AMB Beta 22 & o22 Enclosures??
Apr 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DIY1712 chassis from DIY Enclosures LLC is a much more attractive alternative to the Par Metals case. You can fit both the 3 amplifier boards, the power supply board and a few extras with careful layout.

I sent that guy inquiries about his 1013 enclosure over a month ago, sent it at three different times to both his email and the web submission link. I have yet to receive a supply. Is he even remotely trustworthy?

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DouglasQuaid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sent that guy inquiries about his 1013 enclosure over a month ago, sent it at three different times to both his email and the web submission link. I have yet to receive a supply. Is he even remotely trustworthy?

He is liquidating what's left of his stock. And forget about DIY1712 chassis this one is soldout since many months.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #19 of 60
> He is liquidating what's left of his stock. And forget about DIY1712 chassis this one is soldout since many months.
may have selected little 0610s + 0908s left based on his (old) posts

Perhaps cheapest way to go is to "re-purpose" something remotely the proper size as others said... Occasionally something pops up on fleabay but watch shipping, etc. Maybe a relative or acquaintance has some big old something or other.

But in the end, this amp deserves something respectable. And you might regret skimping enough to re-case it anyway. Keep MoodySteve's shielding/2-case bit in mind.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #20 of 60
This is a perfect example not taking your time to read through the build threads(yes, the ones with thousands of posts) and AMB's website.

This is a complex build requiring knowledge and patience as well as some deep pockets!

Maybe you could consider resseling the boards for cost and buying a CK2III kit instead, which as far more simple enclosure requirements.

My 0.02€

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 2 Par-Metals cases will be about $150 shipped and the front/rear panels are $400 on top of it. That's not including stepped attenuator, wiring, connectors, etc.

$400 panels... no wonder people are saying it costs $1500 to build a B22...

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

My 2 Par-Metals cases will be about $150 shipped and the front/rear panels are $400 on top of it. That's not including stepped attenuator, wiring, connectors, etc.

Hey FallenAngel,
I ordered my Par-Metal 20s this week also but haven't finalized the details of my front/rear panels yet. Can you tell me what you are doing that is costing $400 for the panels? Thanks.

Aman,
if you want to find some front/rear panel layouts that others have done as a guide, check out

JohnWMClean's Beta 22

KRMathis Beta 22

as there are shop-ready panel layouts in those threads.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #23 of 60
Well, the cookies cost me about $15.
atsmile.gif
And the ikea shelf that I scavenged the board from probably cost me $50. Of course, I ate the cookies and the majority of the shelf is still in use.

Ultimately, it just killed me to spend so much on casework when the sound is what really matters. Of course, I love all the cool casework that people do out there, I just can't justify the cost for myself. That being said, I just ordered a bunch of parts for an M3/S11 build and I "splurged" on two $30 Hammond cases. The main reason there though, is that I'm really only building it for fun and to compare against the Beta when it's done. Then I plan is to sell it and my guess is that it would likely not sell very easily in a couple cookie tins. Could be wrong though... maybe folks would rather buy a cookie tin M3 for $60 less than a Hammond M3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might hold the record for the lowest cost beta22.. I've been wondering what the lower limit might be, and I think you hit it, since your casing cost was basically zero..

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey FallenAngel,
I ordered my Par-Metal 20s this week also but haven't finalized the details of my front/rear panels yet. Can you tell me what you are doing that is costing $400 for the panels? Thanks.

My build is actually going to be VERY similar to the Krmathis build
smily_headphones1.gif
I used it as a starting point, changed/removed some text, made cutout holes different for my jacks and sent it off for processing - that's $400.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #25 of 60
Quote:

My build is actually going to be VERY similar to the Krmathis build
smily_headphones1.gif
I used it as a starting point, changed/removed some text, made cutout holes different for my jacks and sent it off for processing - that's $400.
wink.gif

I may be in for a rude awakening when I get my quote then as I am doing something similar to you
biggrin.gif
I'm not fond of cutting corners or making compromises on this project but at $400 I may have to consider alternatives. I was going to pass on silkscreening (my enclosures are black anyways). Besides that, do you have any suggestions?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #26 of 60
Get an old broken amplifier from the 70's. Usually, you'll find those for like 10$. The back panel is already done (plenty of holes).

You just need to redo the front panel, which usually is removable on those things.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayshungry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be in for a rude awakening when I get my quote then as I am doing something similar to you
biggrin.gif
I'm not fond of cutting corners or making compromises on this project but at $400 I may have to consider alternatives. I was going to pass on silkscreening (my enclosures are black anyways). Besides that, do you have any suggestions?

Yeah, one suggestion - FrontPanelExpress does not have 6mm black aluminum panels, they only have 4mm, order accordingly.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #28 of 60
no one's suggested this yet, but i saw some photos of a local meet where the builder just brought the circuit sans any casing.

I also know someone who has all his audio equipment laid out neatly on a table, without any casing. If you are careful and will not transport it why not!

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by hansel_ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one's suggested this yet, but i saw some photos of a local meet where the builder just brought the circuit sans any casing.

I also know someone who has all his audio equipment laid out neatly on a table, without any casing. If you are careful and will not transport it why not!

because that is dangerous.

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #30 of 60
Well if this is just for a class what you could do is get a single sheet of aluminum or plastic or wood, get the stand offs you need for your boards. Then drill and tap the sheet for the standoffs (this is really easy and only requires a hand drill and a single tap). I would make some effort to protect the mains and transformer wiring from stray fingers and then it should be fairly safe. All the other wiring is low voltage, so is not dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back