Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Jan 18, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #1,111 of 2,016
What kind of battery life are you getting in that combination? I'm only getting around 4-5 hours Balanced->LDAC, which is probably about right by Fiio's estimate but I would have liked a bit more say 5-6h
Not run more than 4hrs without a recharge and think it showed 30% remaining. SE846's only need volume at ~19 on low gain.

Jan 19, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,112 of 2,016
Hey, is anybody using Amazon HD on Android? I have a HiBy R5 and on that unit I get into a mode fairly easily where no music will play until the app checks in with Amazon to see if it authorized. Seems like you should be able to go for at least a week before that should happen; and sometimes it happens within hours. Any thoughts?

It also seems like Amazon updates the Android app far less often than on IOS. I wonder why that would be?

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,113 of 2,016
i finally pulled the plug on amazon hd and went back to spotify. unlike many here i actually like the sound quality on amazon and found the catalog to be around 95% as comprehensive as spotify. however, the lack of playlists, radio stations and meaningful recommendations were deal killers for me--there's no new discovery and i found myself compelled to choose music with which i'm already familiar.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #1,114 of 2,016
I also just quit Amazon Music and went back to Deezer.
Amazon Music has a 'radio' feature which is what I use 95% of the time, I don't want to spend time searching for songs or playlists to curate, I want to press one 'radio' button and have it play a variety of music tailored for me. Amazon Music started out well but over time kept playing the same set of songs over and over like it was a finite playlist instead of a true 'radio' feature.

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #1,116 of 2,016
i finally pulled the plug on amazon hd and went back to spotify. unlike many here i actually like the sound quality on amazon and found the catalog to be around 95% as comprehensive as spotify. however, the lack of playlists, radio stations and meaningful recommendations were deal killers for me--there's no new discovery and i found myself compelled to choose music with which i'm already familiar.

Unfortunately, this is the only reason keeping me from going to all the other services with better quality audio. None can recommend music to me as consistently as Spotify, its unfortunate :worried:

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #1,117 of 2,016
Unfortunately, this is the only reason keeping me from going to all the other services with better quality audio. None can recommend music to me as consistently as Spotify, its unfortunate :worried:

I use a music related internet search for that and then play the music I find in either Tidal or Amazon music, works well for me but I can understand why its not for everybody.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #1,118 of 2,016
Just tried then immediately quit Amazon HD. Sound quality is pretty bad. And it's hard to justify giving Amazon more money. Although I do like having all the music from all the records I've bought over the years right there digitally and already added to my music.

Did anyone else experience some weird chirping sound at the beginning of every new song? It was this odd artifacting noise I've heard before in other places, happened on every new song play. Very off-putting.

Oh well. I'll stick with Qobuz for now. Sounds the best by far IMO, even though their app is hot garbage and there's basically no recommendation system at all.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,119 of 2,016
Just tried then immediately quit Amazon HD. Sound quality is pretty bad. And it's hard to justify giving Amazon more money. Although I do like having all the music from all the records I've bought over the years right there digitally and already added to my music.

Did anyone else experience some weird chirping sound at the beginning of every new song? It was this odd artifacting noise I've heard before in other places, happened on every new song play. Very off-putting.

Oh well. I'll stick with Qobuz for now. Sounds the best by far IMO, even though their app is hot garbage and there's basically no recommendation system at all.

I used Amazon HD for four months and never had those chirping sounds (I have had many other issues though). I recently downgraded back to Amazon Music Unlimited (I was using this before Amazon Music HD) because I like the Alexa/HEOS integration and Qobuz, which is what I use for myself, does not have music for toddlers.

I really wanted to like Amazon Music HD but got fed up because I kept finding songs on my playlists that were replaced with instrumental versions (previously working properly and not even labeled as an instrumental/singalong version) and I never got the offline download portion to work properly. Hopefully they can work out the kinks as I really did like having access to the larger streaming catalog Amazon offers but it is not worth the extra money if it does not work properly and causes more aggravation than enjoyment.

btw...for recommendations, you can always use something like soundiiz to import playlists from other platforms to Qobuz.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,120 of 2,016
I used Amazon HD for four months and never had those chirping sounds (I have had many other issues though). I recently downgraded back to Amazon Music Unlimited (I was using this before Amazon Music HD) because I like the Alexa/HEOS integration and Qobuz, which is what I use for myself, does not have music for toddlers.

I really wanted to like Amazon Music HD but got fed up because I kept finding songs on my playlists that were replaced with instrumental versions (previously working properly and not even labeled as an instrumental/singalong version) and I never got the offline download portion to work properly. Hopefully they can work out the kinks as I really did like having access to the larger streaming catalog Amazon offers but it is not worth the extra money if it does not work properly and causes more aggravation than enjoyment.

btw...for recommendations, you can always use something like soundiiz to import playlists from other platforms to Qobuz.

Music for toddler is exactly why I still have a Spotify subscription too.

Thanks for the soundiiz suggestion, I think I'll check that out.

Feb 15, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,123 of 2,016
I also just quit Amazon Music and went back to Deezer.
Amazon Music has a 'radio' feature which is what I use 95% of the time, I don't want to spend time searching for songs or playlists to curate, I want to press one 'radio' button and have it play a variety of music tailored for me. Amazon Music started out well but over time kept playing the same set of songs over and over like it was a finite playlist instead of a true 'radio' feature.

I have Deezer hifi and the sound quality is fine but the paging has been broken on the Windows app for months. The UI is essentially unusable... are you using a tablet or phone? I'm almost ready to cancel Deezer. I don't use anything from scamazon.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #1,124 of 2,016
I just took the plunge and signed up for the trial to find out Amazon music HD still can't directly communicate with DACs! This is just unreal to not have WASAPI or ASIO exclusive, (and CoreAudio support if you're on a MAC). Why in the world would anyone want hires music that's going to have its bitstream mangled by the operating system mixer via SRC? Or have to manually change sample rates? Or have to put up with system sounds interrupting their listening? Android, I get it - you're stuck with the mixer. But on a Mac or PC? C'mon!

The price is right, and selection is great, no doubt. But this amateur hour crap from one of the worlds largest multinational conglomerates is beyond off-putting. I simply can't comprehend how they haven't incorporated correct computer support as of yet.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #1,125 of 2,016
I have Deezer hifi and the sound quality is fine but the paging has been broken on the Windows app for months. The UI is essentially unusable... are you using a tablet or phone? I'm almost ready to cancel Deezer. I don't use anything from scamazon.
For Windows PC use I use the Deezer webpage because it does HiFi (***as far as I know, the Deezer Windows App doesn't do HiFi, unless that has changed recently***). For portable use I use phone with the Android Deezer App.
Both (the Windows webpage, and Android App) have always worked properly for me.

*** I had that backwards, the Windows app offered HiFi first and recently HiFi was added to the web player.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back