Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Dec 11, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #287 of 950
Score: Hi-Res Certified/10

8026084.jpg

(photo credit: castleofarrrrrrrrrgh IIRC)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #288 of 950
Aminus Recommends:
Or, “so what DON’T you hate?”

Here is the curated list of things I generally recommend to people who ask me. Stuff that I would personally use at its price tier for a daily driver will be marked in bold. All tiers are sorted by quoted price. All prices quoted are in USD at the cheapest possible new price.

Sub-$100 tier:
So you either have no money or want a beater. Unfortunately for you, nothing here is really that good. But here’s the stuff that’s not as bad as everything else out there.

Sony MH755 - $8
Starting with the obligatory. Yes, it has shouty upper mids. Yes, it has kinda bad treble. No, the detail is not remotely good. No, it’s uncomparable at the price. Having damned good bass is a plus too. Recable it and you have an unbeatable beater IEM.

Tin HiFi T2 - $50
Incredibly boring. But the only thing in this price range that makes any sort of attempt to be neutral. Front vent seal is not recommended as you’re just turning lacking bad bass into lots of bad bass. Not much to say aside from that.

Sony MDR-AS800 - $60
Good tonality. Minor warmth. Treble is not quite my flavor of lower treble but close enough. Main problem here is that it has no bass slam, and like everything else in this tier it has no real technical ability either. But it gets the main offending tonality stuff right, very right, which is a rarity in this bracket, to say the least.

$100-$500 tier:
Fancy yourself a little better than some budget Made in China stuff? Good for you, there’s a wide variety of choices here. This is the tier where things really start becoming acceptable.

Tin HiFi T4 - $110
New kid on the block showing off his good dynamics, nice detail and well tuned midrange. Treble can annoy some, but that applies to anything with treble peaks. No bass, as was the case with the T2, but what else did you expect from Tin?

Etymotic ER2SE/XR - $120
The first thing on this list with actual bass that doesn’t compromise the midrange. The only problem now is that you have no soundstage and no treble extension. Still has damned good detail and is way less intense than the ER4 and ER3. Strong recommendation for this one. Basslets stick to the SE, normal people go for the XR.

Sony MDR-EX800ST - $200
Kinda low in resolution and veiled, with distant presentation. But this baby has decent detail retrieval, good slam in the bass (though not enough if you ask me) and pretty inoffensive mids and treble (unlike the EX1000). Extremely EQable, if you’re into that. The problem, just like the EX1000, is that it’s open back. Otherwise this is an acceptable choice.

Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 - $280
Unlike the modded FD01 I heard and criticized, the FDX1 is way less boring and doesn’t feel as dark. Dynamics are also better (my trusted ears tell me the brass nozzle, the one on the modded FD01 unit, is for whatever reason incredibly boring compared to the other 2), though it’s still very laidback, perhaps unusually so. Thanks to not being as dark, the FDX1 displays good technicalities over its original. It also still has no treble extension past the resonance peak. The plus side is that you get an actual soundstage, unlike the ER2. Also has more midbass than the XR. YMMV.

Sony IER-M7 - $370
First BA on the list goes to Sony, unsurprisingly. It’s free of the usual disgusting BA timbre but is one of the worst offenders of the sonic wall staging I’ve been complaining about a lot these days, and has kinda bad bass transients. On top of that, it has kinda garbage dynamics and is a little dark. But you get some damn good technicalities and a likable sound signature, with excellent imaging as well. Also not as bassy as the IER-M9 for whatever reason, even though it appears that way on the graph. A worthy consideration for someone who wants a taste of the Sony IER sound but doesn’t have the dosh for it.

Sony MDR-EX1000 - $400
The legendary one and only. The peak of single DD engineering. Has good staging (duh) but similarly distant presentation to the EX800. This may trigger some. Even worse is the peaky treble, which is absolutely unbearable to many. But it’s still the most technical single DD in the world. May have flat bass but don’t underestimate its slam. EQs extremely well, if you’re into that kind of thing. Remove the filter to remove the slight veil and you’re gucci. Oh yeah, and it’s unusable outside.

$500-$1000 tier:
Slowly but surely building up to the big boy prices. This stuff is generally pretty technical. Hard to go wrong in this tier.

FAudio Minor - $570
The other new kid on the block. Excellent bass, great dynamics, open soundstage, slightly edgy but otherwise inoffensive upper mids. The main problem here is that the treble peaks like an Acoustune, though in practice it doesn’t quite have the same treble tonality and timbre as one. If you can handle the treble, put some Sony Hybrid tips on it and you have the best single DD you can attain in this price tier (or any price tier really) with few major flaws to boot. Just good all around.

qdc 4SS - $700
Typical BA timbre and horrible textureless bass, but one of the most technical and neutral options at this price range. Easy goto option for a CIEM at this tier as well. Here mostly because it has no real competition at what it does for the price.

Hyla CE-5 - $900
Extremely colored tonality. Horrible mids. Polarizing treble. But the bass is incredible. It too has a flavoring to it, though this one is more of a sweetness than anything really potentially offensive. Technically the best bass in this tier, but I prefer the tonality of the Minor’s bass for most things. Excellent recommendation for electronic music, kinda lousy recommendation for everything else.

