AMB Gamma2 DAC sound impressions?
Dec 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #46 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard both and no, the STX is not quite at the same level with the Compass.

Depends on who you ask it seems. But your findings would explain gilency's impressions.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #47 of 185
Is the Pico some kind of reference? I see it gets often compared to.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #48 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on who you ask it seems. But your findings would explain gilency's impressions.

I expect γ2 to beat the Compass handily. A fairer opponent from Audio-gd's line up will be the DAC19MK3.

The STX is more to the playing field of γ1, Zero DAC and Carat-Peridot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Pico some kind of reference? I see it gets often compared to.

It's very good and has a well-balanced sound. It will be my one and only choice if I need a transportable system.

The only fault I can think of is the channel imbalance between 6 to 9 o' clock.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #50 of 185
Mine is still in progress...
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #53 of 185
i posted the below impressions in the y-2 build thread, but Shahrose recommended i post it here as well. the build threads can be difficult to glean listening impressions from, more so if you're not a DIYer and just looking to commission a build.

mini-review
i decided to hook up my DAC1 for some comparisons. i've owned the DAC1 for 3 years now. i also know that a lot of people dislike it, saying it's cold, sterile, and lifeless. i've never felt the DAC1 was a limiting component with my M3 or Bijou - the combos sound great. listening via the B22 seeded an itch to scratch though...

o.k. i don't DBT and ABXYZ or whatever they're called, but did roughly volume match with my Rat Shack analog SLM. i spent a few hours last night and today switching back and forth between the two DACs and my Pioneer and Oppo DVD players as transports, with the B22 and DT990/600ohm downstream.

keeping in mind that we have different tastes and listening habits, i prefer my hifi to reproduce the performance with prescence and drama. "hi-fi" artifacts like soundstaging, imagining, air etc are all subservient to the music. is it too much to ask for tone and timbre as well?

with the B22/DT990, the DAC1 is in comparison to the y-2:
-cooler, brighter, and analytical sounding.
-tonally, everything sounds a bit white and dry colored, with a focus on the treble and a sense of airiness. the y-2 has a wider tonal palatte and a very black background.
-dynamics are subdued but can be acceptable with a higher SPL.
-with volume matching, i had to crank the volume a bit more to get the front row perspective that the y-2 offers.
-as far as resolving power goes, i guess they're about equal, but would give the nod to the y-2 as it offers a more front row presentation and more presence. if treble is your bag, then you might disagree. i personally find the DAC1's treble hyped.
-musically, the DAC1 can be hit or miss with the B22/DT990. however, the y-2 doesn't dick around and gets to the meat on the bone. where a note on the DAC1 kind of fades away into nothing, there's a definite sonic envelope with the y-2. the beat can ebb and flow like a fine analog source, and i can say i don't miss my Basis TT anymore.

long story short, i prefer the y-2. thanks for putting up with my audiophile prose, but i should get some credo for using the pro-audio term "hyped"
icon10.gif

i think the DAC1 is a huge bargain and when paired properly, it's a lovely component. as much as it sounds like i'm slagging off the DAC1, i'm keeping it. it offers a different perspective that i want to have around. i love the Swiss Army knife appeal of it as well, offering balanced, pre vs. calibrated outputs, and an HP amp.

a HUGE thanks to Ti and Marshall!!!

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #55 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the great review, I can't wait to get mine now!
biggrin.gif

i hope you enjoy it as much as i do. the y-2 has elevated the bar for me, no matter what i pair it with.

the DAC1 has a different hi-fi focus - you're listening to recording that contains a music event. with the y-2, it's all about presence, tone/timbre, and music - and oddly enough, even with electronic and not just acoustic. i'm hearing things that the DAC1 doesn't focus on.

i have no idea what the y-2 costs pre-built, but i built mine bog-standard with the custom face-plates AMB sells. it has a compact but wonderful/easy to use interface.

i will throw the M3 into the mix soon. i think it will be a perfect pairing with my K271.

i also want to say that i think this DAC hasn't received the attention that it deserves.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #56 of 185
I could not agree more. I am surprised is not more widely known. I really like mine. Definitely a great bargain and excellent sound. AMB states it can "stand proudly" amongst DAC's in the 1K range. I believe him.
One concern I have is that the DAC1 is supposed to be completely neutral, and if you say the gamma-2 sounds different, does it mean it imparts its own coloration to the music?
To me the gamma-2 sounds very neutral.
Some people took my own review to mean is only slightly better than the Compass. It is definitely better, but I think when it comes to a certain level, the differences are subtle (yet satisfying and worthwhile).

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #59 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could not agree more. I am surprised is not more widely known. I really like mine. Definitely a great bargain and excellent sound. AMB states it can "stand proudly" amongst DAC's in the 1K range. I believe him.
One concern I have is that the DAC1 is supposed to be completely neutral, and if you say the gamma-2 sounds different, does it mean it imparts its own coloration to the music?
To me the gamma-2 sounds very neutral.
Some people took my own review to mean is only slightly better than the Compass. It is definitely better, but I think when it comes to a certain level, the differences are subtle (yet satisfying and worthwhile).

i don't believe in an "absolute neutrality". i also don't want to infer that the the y-2 is "adding" coloration with a particular gross or glossed over frequency response - it's seemless top to bottom. with my ancillaries, it's picking up info in the digital pits that i don't get with the DAC1 - detailed tone and timbre with the ability to carry a tune. the y-2/B22 is a wonderful combo.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #60 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't believe in an "absolute neutrality". i also don't want to infer that the the y-2 is "adding" coloration with a particular gross or glossed over frequency response - it's seemless top to bottom. with my ancillaries, it's picking up info in the digital pits that i don't get with the DAC1 - detailed tone and timbre with the ability to carry a tune. the y-2/B22 is a wonderful combo.

Speaking of which, could you post your impressions of the y2/M^3 pairing in comparison to the y2/B22 when you get the chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back