AMB Beta 22 & o22 Enclosures??
Apr 1, 2009 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought the AMB Beta 22 3-channel active ground kit from GlassJarAudio, as well as the accompanying AMB labs power supply kit (o22?), and am at the point where I need to start worrying about enclosures and other parts not provided by the kit.

This is my first serious DIY project, and am now completely lost. I have absolutely zero machining skills, and do not wish to learn how to machine my own panels and enclosures at the moment. The kit did not come with any chassis or panels, so I'm being forced to look for other options.

What are my options as far as enclosures are concerned? I don't want to do any machining or drilling myself, and would ultimately prefer to not even have to design the layout either. Is there any service that will simply make me the enclosures and designs that I need for a fee, perhaps?

Anyway, I'm extremely ambiguous and vague, but I don't have any concept of my options at all. Any help would be largely appreciated!

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 60
Hate to tell you this but you kinda choose the wrong DIY project based on your requirements of the chassis.

From what I have read most builders say that at least 50% of the cost and time is spent on the enclosure.

You can get away with a cheap case, however you will need to at least be able to drill holes and tap. Neither of those require much skill, while easier to do with a drill press it is not impossible to use a hand drill.

Layout is also going to be very important, you do not want your power transformers right next to your line level inputs! AMB recommends a two chassis system with the PSU in a separate enclosure.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 60
If you don't want to do any drilling whatsoever, probably ship your populated boards to someone to build it for you. Otherwise probably buy the par-metal series 20 like everyone else does, since that'll be easiest.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 60
Also check out amb's site for examples of built B22's. Before long mine will be finished and I'll be posting pics of it, and I'm sure you can find many other examples on this site to spur your imagination. For layout, you can just copy someone else's build.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 60
Well, I could theoretically buy two of those par-metal series 20 chassis' and then send them off to get machined for me, right? Then all I'd have to do is design the front and rear panels... probably could go with front panel express?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first serious DIY project, and am now completely lost. I have absolutely zero machining skills, and do not wish to learn how to machine my own panels and enclosures at the moment. The kit did not come with any chassis or panels, so I'm being forced to look for other options.

I sincerely hope that the above statement is an april fools joke. Otherwise your option is to open your wallet, hope you find a lot of money inside, and get ready to pay someone to do it for you.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sincerely hope that the above statement is an april fools joke. Otherwise your option is to open your wallet, hope you find a lot of money inside, and get ready to pay someone to do it for you.

Hah! Sorry to say, it is not.

I'm building this kit for an entry-level electrical engineering class, actually, and thought I might as well design something that I could use in my day-to-day life. So, it was not intended to be an april fools joke!
biggrin.gif

I know there are a lot of companies which provide machining and design services for projects like this - would it not be feasible to simply design the layouts myself and then send off the chassis' for them to work with?

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 60
Quote:

Well, I could theoretically buy two of those par-metal series 20 chassis' and then send them off to get machined for me, right? Then all I'd have to do is design the front and rear panels... probably could go with front panel express?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

That would be very expensive and you would still have to provide detailed layout in some form. I.E. a CAD diagram of what to do, which may end up being harder for you. Also if you mess up the diagram then you either pay more to have the fix your mess up or you fix it yourself which if you can do that you could have done the whole thing.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be very expensive and you would still have to provide detailed layout in some form. I.E. a CAD diagram of what to do, which may end up being harder for you. Also if you mess up the diagram then you either pay more to have the fix your mess up or you fix it yourself which if you can do that you could have done the whole thing.

Man... how much would you really be talking about price-wise?

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 60
Aman,

If you want to go relatively easy and very cheap, you can do what I did and find a couple appropriately sized cookie tins for your enclosures. (See my sig.)

If you're interested, let me know and I can provide details. Granted, it's not fancy, but I actually like that it's unique, functional, and a bit quirky. Also, I figure if I ever really want to, I can just recase them later on if I want a more professional look. In the meantime, I'll enjoy my awesome sounding beta22 that cost me barely over $500.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Man... how much would you really be talking about price-wise?

Much more than the parts you have purchased so far.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the meantime, I'll enjoy my awesome sounding beta22 that cost me barely over $500.

You might hold the record for the lowest cost beta22.. I've been wondering what the lower limit might be, and I think you hit it, since your casing cost was basically zero..

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 60
The DIY1712 chassis from DIY Enclosures LLC is a much more attractive alternative to the Par Metals case. You can fit both the 3 amplifier boards, the power supply board and a few extras with careful layout.

I'd highly suggest getting a shielded/encapsulated transformer if you go this route (will be about $40-50 more than the transformer that you would need, but you'll save the cost of one chassis).

PM me if you'd like me to send a copy of my layout your way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back