Beyerdynamic Xelento - $1000
Listed as $1000, but you can get this used at $600. Extremely V shaped but also extremely well controlled in transients. Slams like a truck and has the treble to not have everything plunged in darkness. The problem is that the mids on it are horribly recessed and the treble extension sucks. Otherwise this is one of the top players at this bracket thanks to its relatively low used price.

Sony IER-M9 - $1000
Also goes for around $1000 new but often goes for way cheaper used. Similar dynamic, staging and transient issues to the M7 but now with more bass, more treble, and better technical ability to boot. I would honestly recommend for any prospective M7 buyers to top up for a used M9, but not everyone can do that. Both are similar enough so I’ll leave it at that.

$1000+
So you think you’re a big boy. Let’s see just how big you are.

Hidition Viento-B - $1200
4BAs that do more than most double digit multi-BA setups. Bass is surprisingly well controlled for a BA (still has timbral issues and a lack of slam so don’t get your hopes up) and it extends extremely well on both ends. Can be shouty and bright to some, but I’m usually the one whining about stuff like that and I don’t have any problems with it. One of my DIYer friends calls it black magic and rightfully so. The only mid-centric IEM I truly like.

FAudio Major - $1400
It’s warm, very warm, with recessed treble. But it’s also pretty good with detail and has nice bass. Thick and rich is the name of the game here. Hard to recommend to anyone aside from warm types but those who like it won’t find anything else similar.

InEar ProPhile 8 - $1600
Dead neutral, and I mean it when I say dead. Completely 0 dynamics. But the tuning is as studio reference as it gets. Also incredibly technical. Variable switches don’t do much to alleviate how lifeless it is. Now available in 50 million useless wood variants.

64 audio U12t - $2000
Don’t do what I did and fall for the trickery that is the A12t. The universal is very well tuned, and fits my idea of neutrality almost perfectly. Bass is well extended but not as good as some may claim. Tia driver may be sibilant to some, but otherwise this IEM is one of the best multi-BA setups in the world.

Shure KSE1200 - $2000
Watch out, this bad boy has horrible tonality, tiny staging, no slam to speak of, and yucky nonexistent decay. But it’s here for a reason: it has the best technicalities in the IEM game period. Only for detail freaks and people who can stomach the screwy midrange and treble.

Sony IER-Z1R - $2000
The undisputed king of the hybrid. You already know my thoughts on this one. Go for it above all else if you appreciate good bass. That is all.

qdc Anole VX - $2100
This has the same problems as the 4SS, but make no mistake, this is one of the best “neutral” IEMs money can buy. Excellent technical ability with little to no real FR related flaws. Main drawbacks are the weird bass imaging and, of course, BA timbre.

Vision Ears VE8 - $2700
Extremely expensive, but also the only warm IEM that has truly good technicalities. Warmth does away with most of the BA timbre, though it is still an issue. Small staging, but most CIEMs don’t have any staging worth speaking of anyways. If you like warmth, you will either eventually end up buying this or quit audio before you can afford it.

And that’s it. These are the IEMs I give my stamp of approval to. Hope you enjoyed the read.

would really like a review from you about the Audiosense T800,

and of course taking the Oppoty to see how well the over-hyped BLON BL-03 really stacks against all those other heavy-hitters (in terms of quality and technicalities)

Dec 12, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #289 of 950
would really like a review from you about the Audiosense T800,

and of course taking the Oppoty to see how well the over-hyped BLON BL-03 really stacks against all those other heavy-hitters (in terms of quality and technicalities)
I’ve heard the T800 briefly and was not a fan. Not sure if it’s even worth reviewing. As for the BL-03, the review for it has already been written. Likely release is this weekend.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #290 of 950
Requesting a review of the Flare Pro 2 HD if that's possible and interesting enough for you, thanks.

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #291 of 950
Requesting a review of the Flare Pro 2 HD if that's possible and interesting enough for you, thanks.
Never heard of this brand, but their marketing reeks of wannabe consumer hifi. No idea where I’d find a demo unit of this but I’ll see if I ever run into it.

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #292 of 950
Never heard of this brand, but their marketing reeks of wannabe consumer hifi. No idea where I’d find a demo unit of this but I’ll see if I ever run into it.

I thought Flare was quite well known and that you guys in Singapore had access to demos of everything but I guess I was wrong. I've got a pair since a couple of weeks now and I was particularly interested in your take on their claim it's the most revealing/detailed IEM at any price point.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #293 of 950
I thought Flare was quite well known and that you guys in Singapore had access to demos of everything but I guess I was wrong. I've got a pair since a couple of weeks now and I was particularly interested in your take on their claim it's the most revealing/detailed IEM at any price point.

@chickenmoon,

Just my 2 cents,

Unforunately, certain UK manufacturers doesn't always send audio gear to Asia unless it's mid to high end, especially IEMs, certainly not potential hype train gear masquerading as pro gear.

