Aminus hates everything (Or, Aminus rants and reviews stuff)
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #586 of 950
Have not had much eartime with it, but it's thick, dark and gooey from what I remember. Not my kind of thing, but not terrible I suppose. I believe the main issue with it would be that it lacks any sort of notion of price performance (as low/midrange 64 tends to) and is a little iffy on the technicalities side of things.
Thanks for your input! I tried the U6t (the uni demo) and I felt it wasn't bad. Was the A6t you tried the custom or the U6t demo? I wonder if it has the same issue as U12t vs A12t lol

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #587 of 950
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/aminus.516215/

Have you ever heard the qdc Anole V3?

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #588 of 950
Thanks for your input! I tried the U6t (the uni demo) and I felt it wasn't bad. Was the A6t you tried the custom or the U6t demo? I wonder if it has the same issue as U12t vs A12t lol
I have not heard the A6t custom.

@https://www.head-fi.org/members/aminus.516215/

Have you ever heard the qdc Anole V3?
Nope, I have next to no experience with low end qdc outside of the 4SS and the 5SH.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #589 of 950
Dunu Luna:
Or, misadventures in single DDs, part 3.

I had a chance to listen to the Luna all the way back last year during Canjam Shanghai. Unfortunately Dunu’s booth operated the most ridiculous queue system ever that effectively made me leave the convention over how frustrated I was by it. By that time I’d heard everything else I wanted to anyways so I didn’t really care, and I figured it was Dunu so I wouldn’t be missing out on much.

Surprise surprise, I wasn’t. The Luna is no stranger to the Dunu trend of not being able to tune things to sound normal.

Let’s start with the bass response. Midbass oriented with good impact and average bass texturing. There is a little subbass rolloff, but I don’t find myself particularly irked by it, considering the Luna’s response is midbassy regardless. In general, I don’t see much wrong with the Luna’s bass response, but I don’t think it’s amazing either.

This is where things go particularly south. The Luna’s midrange sounds off. There is a distinct telephonic quality to it that’s gritty in a particularly unpleasant way. It reminds me somewhat of the Solaris OG’s roughness but pushed quite a bit higher up, primarily in the upper mids where Solaris’ harshness was more center mid focused. Vocals of any sort just don’t sound right, and guitars sound like they’re being run through a cheap digital distortion preset and played out of a $30 practice amp. The pinna compensation of the Luna measures badly, and it really shows in practice. Not helping this is how upper midrange forward the Luna is, bringing its glaring flaws right into the forefront of the Luna’s presentation.

Compounding onto this severe enough midrange issue is the fact that the Luna’s treble is a peaky mess. There is an excessive amount of cymbal crash here that is distracting in how overbearing it is and how divorced it sounds from real cymbals. In addition to that, there is a distinct treble peak that sounds akin to a 9khz or 10khz peak that rears its head at the worst possible times. Occasional sibilance or just plain sharp sounding cymbals are usually how it presents itself. And this is with the stock Spinfits on. You know, the tips infamous for neutering and killing any sort of treble response. I’m impressed that the Luna’s treble peaks are still distinguishable through Spinfits in a sort of horrified way. I don’t want to hear this thing with any sort of medium or wide bore tip, because god help my ears if I had to listen to that.

As much as I just heavily criticized and bashed the Luna though, it’s a capable driver that sounds more or less entirely untuned. The Luna is very dynamic, enough to compete with some of the best I’ve heard, and it really doesn’t hold back with detail retrieval and separation. While not top in class in that regard, it layers particularly well for an IEM with fairly poor staging, and has good macrodetailing chops. Its main technical weakness would be the aforementioned small staging, but that would come down to the thin shell and unremarkable in-the-shell staging.

It seems to me that Dunu did invest the R&D into making the Luna a technically proficient IEM. The problem is that it feels like they just ran out of money shortly after that and threw the driver into an untuned shell. The result is an IEM that could have been really good, but ends up kinda lame and bad.

I wasn’t expecting much from the Luna, so I guess I got a little more than I bargained for. At the same time, I do feel kind of miffed about the untapped potential here. I don’t think fixing the shortcomings of the Luna would have been too difficult either, which makes the whole thing come off as lazy and half-baked. Maybe with a few more months of R&D to perfect the tuning the Luna could have been truly great, but as is it’s just another bad and expensive single DD.

