound. Expect to spend close to a grand to get a full tube amp worthy of the 70x capabilities. Of course there are exceptions that others can bring to the discussion.

Happy listening.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Expect to spend close to a grand to get a full tube amp worthy of the 70x capabilities. Of course there are exceptions that others can bring to the discussion.

Or build a bottlehead crack for $219 which is a very capable tube amp.  There are lots of DACs to choose from, and I prefer one thats not built into the amp because it allows for more flexibility.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Sep 12, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I have the CD63SE and have used the 701's, but don't own them. Assuming your files are saved lossless, the iPod/Wadia combo is bang-on. I'm using a Nuforce HDP to nice effect. Lots of power on tap for your akg701's. It has USB and coax or spidf input, so check the available outputs of the Wadia for compatibility.

The HDP also serves as a solid dac-preamp, which will allow you to send the signal to your stereo as well (assuming that is what the cd63 is hooked up to). There are lots of good options out there, but this might tie everything together neatly for you, with a minimum of wires and components, while providing great sound.
Happy hunting!

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 7
Cosmos, I used to own a Marantz CD63 and it has one of the most musical playback I have ever heard.  Its sound is hard to top even if you go for a budgeted DAC.  So audition carefully before bring a DAC home to replace the CD63. : )

The K701 also needs a lot of power.  I am using a Burson HA-160 to drive mine. http://www.bursonaudio.com/burson_headamp_160.htm . There are plenty of review on that combo on and off head-fi.
dt880smile.png

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 7
I think for your AKG 702 headphones you will need quality and power and that most likely means solid state.

I haven't heard the Little Dot stuff so I would not like to comment on that.

However it has become fashionable to think that valves (tubes in US) are a good thing per se.

Personally I tend to prefer good solid state amplifiers to valve amplifiers, but of course that is a great generalisation.

If you get a good solid state amplifier you might start to think that maybe the invention of solid state electrical devices was really rather a good thing after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back