The question to ask if the Flare Pro Series is so good, why are they discontinuing it?
Loosely followed the company's overall development, subjectively & personally, nothing really compelling though your earplugs seem interesting enough but that's it.
Not to mention, exchange rate is almost 3 X so even those plugs aren't even worth trying.

Hope everyone has a great day !

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #294 of 950
@chickenmoon,

Just my 2 cents,

Unforunately, certain UK manufacturers doesn't always send audio gear to Asia unless it's mid to high end, especially IEMs, certainly not potential hype train gear masquerading as pro gear.

The question to ask if the Flare Pro Series is so good, why are they discontinuing it?
Loosely followed the company's overall development, subjectively & personally, nothing really compelling though your earplugs seem interesting enough but that's it.
Not to mention, exchange rate is almost 3 X so even those plugs aren't even worth trying.

Hope everyone has a great day !

OK, I get it you have a strong negative impression of Flare Audio but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be based on your actual listening of any of their products past or current.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #295 of 950
OK, I get it you have a strong negative impression of Flare Audio but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be based on your actual listening of any of their products past or current.

Honestly, @chickenmoon,

As much as I like to listen to Flare products, there is no way I can nor does it actually interest me given what I actually have access to & willing to try is subjectively better...
The important thing to note in my previous post is that exchange rate.
Even their cheapest models with a sale, still works out more almost 3 times than iBasso IT 01 or even IT 01s

I also don't like companies who claim pro audio connections but don't actually have any real endorsements which can be legitimately verified in some way though I don't really care if a professional audio engineer endorses a product or not unless I have at least demo the thing myself.
I am certainly not a sheep either...

Hope this clears things up.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #296 of 950
Ha, Flare Audio! The company that made me pay double for their titanium R2Pro, by claiming it sounded superior to their aluminum R2A:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flare-audio-r2pro-kickstarter-campaign.766183/page-127#post-11840746
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flare-audio-r2pro-kickstarter-campaign.766183/page-128#post-11842307

Turned out the underlying cause was different venting rather than different housing materials. Not a company I personally would ever trust again.

Admittely, their proprietary microdriver was pretty good though. Entirely possible that their more recent Pro Series may sound decent...

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #297 of 950
Tanchjim Oxygen:
How shocking, another hyped chifi IEM tuned to the Haram target! Next you’ll tell me that water is wet and oBravo suck.

Anyways, you get the point. Chifi, single DD, hyped as better than the KXXS (which I don’t even like to begin with), yadda yadda. I’ve heard this song and dance too many times. Moving on.

The bass response of the Oxygen is almost a little pitiful for a DD. Quantity is fine, it’s just that the slam is almost nonexistent. There are BAs that hit harder than this, which is a little sad. Transient response characterizes itself with snappy attack and quick decay, and I do wish the subbass decay a little slower and more emphasized. Aside from that though, the minor bass boost of the Oxygen is clean and decently extended. It just has unusually low amounts of tactility.

And then Tanchjim proceeds to remind me once again why I dislike Harman. The Oxygen’s midrange is harsh and thin, with an unnatural buzz to it. One of the people in my audio circle described it as “the singer having no oxygen”, which I’m afraid to say is not entirely inaccurate. Guitars sound rough and have their distortion overly emphasize, which is not a pretty sound. Vocals constantly edge between being strained and being shouty, which is unpleasant to say the least. I just don’t like the Harman curve’s pinna compensation, and likely never will.

The Oxygen’s treble imitates its midrange in its annoying harshness. It has an almost stereotypically Harman lower treble emphasis, and not the kind that I like either. Cymbals are etchy and dry, with far too much crash for their own good. I would deep insert the Oxygen to experiment with insertion peaks but the ridiculously short nozzle of the Oxygen is exacerbated by the horrible placement of the 2pin connector, which bites into my skin and makes me not want to listen to it for more than a few minutes. In short, the Oxygen’s midrange and treble are harsh, etchy, bright, and generally just not pleasant.

The Oxygen, at the very least, is technical enough to warrant the price, though it’s nothing impressive at all. Layering is marred by the roughness of the upper midrange and treble, and general detail retrieval is not that good to begin with. As is standard with Harman IEMs, the resolution is solid, but considering the cookie cutter tuning this is nothing special. Soundstaging is slightly out of the shell, though not extremely so. Dynamics are decent but certainly nothing special, especially thanks to the general lack of tactility and slam to bring them out. There’s just not much to say around here because even something cheaper like the ER2 beats the Oxygen hands down in technicalities.

I’m all around not impressed by the Oxygen. The tuning should be the main selling point, but instead becomes its bane. The technicalities are nothing special for the price. Both of my budget favorites, the ER2 and the FDX1, wipe the floor with in in layering, detail retrieval, and other intangibles like slam and tactility. I see no point in this IEM, unless one is fully sold on the Harman sound signature.

All listening was done with the WM1A’s 3.5mm jack.

Not recommended. An ER2XR would be essentially the same thing but better in every way save soundstage. An FDX1 would slaughter it in listenability and enjoyability, not to mention technicalities. Just goes to show that FOTM hype is nothing more than empty hype.

Score: 4/10

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #300 of 950
BLON is not getting a 6/10 :joy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back