Amount of Sleep & Effects
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 32
I've noticed this as well. If i sleep for 6 hours I can wake up right on time and not worry about feeling exhausted until well into the small hours of the night. On the weekends when I sleep for 8 or so hours I end up getting tired (even though I've done nothing) much sooner.

Starbucks is for looking cool.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by alleyezon_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's because kids these days drink too much coffee? I see way too many kids with a venti starbucks in hand, do they really need it or does it somehow make them look cool?

I blame MMORPGs

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. The sleep cycle, from stage 1-3, and back to 1 again, is about 90 minutes. You are in REM during stage three. Basically, sleeping in multiples of 90 minutes is good, because you will wake up during stage 1, the lightest state of sleep, making you feel well rested.

Aha! I'll try that out. But the list of multiples of 90 minutes goes from 7.5 hours to 9. It's going to be tricky to hit those. I think usually 7.5 hours isn't enough, but maybe if I consistently get 7.5, that'll do the trick. I read somewhere that what's more important than the amount of sleep is when you wake up. If you consistently wake up at the same time every day, your body will adjust and will tell you when it's time to go to bed by getting you sleepy. Or so I've heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alleyezon_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's because kids these days drink too much coffee? I see way too many kids with a venti starbucks in hand, do they really need it or does it somehow make them look cool?

Interesting theory, but I never drink coffee. Our ages aren't that far apart, anyway.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This link has some pretty good info.

Understanding Sleep: Sleep Needs, Cycles, and Stages

Sure explains why I often wake after about 5 hours sleep.

You too? 5 hours here also. Perhaps the article should mention how common this is to those living in South-Eastern Australia! LOL.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #21 of 32
Kirosia : You are one funny guy, your posts always crack me up!

I don't follow REM well, but I know that I never wake during the night unless something wakes me (or a nightmare), but I do notice the following pattern in sleep:

Almost none, 2 hours or so - I feel pretty crappy

A little sleep, about 4-5 hours - I'm running on fumes, forcing myself awake and active, but later that day I'm down for the count.

Normal amount of sleep (at least for me) - 7-8 hours - Although I never like waking up and getting out of bed, I'll be feeling good and refreshed after the morning procedures.

Indulgent sleep, 9-10 hours - I'm OK, but less "active" feeling than with the average 7 hours.

Oversleep, 10 - 12 hours - Unless I REALLY need it because I was exhausted from under-sleeping or overexertion, I'll have this overall feeling of "Pissed at the world for no reason!", it's strange, but I seriously can't stand people when I oversleep (or take naps over 30 minutes for that matter), just want to kick puppies at that point.

Completely oversleep 14+ hours - only happens for a reason and if there is a reason, I'm likely feeling crappy enough as it is, at least I appreciate the rest of being in bed and inactive.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 32
Does anyone use melatonin?

I use it most nights and almost never wake and sleep like a rock. I normally get 7 hours and feel good with that amount.

I'm using this formula currently which has other stuff thrown in for good measure.

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 32
Six hours and a cup of coffee in the morning and one in the afternoon and I'm good enough.

I've never really been able to get on a schedule and apparently I have mild sleep apnea. Not a big problem but the apnea wrecks all REM cycles so as long as I get six hours I won't really notice a difference once I actually get out of bed.

Mar 7, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 32
Another element to consider is when exactly you're doing the sleeping. My best rest is generally from ~12-9 am, with most nights going from ~1-8 am. But if I wake up past 9 in the morning, no matter how many hours I slept, I feel groggy. Same with waking up before 7.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #27 of 32
0 hours - pretty tired in the early morning then back into the swing of things.
1-4 hours - fine until the late afternoon then lethargic and sometimes grumpy
smily_headphones1.gif

5-7 hours - typical night, normal
8-9 hours - great, happy and productive
10+ hours - lazy and content

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone use melatonin?
I use it most nights and almost never wake and sleep like a rock. I normally get 7 hours and feel good with that amount.
I'm using this formula currently which has other stuff thrown in for good measure.

I do on occasion. Sometimes it works, sometimes not at all.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #28 of 32
If I remember dreaming and waking a couple of times a night I feel pretty good in the morning even if it's only about 6.5 hours total. So the REM cycle is real. I need at least 7 generally to be rested. It's almost like I'm drunk if I get less than 5hrs.

Mar 7, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #29 of 32
I find that if I stay in bed longer than 8 hours my back kills me all day long.

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sleep is for the weak.

quoted for truth.

At uni I stayed awake for 37 hours. 30 finishing a paper, 4 fighting sleep, and 3 fighting the zombies. Around the 30 hour mark for me I start hallucinating; Breathing walls, high pitch wine, and my brain feel like it is about the explode. I think I get hyper sensitivity with my hearing but I haven't verified that with any tests.

edit: the minimum amount of sleep I need to be normal is about 3 hours. If I get less I have the do the 30minute nap coffee trick so I feel like I got 8-hour of sleep. I know I am a freak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back