All listening was done out of the WM1A’s 4.4mm jack.

Save your money and wait, would be my advice to someone seeking an endgame single DD IEM. One that hits the mark will exist, sooner or later, but this isn’t it.

Score: 4/10

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #590 of 950
Dunu Luna:
Or, misadventures in single DDs, part 3.

I had a chance to listen to the Luna all the way back last year during Canjam Shanghai. Unfortunately Dunu’s booth operated the most ridiculous queue system ever that effectively made me leave the convention over how frustrated I was by it. By that time I’d heard everything else I wanted to anyways so I didn’t really care, and I figured it was Dunu so I wouldn’t be missing out on much.

Surprise surprise, I wasn’t. The Luna is no stranger to the Dunu trend of not being able to tune things to sound normal.

Let’s start with the bass response. Midbass oriented with good impact and average bass texturing. There is a little subbass rolloff, but I don’t find myself particularly irked by it, considering the Luna’s response is midbassy regardless. In general, I don’t see much wrong with the Luna’s bass response, but I don’t think it’s amazing either.

This is where things go particularly south. The Luna’s midrange sounds off. There is a distinct telephonic quality to it that’s gritty in a particularly unpleasant way. It reminds me somewhat of the Solaris OG’s roughness but pushed quite a bit higher up, primarily in the upper mids where Solaris’ harshness was more center mid focused. Vocals of any sort just don’t sound right, and guitars sound like they’re being run through a cheap digital distortion preset and played out of a $30 practice amp. The pinna compensation of the Luna measures badly, and it really shows in practice. Not helping this is how upper midrange forward the Luna is, bringing its glaring flaws right into the forefront of the Luna’s presentation.

Compounding onto this severe enough midrange issue is the fact that the Luna’s treble is a peaky mess. There is an excessive amount of cymbal crash here that is distracting in how overbearing it is and how divorced it sounds from real cymbals. In addition to that, there is a distinct treble peak that sounds akin to a 9khz or 10khz peak that rears its head at the worst possible times. Occasional sibilance or just plain sharp sounding cymbals are usually how it presents itself. And this is with the stock Spinfits on. You know, the tips infamous for neutering and killing any sort of treble response. I’m impressed that the Luna’s treble peaks are still distinguishable through Spinfits in a sort of horrified way. I don’t want to hear this thing with any sort of medium or wide bore tip, because god help my ears if I had to listen to that.

As much as I just heavily criticized and bashed the Luna though, it’s a capable driver that sounds more or less entirely untuned. The Luna is very dynamic, enough to compete with some of the best I’ve heard, and it really doesn’t hold back with detail retrieval and separation. While not top in class in that regard, it layers particularly well for an IEM with fairly poor staging, and has good macrodetailing chops. Its main technical weakness would be the aforementioned small staging, but that would come down to the thin shell and unremarkable in-the-shell staging. It’s seems to me that Dunu did invest the R&D into making the Luna a technically proficient IEM. The problem is that it feels like they just ran out of money shortly after that and threw the driver into an untuned shell. The result is an IEM that could have been really good, but ends up kinda lame and bad.
I wasn’t expecting much from the Luna, so I guess I got a little more than I bargained for. At the same time, I do feel kind of miffed about the untapped potential here. I don’t think fixing the shortcomings of the Luna would have been too difficult either, which makes the whole thing come off as lazy and half-baked. Maybe with a few more months of R&D to perfect the tuning the Luna could have been truly great, but as is it’s just another bad and expensive single DD.

All listening was done out of the WM1A’s 4.4mm jack.

Save your money and wait, would be my advice to someone seeking an endgame single DD IEM. One that hits the mark will exist, sooner or later, but this isn’t it.

argh....the hunt for the ultimate endgame single DD continues....

hoping you get ur hands on the EAH-TZ700

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #591 of 950
People who have been saving for the best DD that has ever existed:
eca.png

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #596 of 950

If possible i'd like to know what you think about accoustune latest release. I am also looking for a good DD to complement my EX1000

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:09 AM Post #597 of 950
If possible i'd like to know what you think about accoustune latest release. I am also looking for a good DD to complement my EX1000
Also interested in this. I do love my modded JVC FD02 and think it complements the EX1k well, also really liked the Luna for its expressive power, timbre and dynamics after testing it for a couple of weeks, but the cost is really high and could not justify it. something similar well <$1000 would be great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back