Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Jan 2, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #1,066 of 2,016
.... and what I don't understand, (as a computer geek) is why anyone would use a Windows PC to stream music?... Mine sounds like a hurricane when it's running.
I use an HDMI cable to connect my Windows PC to my Onkyo AVR. My Windows PC is not loud and it is located in a separate room.

Then there are the issues (presumably the "exclusive mode" people are talking about) with the Windows kernel not being a true task switching system, etc.
I couldn't tell from your post, are you getting bit perfect streaming using your Android phone (you mention UAPP but that app doesn't work with Amazon HD music)?

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,068 of 2,016
For the person that has a noisy pc, my question is how old is it? Usually a can of compressed air can do a world of good for the various fans in a PC. I personally upgraded the power supply to a quiet unit; also put in a quiet system fan and replaced the video card with fanless unit.

The result: a reasonably quiet unit.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,069 of 2,016
Wondering if anybody can check for me - is Amazon Music still resampling everything to ~192khz? Thank you!

Depends on the platform. On IOS; yes as far as I know. Windows 10? Unclear but probably. Android; seems to be related to the firmware in your phone or DAP. Some newer DAP units can bypass Android audio limits and those may well be bit perfect.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #1,071 of 2,016
For the person that has a noisy pc, my question is how old is it? Usually a can of compressed air can do a world of good for the various fans in a PC. I personally upgraded the power supply to a quiet unit; also put in a quiet system fan and replaced the video card with fanless unit.

The result: a reasonably quiet unit.

Agree. My old PC was developing a noise issue and it turned out the video card fan was the culprit. I replaced the video card with a cheap model that still had a fan and it was still pretty quiet and lasted me a few more years. I finally replaced that desktop PC which was over 9 years old last year with a new Windows desktop (i7-9700k CPU and RTX 2060 video card) and it is dead silent (it came with an all-in-one liquid cooling system which you only really hear when it boots up and a 750W platinum efficiency PSU which probably helps) and cost me < $1,500 shipped. Once I got it, I did upgrade the RAM and added a 2TB SSD for another $400 but that wouldn't have helped with noise. It is in our bedroom and we have to check the light to see if it is on. Technology has advanced quite a bit and if you find some good deals, you can get a good system without spending thousands..

Now if only Amazon would enable exclusive mode....

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #1,073 of 2,016
What makes your PC so noisy? Did you build your own gaming PC? I have both Mac and PC laptops, and both are quiet. Most desktop PCs I've encountered lately are also quiet.

Watercooling on medium high to keep my OC below 60 Degrees, though most computers make noise, especially if you have a modern GPU, the new Nvidia 20x series is especially bad at injecting system noise and distortion to the ground rail. That said there is much about modern audio that I do not understand. Like the fascination with gapless streaming. I always figured the gasp were part of the experience. Using a PC, you're also going to need an interface. Unless you splurge for an automation product etc. Meanwhile you have a phone. One you can take anywhere, which comes with a GUI, and doesn't have the issues that the PC platform has. Odd.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #1,074 of 2,016
What makes your PC so noisy? Did you build your own gaming PC? I have both Mac and PC laptops, and both are quiet. Most desktop PCs I've encountered lately are also quiet.

Bugger, replied to the wrong message, this is what happens when you read the questions in email :) Though to the person who asked, yes I do use bit perfect in UAPP.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,075 of 2,016
Though to the person who asked, yes I do use bit perfect in UAPP.
As far as I know, UAPP doesn't support Amazon Music for bit perfect (Amazon doesn't allow it).

And gapless playback is a big part of some music where one track bleeds into the next without a gap.

And... when using my PC I can use my phone as the interface by using Remote Desktop, so I can control my PC from anywhere.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,077 of 2,016
there is much about modern audio that I do not understand. Like the fascination with gapless streaming. I always figured the gasp were part of the experience.
There are many albums where the audio should run continuously without interruption, such as complete live concerts and albums such as Pink Floyd The Wall. Played on a CD, the audio does run continuously on these albums even while crossing tracks. However, on some streaming services there is a gap between tracks that spoils the listening experience. An especially bad case is on classical works such as Mahler symphonies where a long movement may be split up into multiple tracks. The music will play continuously on a CD, but without gapless there are periodic interruptions in the middle of the music.

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,078 of 2,016
Hiby R6/R6 Pro and iBasso DX220 can stream with the Amazon HD app, but do they resample? Are they bit perfect? Are there others?

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #1,079 of 2,016
.... Then I discovered the updated Earstudio ES100 MK2. Allegedly the world's first Studio Quality 24bit Bluetooth receiver. ..AptX, LDAC ... That plays AmazonHD just fine. I do have UAPP with all the bells and whistles, but I have it route traffic to Bluetooth for better audio quality,..
You try to make it sound as if using Android mobile device with Bluetooth is better than PC because of PCs limitations (no exclusive mode), but do you understand that the highest quality available through Bluetooth is lossy 24bit/*94kHz (yes, a lossy signal... and yes, *94kHz, not 96kHz).

* EDIT: 94kHz seems like an odd rate to me, but I've seen it written as both 94 and 96kHz. I'll assume it is actually 96kHz.

Also, the OnePlus 7t phone only has AptX HD which is not the highest quality Bluetooth, it is "near CD quality." LDAC is the "higher quality" Bluetooth codec.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #1,080 of 2,016
Hiby R6/R6 Pro and iBasso DX220 can stream with the Amazon HD app, but do they resample? Are they bit perfect? Are there others?
Fiio M6 works as it should.
It does not resample. I use it in line out mode to my Arcam headphone amp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back