AMB Beta 22 & o22 Enclosures??
Apr 7, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1m80t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the guy already bought the betta 22 and sigma 22 so its too late.

If he spends his entire course on the beta22 and still can't get it to work at the end of the course, that would truly be too late.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he spends his entire course on the beta22 and still can't get it to work at the end of the course, that would truly be too late.

Yeah, i guess i wouldn't chance an intro level class with such a big project when an cmoy would work. Oh well, good luck

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #48 of 60
I bought two Par Metal chassis and it seems to be fine. Front Pannel Express says they can just take the rear and front plates and machine them for me for a pretty reasonable (I think) price.

I used the designs by AMB, and modified them for my 3-channel configuration. I think my solution has been found, though I will come back if I have any additional questions.

Thanks for everybody's help!

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #49 of 60
Are there any advantages to using FPE-supplied panels, rather than shipping the existing Par Metal panels to FPE? I'm curious as to why amb went for this option in the Krmathis build.

On another note, are the Krmathis-build FPE designs in the public domain? I'd be interested in having a look at them. Earlier in this thread, alwayshungry suggested that they were, but my thread searching skills are letting me down.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #50 of 60
ParMetal does not have the same type of panels.

1) AMB's design uses 6mm natural aluminum
2) Par-Metal usually supplies front and rear panels, you want 2x front panels to send to FPE

You can also do what I did, get the panels from FPE, but make sure that you only get the frame from ParMetal. Obviously ParMetal will charge you less for skipping panels and you save on shipping those to FPE.

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by sid_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note, are the Krmathis-build FPE designs in the public domain? I'd be interested in having a look at them. Earlier in this thread, alwayshungry suggested that they were, but my thread searching skills are letting me down.

Probable these: Head-Fi: View Single Post - Let's build Krmathis a Beta22!

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #52 of 60
One thing to note is that you don't necessarily save money by sending your own panels in for machining. Even though you save the material cost, FPE charges an extra fee for customer-supplied material, so depending on the panel size and thickness, you may or may not come out ahead.

Also, as FallenAngel pointed out, with FPE you can have thicker-than-stock panels made. The FPD software lets you specify only up to 4mm thick, but some panel colors are available in thicker variants, even up to 10mm. See the FPE website for details. You provide special instructions in FPD's "Front Panel Properties" window "Remarks for production" field.

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #53 of 60
If are using the standard 3mm panels supplied from Par-Metal. This is also worth considering....

Most laser-cutting companies can do the cut outs. You can supply them a pdf, eps or ai file with exact dimensions at 100% scale.

Remember to double check all your socket and hole sizes with the components tech specs.

Unless you using super thick aluminum, engraving or special needs like the Krmathis build there really is no point using FPE IMO.

The cost would be a lot less than FPE I should imagine. There’s probably a company in your local area as well.

Apr 23, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #54 of 60
Par Metals does offer a 3/16" (4.76mm) panel. They used to offer 1/4" IIRC (I'll have to measure mine) but I don't see that as an option anymore. I've never seen FPE's anodize quality in person, so I can't comment there. ParMetals clear isn't bad, but I have heard their black anodize isn't so hot.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Par Metals does offer a 3/16" (4.76mm) panel. They used to offer 1/4" IIRC (I'll have to measure mine) but I don't see that as an option anymore. I've never seen FPE's anodize quality in person, so I can't comment there. ParMetals clear isn't bad, but I have heard their black anodize isn't so hot.

The clear isn't that amazing and it scratches easily and shows fingerprints. I imagine the black is just that much worse. I did order a painted case to see how they look. If it sucks I am just going to break out my HVLP and get crazy with some House of Kolor.

Apr 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The lady on the phone told me that they didn't have the 1/4" panels anymore(about 3 odd months ago).
I have a black anodized case on the way, I'll see how it turns out. I didn't really care for the gold case last time as the panels were scratched a little when I opened it up. I think next time I'll just go with the case and do something else for panels(maybe someone local).

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clear isn't that amazing and it scratches easily and shows fingerprints. I imagine the black is just that much worse. I did order a painted case to see how they look. If it sucks I am just going to break out my HVLP and get crazy with some House of Kolor.

The only case I have done with them was clear anodize for the entire thing. It is probably 3 years old, and the anodize quality doesn't seem too bad (I don't recall fingerprints being a problem), so maybe they have gone downhill (further)? The gold that digger is talking about must be the alodine finish.

Apr 23, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #58 of 60
Yes gold alodine. I would buy the chassis again maybe but I think next time I'll just roll my own like naamanf said. I have had good success experimenting with some different paints/finishes/anodise looking sprays.

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #60 of 60
I had some issues with machining scratches from ParMetal. I had to selectively pick the best sides for my panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back