AMB Gamma2 DAC sound impressions?
Jan 22, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #61 of 185
I bought two gamma 2 DACs last month from MisterX. I gave one to a friend to compare to his Valab (stock) but he won't give it back. I had been using my gamma (1) for my desktop and had planned on a Buffalo build to the balanced inputs on my powered monitors but . . .

I am so pleased with the gamma 2, I am in no hurry to change anything. Black background, detailed, neutral, musical with a deep and realistic soundstage. Congratuations, AMB and MisterX. I have no hesitation recommending the Gamma 2 and have. IMHO and of course, YMMV.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #62 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of which, could you post your impressions of the y2/M^3 pairing in comparison to the y2/B22 when you get the chance?

x2.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #63 of 185
I haven't visited my own thread in a while! Fishski13, thank you for the long and detailed review. I thank everyone else who has posted their impressions. I hope this thread continues to have legs for a while. I have a Misical Fidelity V-Dac on the way. Next up will be the Gamma2 to compare.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #64 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2.
biggrin.gif

i'll throw the M3 into the mix tomorrow.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #65 of 185
this little DAC continues to deliver the goods. it's really, really good via USB signal and/or USB power as well as SPDIF via a cheap dvd player and o-11 PS. it's a keeper and with more time listening, with my listening habits, i much prefer it to the DAC1.

ok...y-2 + B22(3channel) and M3.

irregardless if the DAC1 or y-2 is fronting either amp, the amp has a sonic imprint. the B22 has a more present mid-range and overall detail and transparency. the mid-range and "air" are reduced with the M3, but it's bass is bigger and warmer, albeit slower than the B22. dynamics are equal. any preferences will be based on individual listening habits and the headphones used.

i've not heard the K601 sound better than with the y-2/M3 combo. it gives the light-handed AKG's a needed goose in the bass, warmth, and dynamics. but i prefer the DT990 and K271 with the y-2/B22. both need the extra mid-range emphasis and presence that the B22 offers.

if you value vocals above all else and need absolute transparency and "thereness", the B22/K601 will deliver. i'm currently listening to Verdi-Rigoletto - it sounds amazing...

B0000041Q2.jpg

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #67 of 185
I generally dislike giving listening impressions because my audio memory is terrible. And while I can pick up static, clipping and distortion pretty easily, my sense of tone and detail generally sucks arse. I like building things and having cool technology; good listening is just a bonus.

But sitting here listening to my Cake's Motorcade of Generosity on y2/MiniMax/ESW9...... it is pretty damn special. It just nails everything, and I don't ever recall the y1 sounding nearly this good.

And as far as I'm concerned, you don't need a fancy power supply either. I can't find anything lacking when just using USB power. But then again, my computer is a fairly high end laptop which is much less likely to have noise issues than a cheap desktop PC.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #68 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as far as I'm concerned, you don't need a fancy power supply either. I can't find anything lacking when just using USB power. But then again, my computer is a fairly high end laptop which is much less likely to have noise issues than a cheap desktop PC.

i will be doing some more critical listening and PS comparisons after i place my next order with Digikey which will include a longer USB cable and wall-wart DC plug. so far, i have zero complaints with USB power.

yes, the y-2 is better than the y-1.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #70 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i will be doing some more critical listening and PS comparisons after i place my next order with Digikey which will include a longer USB cable and wall-wart DC plug. so far, i have zero complaints with USB power.

Critical listening and fast A/B comparisons are one thing...... there is always the question in my mind of whether people would know if somebody came in during the night, and secretly switched them over to USB power instead of the shiny, say, S11. I would bet 99.9% of people wouldn't notice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Beefy : How does the Y2 compare to buffalo DAC ?

They have never been in the same room, so I have nothing to report. My y2 took up residence as my work rig (upgrading the y1 that was there previously) as soon as it was functional.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #71 of 185
My Y2 is currently usb powered from my desktop. Yesterday night I noticed I get audible noise through it when a print job is sent to my laser printer.

This is odd since the laser printer is connected to my Media server which is cabled into my router. There is no shared connection other than power and the network cable. Either the interference is traveling through the power plug (both computer and printer are on the same circuit but not on the same plug), through the network cable, or just through the air...very odd.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #72 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by francisdemarte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Y2 is currently usb powered from my desktop. Yesterday night I noticed I get audible noise through it when a print job is sent to my laser printer.

This is odd since the laser printer is connected to my Media server which is cabled into my router. There is no shared connection other than power and the network cable. Either the interference is traveling through the power plug (both computer and printer are on the same circuit but not on the same plug), through the network cable, or just through the air...very odd.

A Laser printer has a HUGE turn-on surge that will cause you mains power to dip a good bit. This could effect your usb power. Mine does not, however the lights differently dim every time I print.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #73 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have never been in the same room, so I have nothing to report. My y2 took up residence as my work rig (upgrading the y1 that was there previously) as soon as it was functional.

Come on Beefy...that's a pretty boring answer. Why not try to compare the two since you're one of the few who owns both?
popcorn.gif

Oh and thanks for the impressions fishki. Much appreciated.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #75 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on Beefy...that's a pretty boring answer. Why not try to compare the two since you're one of the few who owns both?
popcorn.gif

Oh and thanks for the impressions fishki. Much appreciated.

Dude you never compare your Wife to your Mistress. That is just rude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back