Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Jan 5, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,081 of 2,016
Fiio M6 works as it should.
It does not resemble. I use it in line out mode to my Arcam headphone amp

The Fiio M9 also doesn't appear to resample, (although the light color for 96kHz and 192 kHz is the same so...) and it seems to transmit the native rate digitally to the dac I have that has a readout of sample rate. The app correctly reports the M9 as being capable of up to 192kHz, which of course is the highest rate the app is capable of streaming. On the desktop app with a W10 pc, it does not up sample to 192kHz, but what it does do (because of the lack of "exclusive " mode) is force one to go through the windows audio stack which results in resampling to match whatever is chosen as the sample rate in the audio control panel in Windows. None of this means anything is "bit-perfect" which is something I cannot measure regardless of sample rate.

As a practical matter, the hardware in the M9 is barely capable of streaming, although Tidal works better than Amazon. This is presumably a result of the reduced data rate required by MQA (which, if I understand it, means that it maxes out at approximately that of redbook, vs the native rates of Amazon's catalog.) This would also explain why the M9 will stream and play up to 96 kHz without many problems, but struggles with 192kHz material with artifacts and buffering, and my network is pretty robust. If streaming, especially Amazon or Qobuz, is one's primary use-case, I wouldn't recommend the M9, although Spotify probably works fine, though I haven't tried it. Thankfully, streaming isn't my primary use, and I think it is excellent for local file playback.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,082 of 2,016
I have read a lot/most of the thread, and what I don't understand, (as a computer geek) is why anyone would use a Windows PC to stream music? Unless you've all spent the money, time and effort to make your PC quiet. Mine sounds like a hurricane when it's running.

I have a Fractal Design Define Nano computer case, which cost me $65. It's less than 3 feet from where I sit, and I can't hear it. I have to put my ear a few inches from one of the side vents to hear it faintly.

Jan 5, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,083 of 2,016
The Fiio M9 also doesn't appear to resample, (although the light color for 96kHz and 192 kHz is the same so...) and it seems to transmit the native rate digitally to the dac I have that has a readout of sample rate. The app correctly reports the M9 as being capable of up to 192kHz, which of course is the highest rate the app is capable of streaming. On the desktop app with a W10 pc, it does not up sample to 192kHz, but what it does do (because of the lack of "exclusive " mode) is force one to go through the windows audio stack which results in resampling to match whatever is chosen as the sample rate in the audio control panel in Windows. None of this means anything is "bit-perfect" which is something I cannot measure regardless of sample rate.

As a practical matter, the hardware in the M9 is barely capable of streaming, although Tidal works better than Amazon. This is presumably a result of the reduced data rate required by MQA (which, if I understand it, means that it maxes out at approximately that of redbook, vs the native rates of Amazon's catalog.) This would also explain why the M9 will stream and play up to 96 kHz without many problems, but struggles with 192kHz material with artifacts and buffering, and my network is pretty robust. If streaming, especially Amazon or Qobuz, is one's primary use-case, I wouldn't recommend the M9, although Spotify probably works fine, though I haven't tried it. Thankfully, streaming isn't my primary use, and I think it is excellent for local file playback.

I don't have any issues streaming at 192 KHz on the M6

Jan 5, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #1,084 of 2,016
I don't have any issues streaming at 192 KHz on the M6
I get buffering after about 1-2 minutes of a song, and then it takes at least 20-30 seconds to restart, if it does at all. It has never happened with 96 kHz or below. Ironically, it got worse after installing the latest update to the app. I went back to the previous version, and it improved , but the last time I tried it, it still buffered mid-song. I have actually encountered very few albums at 192 kHz in Amazon's catalog anyway, so not a big deal. As a practical matter, I don't have a data plan I could use to access the Web on a dap via a 4/5G cellular network (in fact I don't even know how that would work without a sim card for the dap), and at home I can use one of my pcs and the desktop app, which work perfectly. I would think that the M9 would be better than the M6, including for streaming, but apparently I would be wrong.

Jan 5, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #1,085 of 2,016
Hiby R6/R6 Pro and iBasso DX220 can stream with the Amazon HD app, but do they resample? Are they bit perfect? Are there others?

Fiio M6 works as it should.
It does not resample. I use it in line out mode to my Arcam headphone amp

What I've found so far...

The Hiby R5/R6/R6 Pro, Cayin N6ii/N8 and all recent Fiio Android DAPs are able to bypass the Android audio limitation. I think for streaming apps as well. iBasso DX220 does bypass the audio limitation, but I am not sure about streaming apps. Hiby, Cayin and iBasso user experience with the Amazon HD app seems to be 44.1 output only. This seems like an Amazon app issue. Although, I've come across two users who say their R5 does Amazon HD with 'bit-perfect' output.

According to Fiio all recent Android DAPs bypass the Android audio limitation for all audio including all audio streaming apps. They recently released a firmware update to the M11/M11 Pro that fixes the Amazon HD app not playing issue. So the M6/M9 don't appear to 'resample'. I don't know about the M11/M11Pro yet. Will the M15...

