AMB Gamma2 DAC sound impressions?
Jan 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #76 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude you never compare your Wife to your Mistress. That is just rude!

lol

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #77 of 185
I actually prefer boring to misinformation.
Thanks Beefy for not providing a comparison when he has none.
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #78 of 185
Quote:

Dude you never compare your Wife to your Mistress. That is just rude!

beerchug.gif

Dang Beefy, you’re killing me - aren’t you a little inquisitive to compare! You gotta put both those babies in the ring, fight to the death. lol

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #79 of 185
For those of you who have the y2 in combination with a HD650 and an amp what are your thoughts and impressions? My plan is to use the y2 with a MacBook Pro along with a La Figaro 332c (cousing to the Darkvoice 332). It seems that some of you thought the HD650 and the y2 alone didn't synergize too well.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #80 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who have the y2 in combination with a HD650 and an amp what are your thoughts and impressions? My plan is to use the y2 with a MacBook Pro along with a La Figaro 332c (cousing to the Darkvoice 332). It seems that some of you thought the HD650 and the y2 alone didn't synergize too well.

I used a y2 with my HD650s and loved it. In fact, I've never heard them sound better. My amp was the M^3 though.

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #81 of 185
I ended up acquiring a y2. Here are my impressions. I'm going to keep it short. My initial set up was an iPhone with a LOD into my La Figaro 332c tube amp to a pair of HD650s. The sound was quite good coming from an iPhone. It was definitely better than going straight out of the headphone out to my 332c. I felt in general the iPhone as a source was a little bass heavy. Still there was pretty good separation and detail. When I put the y2 in the mix and sent it out of my Mac Book Pro the music totally came alive. The best way I could describe the y2 with my 332c and MBP is "liquid". The sound is clear and crisp and the separation gets to the point that it has a holographic feel. The iPhone LOD never had this, nor did straight out of the cpu to the amp. Thus, it's the DAC that's doing a good amount of heavy lifting.

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #82 of 185
My wallet hates you....
evil_smiley.gif

Will order one from MisterX.
A lead time of two weeks
frown.gif
... but him who waits for something good and so on and so forth...

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #83 of 185
good to hear that the y-2 is getting some more love around here.

i finally placed my Digikey order and will have a proper USB cable and wall-wart connector arriving today to compare PSs along with my o-11. i'll have a lot of time this weekend for listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #84 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good to hear that the y-2 is getting some more love around here.

i finally placed my Digikey order and will have a proper USB cable and wall-wart connector arriving today to compare PSs along with my o-11. i'll have a lot of time this weekend for listening
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd be interested in hearing if you find any differences between the power supplies.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #85 of 185
i can hear differences between cables and the 3 different digital filters, but i cannot hear any differences between USB, regulated wall-wart, or a o-11 powering the y-1. differences in noise, tone, timbre, timing, details, soundstage etc...ziltch.

unfortunately, i'm getting some ground noise via the Bijou with USB (not with coaxial), no matter how the y-2 is powered, with the lower impedance K271/K601 - dead silent with the DT990/600ohm. the B22 and M3 are dead silent no matter what.

i'm also a bit surprised by the improvement that FLAC/foobar/ASIO has over coaxial via my Pionner or Oppo dvd players. hi-rez...yes!

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #86 of 185
Just want to chime in here that I also think the y2 is superb.

I built a kit for my SACD with an AD1896 and a Tent labs xo a few years back and that dropped my jaw it was so good.

I think if this was the first time I had heard a high quality upsampling DAC my jaw would be between my toes. The y2 is way way out of it's price range for quality.

I definitely recommend this dac to any and all. And apart from the mssop chips, it's quite easy to build too.

Well done AMB !

Thanks.

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #87 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can hear differences between cables and the 3 different digital filters, but i cannot hear any differences between USB, regulated wall-wart, or a o-11 powering the y-1. differences in noise, tone, timbre, timing, details, soundstage etc...ziltch.

unfortunately, i'm getting some ground noise via the Bijou with USB (not with coaxial), no matter how the y-2 is powered, with the lower impedance K271/K601 - dead silent with the DT990/600ohm. the B22 and M3 are dead silent no matter what.

i'm also a bit surprised by the improvement that FLAC/foobar/ASIO has over coaxial via my Pionner or Oppo dvd players. hi-rez...yes!

Thanks for the feedback. Little surprised you could hear ziltch differences when you can hear a diff between the filters. I hear no diff. between the filters. Wonder if any improvement would be had by bypassing the onboard reg. at least the 4.5V one that powers the opamp.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #88 of 185
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Little surprised you could hear ziltch differences when you can hear a diff between the filters. I hear no diff. between the filters. Wonder if any improvement would be had by bypassing the onboard reg. at least the 4.5V one that powers the opamp.

Ditto. I cannot hear a difference between the filters reliably. Thanks for your impressions fishski.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #89 of 185
I do hear differences between the 3, but they are subtle. C setting has a little more treble, A setting sounds smoother with more soundstage, B is somewhere in between.
As far as which one I prefer, it depends on the recording, although I could live with any of them because they all sound excellent.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #90 of 185
Quote:

I hear no diff. between the filters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot hear a difference between the filters reliably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do hear differences between the 3, but they are subtle. C setting has a little more treble, A setting sounds smoother with more soundstage, B is somewhere in between.

People shouldn't forget that the filters are much less likely to have an effect if the ASRC is installed......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back