Amazing Bay Area Meet 2/19/11 Impressions Thread!
Mar 11, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #241 of 303
Head-Fiers... bunch of crackheads. 
tongue.gif

Obviously I couldn't wait for my fix! :xf_eek:

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #242 of 303
The only times I have EVER had to use"ROFL" have been because of comments on this thread...here is ROFL #2:

Quote:

Excuse me, as I need to drive to the pet store and punch a baby kitten right now. 

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #243 of 303
OK, I'm going to throw in a dissenting voice, or at least offer a topic for conversation. It  was nice to see all the beautiful gear and nice people having a good time at the show. However, I have noticed our hobby going increasingly down the sorry path of high-end audio. I watched with dismay as TAS (especially) and Stereophile (and others) corrupted what was once a fun hobby, turning it into a more-is-always-better $-swamp in which it became "normal" to see $100,000 turntables and half-million dollar speakers. I'm sorry, but that is absurd. Even moderately priced equipment got dragged along to ever higher pricing or fell by the wayside. Snake Oil made many people rich, and even people who knew better (e.g., some designers who were trained as electrical engineers) either went along or kept quiet. Harry Pearson could kill a product--sometimes even a small company--with one bad review. What I'm getting at is, I don't want to see this happen to our hobby. It was largely because of these factors that I turned to  head-fi audio and away from high end. I love this sensible and more affordable alternative. Let's be careful with our hobby. OK?

deadhorse.gif
?

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #245 of 303
Doc B's headphones were display only, I believe they're still a work in progress. They did look really cool though.

Mar 13, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #246 of 303
OK, I'm going to throw in a dissenting voice, or at least offer a topic for conversation. It  was nice to see all the beautiful gear and nice people having a good time at the show. However, I have noticed our hobby going increasingly down the sorry path of high-end audio. I watched with dismay as TAS (especially) and Stereophile (and others) corrupted what was once a fun hobby, turning it into a more-is-always-better $-swamp in which it became "normal" to see $100,000 turntables and half-million dollar speakers. I'm sorry, but that is absurd. Even moderately priced equipment got dragged along to ever higher pricing or fell by the wayside. Snake Oil made many people rich, and even people who knew better (e.g., some designers who were trained as electrical engineers) either went along or kept quiet. Harry Pearson could kill a product--sometimes even a small company--with one bad review. What I'm getting at is, I don't want to see this happen to our hobby. It was largely because of these factors that I turned to  head-fi audio and away from high end. I love this sensible and more affordable alternative. Let's be careful with our hobby. OK?

deadhorse.gif
?

Fair enough observation/opinion of the hobby and the industry, but how does this relate to the meet? I saw lots of alternatives to high cost at the meet. More importantly I was able to listen to gear so I could make up my own mind with my own ears vs. buying into marketing hype or FOTM. Seems to me that meets are exactly what's needed to avoid the potential pit falls you describe!

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #248 of 303

Quote:
Fair enough observation/opinion of the hobby and the industry, but how does this relate to the meet? I saw lots of alternatives to high cost at the meet. More importantly I was able to listen to gear so I could make up my own mind with my own ears vs. buying into marketing hype or FOTM. Seems to me that meets are exactly what's needed to avoid the potential pit falls you describe!

Yep... It's hard not to be swayed by FOTM or marketing, or general hype. But keeping an open mind and really listening for yourself is the way to avoid those traps. And yes, the Meet is a great way of separating fact from fiction (or reality from fantasy).

'Value' is the ideal that keeps things sane for me. 'The best money can buy' is ususlly not where I wind up. First because it usually isn't, and second because that's all a matter of opinion that I may not necessarily share.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #249 of 303
It's like a car show.  If it were all Hondas and BMWs, it wouldn't be all that exciting or interesting.  That said, it's still important to have everything from a Chevy Cruze to a Bugatti.  They each have their purpose:  Something you might actually buy, something you aspire to, and finally something you know you will never have but would love to experience.  It's why when people say, "My stuff is pretty common- I don't know if I should bring it to the meet," I always say, "Bring it... bring it all!"

Quote:
'The best money can buy' is usually not where I wind up. First because it usually isn't, and second because that's all a matter of opinion that I may not necessarily share.

"Best" is such a loaded word- especially around here.  It's almost like asking "what is the best pair of shoes?" 
blink.gif

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #250 of 303
Good feedback. Yes, I agree that value is key and that meets are a good place to explore. 

Quote:
Yep... It's hard not to be swayed by FOTM or marketing, or general hype. But keeping an open mind and really listening for yourself is the way to avoid those traps. And yes, the Meet is a great way of separating fact from fiction (or reality from fantasy).

'Value' is the ideal that keeps things sane for me. 'The best money can buy' is ususlly not where I wind up. First because it usually isn't, and second because that's all a matter of opinion that I may not necessarily share.

Mar 13, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #252 of 303

Quote:
"Best" is such a loaded word- especially around here.  It's almost like asking "what is the best pair of shoes?" 
blink.gif

That's a croc, in my opinion...
blink.gif

tongue_smile.gif

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #253 of 303

Quote:
That's a croc, in my opinion...
blink.gif

tongue_smile.gif

I suppose you could add up an average of users and make a statement that something is "the best" according to the majority. In reality (pardon the upcoming cliche') everyone has different ears and different opinions. 

I say relax on the whole "best headphone" theory and just let everyones ears/pockets decide on whats best for their situation. Honestly, if there were only one "best" headphone it would be advertised as such. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #254 of 303
Mar 14, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #255 of 303

Users who are viewing this thread

Back