The Sony NW-ZX500/A105 are limited by Android audio with the Amazon HD app and all other apps. Sony confirms that only their custom player bypasses the Android audio system. There is a question about whether UAPP is actually bit-perfect on the new Sony models.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,086 of 2,016
I believe that Shanling M6 and the HiBy R5, R6, and R6 pro all have system wide capabilities of bypassing the Android 24 bit 48khz limit. I am using Amazon HD on the HiBy R5 and with the latest firmware update the app runs correctly. The key point here is that the system wide bypass of Android limits was only available if you have the latest firmware update.

iBasso and FIIO may also do this; but HiBy and Shanling have confirmed this operation whereas I did not confirm it with the other vendors. I have heard various misgivings about the wifi performance of certain FIIO and iBasso units. Since that is the only way to get Amazon HD files into the machines I focused on vendors where I did not see concerns about wifi. I must admit the FIIO M6 was appealing due to its modest price point and I was/am tempted to own it for the purpose of leaving it full time in my car.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,087 of 2,016
I get buffering after about 1-2 minutes of a song, and then it takes at least 20-30 seconds to restart, if it does at all. It has never happened with 96 kHz or below. Ironically, it got worse after installing the latest update to the app. I went back to the previous version, and it improved , but the last time I tried it, it still buffered mid-song. I have actually encountered very few albums at 192 kHz in Amazon's catalog anyway, so not a big deal. As a practical matter, I don't have a data plan I could use to access the Web on a dap via a 4/5G cellular network (in fact I don't even know how that would work without a sim card for the dap), and at home I can use one of my pcs and the desktop app, which work perfectly. I would think that the M9 would be better than the M6, including for streaming, but apparently I would be wrong.

I did search out a few 192 KHz albums to test the M6 and they all worked fine. Took maybe 2 seconds to start playback.

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #1,088 of 2,016
Just quickly found and played this no problem.

IMG_20200106_194605.jpg

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #1,089 of 2,016
What I've found so far...

The Hiby R5/R6/R6 Pro, Cayin N6ii/N8 and all recent Fiio Android DAPs are able to bypass the Android audio limitation. I think for streaming apps as well. iBasso DX220 does bypass the audio limitation, but I am not sure about streaming apps. Hiby, Cayin and iBasso user experience with the Amazon HD app seems to be 44.1 output only. This seems like an Amazon app issue. Although, I've come across two users who say their R5 does Amazon HD with 'bit-perfect' output.

According to Fiio all recent Android DAPs bypass the Android audio limitation for all audio including all audio streaming apps. They recently released a firmware update to the M11/M11 Pro that fixes the Amazon HD app not playing issue. So the M6/M9 don't appear to 'resample'. I don't know about the M11/M11Pro yet. Will the M15...

The Sony NW-ZX500/A105 are limited by Android audio with the Amazon HD app and all other apps. Sony confirms that only their custom player bypasses the Android audio system. There is a question about whether UAPP is actually bit-perfect on the new Sony models.

Cayin N6ii does not currently work properly, according to the sample rate indicator in the status bar everything is played at 192K. Not ideal but I suppose its better than the way it works for some devices.

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,091 of 2,016
DAP recommendations

Now that Amazon Music HD has been out awhile with their software updates and software/firmware updates from the DAP suppliers it may be time to get a new DAP. In addition to audio quality, the main things I'm looking for in the ideal DAP include:

Amazon Music HD for Ultra HD streaming
- support for up to 192/24 with no down/up sampling
- accurate display of the quality of the track being played (e.g. 192/24, 96/24, 44.1/16, etc.)

4.4mm balanced outputs for wired headphones
LDAC, aptX HD for HD bluetooth headphones
OTA software & firmware updates

Price less than $1500 USD

Any suggestions that meet or come close to this spec appreciated.

Randy

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,092 of 2,016
DAP recommendations

Now that Amazon Music HD has been out awhile with their software updates and software/firmware updates from the DAP suppliers it may be time to get a new DAP. In addition to audio quality, the main things I'm looking for in the ideal DAP include:

Amazon Music HD for Ultra HD streaming
- support for up to 192/24 with no down/up sampling
- accurate display of the quality of the track being played (e.g. 192/24, 96/24, 44.1/16, etc.)

4.4mm balanced outputs for wired headphones
LDAC, aptX HD for HD bluetooth headphones
OTA software & firmware updates

Price less than $1500 USD

Any suggestions that meet or come close to this spec appreciated.

Randy

Doesn't exist with Amazon Music HD at present. Consider Qobuz or Tidal instead.

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,093 of 2,016
Thanks for the reply.

I already have Amazon Music HD working on my home theater system. I also have a mobile solution working using a iPod 7 with an external FiiO Q5 dac but it is more bulky than a dedicated DAP and I can't use wireless headphones.

Maybe nothing is available yet so I may continue to wait or compromise on my ideal spec.

Randy

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #1,094 of 2,016

I strongly disagree. The HiBy R5 is $300 right now on Amazon via MusicTeck. Does pretty much what was asked for with Amazon HD.
FIIO has a number of machines that have similar specs and the Shanling M6 is still evolving but should do everything on that list. iBasso is also a contender.

I own the R5 and it takes a bit of getting used to but does pretty much everything that was requested. Just to clarify; I do in fact use it with Amazon HD. Sorry it does not cost 5x as much however. I know good values are a problem....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back