Amount of Sleep & Effects
Mar 5, 2008 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ilovesocks

1000+ Head-Fier
As a university student, the amount of sleep I get each night varies quite a bit, from around 9 hours (rare) to about 4 in some extreme cases. What I've found is that I feel good when I wake up after 8 or more hours. As the amount drops to 7.5 and decreases, I feel horrible when I wake up and begin nodding off uncontrollably during class, especially mid- to late-afternoon ones.

However, when the amount reaches 5 or less, I feel pretty good when I wake up, and I am sharper and more productive during the day. I assume that this has to do with the way the REM sleep phase syncs up with the time that I'm asleep, but I wanted to see if anyone else experiences anything similar?

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 32
Exactly the same for me! Below ~6 hours of sleep makes me very energetic, but about 6.5 hours - 8 hours makes me very tired. And sometimes when it's really really sunny, I manage to only get like 5 hours of sleep, just can't get more.

Mar 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 32
If I sleep too little or too much, I feel like absolute crap.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 32
How active I am plays a huge role in my sleep patterns. When I'm not exercising I tend to feel worse the more I sleep. When I am regularly exercising seven to eight hours of sleep is the perfect amount. Less than seven and I feel drained, more than 9 or so and I feel sluggish the entire day.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 32
8 hours = perfect
>8 hours = groggy
7 = pretty good
6 = tired but fully functional
5 or less very tired and get that energy boost the op talked about, but more than one night like that, and I'm useless and in pain all day.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 32
2 hours of sleep, I can function, though haven't tried this when going to school.
3-4 hours, can't concentrate.
6 hours: usual amount of sleep for weeknights. Certainly not enough, but I can get through the day.
8-10 hours: Perfect.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwiniarz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5-6 hours is where i feel the best, anything over i'm too tired.

I agree. But try to tell my parents that. My mom thinks I'm crazy.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be due to the phase of sleep when you wake up: if you wake up during deep, non-REM sleep, you'll feel worse.

Exactly. The sleep cycle, from stage 1-3, and back to 1 again, is about 90 minutes. You are in REM during stage three. Basically, sleeping in multiples of 90 minutes is good, because you will wake up during stage 1, the lightest state of sleep, making you feel well rested.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. The sleep cycle, from stage 1-3, and back to 1 again, is about three hours. You are in REM during stage three. Basically, sleeping in multiples of 3 hours is good, because you will wake up during stage 1, the lightest state of sleep, making you feel well rested.

Is this why I always wake up every three hours or so at night? The dreams are crazy vivid...

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 32
Maybe it's because kids these days drink too much coffee? I see way too many kids with a venti starbucks in hand, do they really need it or does it somehow make them look cool?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back