Amazing Bay Area Meet 2/19/11 Impressions Thread!
Mar 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #212 of 303
Mar 7, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #213 of 303
Glad to hear that you had a great meet in Seattle, Doc!

Thanks again for attending ours and for donating a Crack Amp Kit to the raffle!

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #215 of 303
I calculated that sometime around the 15th I'd start paying a lot of attention to any mail...trying not to think about it until then. 
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #216 of 303

Quote:
Yes.  The UE rep at the meet had attendees add their names to a list, along with their email address and the IEM they were interested in.  UE subsequently contacted those attendees via email.

FWIW -- UE really needs a better way to demo their IEMs.  The universal fit adapted customs worked pretty well, but the amp they were using (driven by an laptop's analog output) didn't really show what the IEMs were capable of.  I was going to pass on the UERM before I heard it out of my own system.  The difference was pretty dramatic.

Yes, our setup was pretty modest, but please let me elaborate a bit on this...

The highest priority for us is to get an amplifier that guarantee the frequency response curve for our custom IEMs.  The one we used at the meet, ART Headamp 6 Pro, is one out of about 20+ devices we tested that can do the job.  We found SM Pro's HP6E and another one from Rane performed equally well, although 1 or 2 db of difference across a wide range of frequency make these sounding different from each other. 

We wanted to provide the minimum, enough for people to tell the difference between each model, get a sense of what our IEMs are capable of.  We could do different things, such as using a high-end DAC, headphone amp, or even 24 bit encoded music files, but that could also create a different kind of bias in terms of perception, because not everone will have the same setup. 

We do appreciate your comment and we'll bring up a second setup next time, to offer a different level of comparison :)

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #217 of 303
Honestly, I can appreciate where you're coming from, Vince. I used to hate trying out headphones and stuff at stores, because you never knew if it was the headphones that sounded amazing, or simply the setup they had that sounded amazing. At least with a modest setup at the meet at the UE table, you know what you're enjoying is really just the IEM's themselves, and you know that it'll only get better on your own setup.

Vince,

I hate to be that guy, but any ETA on the IEM's? We're dying and drooling here! =P

Quote:

The highest priority for us is to get an amplifier that guarantee the frequency response curve for our custom IEMs.  The one we used at the meet, ART Headamp 6 Pro, is one out of about 20+ devices we tested that can do the job.  We found SM Pro's HP6E and another one from Rane performed equally well, although 1 or 2 db of difference across a wide range of frequency make these sounding different from each other. 

We wanted to provide the minimum, enough for people to tell the difference between each model, get a sense of what our IEMs are capable of.  We could do different things, such as using a high-end DAC, headphone amp, or even 24 bit encoded music files, but that could also create a different kind of bias in terms of perception, because not everone will have the same setup. 

We do appreciate your comment and we'll bring up a second setup next time, to offer a different level of comparison :)

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #219 of 303
^Horio, It sounds like Vincent/UE are willing to come up to the Bay Area Meet again...are you willing to drag the vinyl out again? 

Quote:

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #220 of 303

Quote:
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

The Ultimate Ears Crew

to me
show details 5:51 PM (2 hours ago)

Dear Benjamin:
We are excited to let you know that your Ultimate Ears Custom Monitors are ready to ship! 

To ensure that you have the best experience, please follow this link to watch a video that describes how to wear and take care of your monitors.

Thanks again and we're looking forward to hearing from you.

The Custom Crew
Ultimate Ears

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #224 of 303

Quote:
^Horio, It sounds like Vincent/UE are willing to come up to the Bay Area Meet again...are you willing to drag the vinyl out again? 

That would be fantastic.  I hope they do make it down to the next Bay Area Meet.  I will definitely have molds made then, and probably get a pair.  There was just so much going on at last months meet, that somehow I never made it over to their table (even though it was only a couple down from mine).  I can drag along the vinyl rig again.  By then I should have some new toys to plug it in to as well!  (see my signature)

Mar 10, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #225 of 303

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. 

I guess I've come to assume that vendors of audio gear will always present their equipment at its very best.  Your approach is certainly honest.  Due to my own assumptions, it surprised me a bit. 

Could the different approach be attributed to UE serving a different primary market than the audiophile community?  Your product line is primarily targeted at performers and pro-audio.  While I don't doubt that you consider audiophiles important customers, your focus on the pro-audio community probably has an impact on presentation decisions.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Adding a high end system to your presentation will probably create quite a queue at your table the next time you appear at a Head-Fi meet.  I don't doubt that it will also enhance sales.
smile.gif

I appreciated your [size=11pt]trusting [/size]me with one of your IEMs at the meet so that I could walk off with it and spend some time evaluating its performance with other gear.  That exploring resulted in my becoming a customer.

Quote:
Bah, that made me go check my mail box and I didn't get a shipped message =(

Me too -- just checked! 
Rats!  Nothing yet.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back